Sausage Gravy And Biscuits, Great Recipes

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)
  1. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
    crazyhorsesghostposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11921142_f520.jpg
    Sausage Gravy over homemade biscuits is one of the best things on earth. Here we have a recipe for the best sausage gravy you will ever taste in your life and a delightfully delicious and easy recipe for Baking Powder Biscuits. If you want to serve the best gravy and biscuits ever then you need to check out these two wonderfully delicious recipes.

Sausage Gravy Recipe

1 Pound Breakfast Sausage
    2 Tablespoons Very Fine Minced Sweet Onion
    6 Tablespoons All Purpose Plain Flour
    1 Quart Whole Milk
    1 Teaspoon Fine Ground Nutmeg
    1 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
    Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
    Dash of Tabasco Hot Sauce

Crumble your sausage up in a large deep skillet over medium low heat. Break the meat up in small pieces while it cooks but do not let it get too brown or get crisp.

When the meat is about two quarters cooked, add the onions and cook until the onion is real soft. Do not over cook the sausage or the onion.

Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the meat drippings. You don't have to be real precise about this. Stir the flour in with a wire whisk. Cook over medium low heat for 8 - 10 minutes or until the flour turns golden brown and bubbles up.

Pour in the milk all at once and add the seasonings. Cook and stir until the mixture thickens. Place at least three biscuit half's on a plate and top with your homemade sausage gravy.

Baking Powder Biscuits

6 Cups All Purpose Plain Flour
    1/2 Cup Instant Dry Powdered Milk
    1/4 Cup Baking Powder
    1/4 Cup Sugar
    2 Teaspoons Ground Sea Salt
    2 Teaspoons Cream of Tartar
    1 Cup Cold Lard Like Crisco Cut Into Very Small Pieces
    1 Cup Cold Butter Cut Up In Pea Size Pieces
    1 3/4 Cup Buttermilk

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

In a very large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the shortenings and the buttermilk.

With a pastry blender, cut in shortenings until mixture resembles course crumbs

Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. With a fork, quickly and lightly combine the ingredients. Not all of the flour will be incorporated at this point.

Turn the dough out onto a well-floured pastry cloth or board and, with floured hands knead it 8 - 10 turns until smooth. Roll out to about 3/4 inch thick.

Use a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter to cut the dough and prick each biscuit three times with a fork.

At this point freeze or bake the biscuits. If using immediately, place about 2 inches apart on oiled cookie sheets and bake for 13 - 16 minutes or until golden brown.

To freeze, place un baked biscuits on sheets in freezer. When they are hard transfer to a zip lock freezer bag. To serve, remove as many biscuits as needed and bake frozen on oiled cookie sheets in a 400 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes.

And guess what? You now know exactly how to make the best Biscuits and Gravy you will ever eat in your life. And yes I do mean the best ever.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Whoa! Hold on there! Allow me to let you in on a modern day revelation.

Forget all that "made from scratch" sausage gravy work. Here is one of the best sausage gravies you will ever taste!

1 lb. Bob Evans Sage sausage
      2 packs Pioneer brand Country Sausage Gravy mix. (but use milk instead of the recommended water)

Don't doubt me on this. Try it. But, it must be Pioneer brand. I know it is blasphemy to tout a "package mix" over made from scratch - but sausage gravy over biscuits is one of my favorite meals. I could eat it four or five times a week, and if I were a condemned man it would be my choice for a last meal.

My grandmother used to make the best sausage gravy in the world. (her biscuits were soft-top made from scratch), but when she turned me onto her secret, (the Pioneer powdered package mix), I felt like she had cheated.

This is a standard Sunday breakfast on our Boy Scout camping weekends, and I always get standing ovations.

So, if you can't find it at a local grocery - get some from Amazon, then come back and tell me how right I am.

Just sayin'

GA

2. Victoria Lynn profile image87
      Victoria Lynnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, wow. I am salivating. This looks like wonderful recipes!

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
        crazyhorsesghostposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is a wonderful recipe with a lot of flavor.

2. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
    crazyhorsesghostposted 9 years ago

Thanks GA. I will give it a try. But mine is oh so wonderful homemade. I've made it for about 50 plus years. But I will try yours also.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You will surprised by the Pioneer brand mix. But, regardless, it would be hard to make a "bad" sausage gravy.

I agree with you wholeheartedly - it is one of the best meals on earth. I guess it is not surprising that my family agrees with me to the point that we frequently have breakfast-type meals for dinner.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)