Who’s King of Computers?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (61 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image83
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11920592.jpg
    My first computer was a "built to specs" SX 486x with 160 MB hard drive and 4 MB RAM. It had a pair of cute little speakers and it ran Windows 3.1. When Windows 95 came out that same year; I was elated!

Now times have changed and so have computers. Those of us who have witnessed this evolution can’t help but wonder where it all will end (if it will all end.) You have those loyal Apple fans who would rather eat dust than change to a PC and you have the same lot in the PC world.

Just who (in YOUR opinion) is KING COMP …?

1. ronbergeron profile image83
      ronbergeronposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linux. RedHat/Fedora has been my primary OS for about 14 years. I go back to Windows to run Photoshop for the times that GIMP isn't quite enough, but otherwise go weeks/months without running Windows at home.

I do run Windows 7 in work. It's in a virtual machine running on my Fedora desktop. I do that for convenience to maintain simpler compatibility with Outlook, Word, and Excel along with the Active Directory tools that aren't available for Linux.

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

So, is it safe to say that you are basically a PC person, just not a Windows fan?

1. ronbergeron profile image83
          ronbergeronposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've never had Mac, so I don't have any basis for an opinion about them.

2. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I've used both Mac and PC, but at home, I'm a PC girl, and always will be.

I have a Dell desktop right now. It's my second Dell, and, for the most part, I've been very happy with it. Last year, the hard drive started to die, so I had it replaced, and when the repair shop installed the new one, I asked them to install only Windows 7, and the drivers necessary to get everything working. With all the extra bloatware from Dell removed, it's now the perfect machine.

Sadly, I tried to replace this desktop with a new one from Dell. Blue Screens of Death, three or four times a day. Corrupted files, bugs and errors that were so numerous, it was like playing Whack a Mole to get rid of them all. I worked with it for two weeks, and then returned it for a refund. I told Dell that I didn't think it was my responsibility to do a major bug hunt on a brand new system. I won't be buying another one.

I've had Dell, HP and Compaq (who HP bought) and I've always loved the Dell best. But I did get one Dell lemon. I have found that within the first year ... if you have problems during the first year period ... then you have a problem system. Overall, Mac is greater but I can't afford one. They have a closed architect so its harder to create clones.

I think your experience with that Dell was a bummer! I would have been upset too.

My latest loves are the mini desktop Dell Inspiron and this Dell laptop Inspiron that I am banging on now with it attached to a 24" monitor extended. I think Windows 8 sucks but they have improved with the Windows 8.1 upgrade. Window 98 was my all time favorite followed by Windows XP and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Love my PC!

3. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

Sometimes you just get a lemon, no matter what the brand, when you buy a new PC.
    My last PC was returned to the manufacturer within three weeks, and they said there was nothing wrong with it.   Hah!   Several technicians and a few hundred dollars later, it finally worked.
    Not for long though - in the next twelve months it killed two HDDs so it had to go.
    Now I have a Hewlett Packard, and it works just fine!
    Never had a Mac, so have to say I'm a PC girl.  :-)

As to operating systems, bring back Windows 7, I say!

I hear you! I agree with you 100% about getting a lemon no matter what the PC. I've had an ongoing love affair with HP (Hewlett Packard) and Dell for years but in the end Dell won out. Now when it comes to printer ... HP "hands down" as a winner!

Now when Windows 8 first came out; I was totally unimpressed. Windows 7 was the closest thing to my beloved Windows XP. I really, really loved that old XP. I still have one but it seems to be slowing down all the time. Luckily, I was able to get a replacement 17" Dell Laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate. I still even have my computer with Windows 98 on it and it works fine. Its an old Compaq, now how is that for a hard working system! I bought it back in 1999!

I've always wanted a Mac but just couldn't see myself coughing up the money when I could get a PC at such a reasonable price. Besides, I used to do tech support for Gateway so I know the systems!

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had nothing except H-P's for a while and thought that I would continue with them, but unfortunately I had to buy a low-priced e-machine's for my current one. Luckily I must have picked a good one. When I can afford them, I will go back to H-P's. I have used Windows 7 for a while without upgrading, it works fine.

1. PhoenixV profile image63
        PhoenixVposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had an emachine for years and then even added some ram and it lasted for another couple of years, until the fan started messing up. It ran pretty much non-stop for years. After that I bought another, only it was a refurbished small form 500 dual emachine, for a 100 bux and its going on two years and runs great. My biggest problem is I got plenty of computer and not enough internet speed.  I would gladly take a 80 gig junker with lowly 512 ram - only with fiber optic internet.

1. Sed-me profile image79
          Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe HP's only allows English postings.

What, too many run-on sentences?

Just a lot of pretend words.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

Do you speak computers? I understood it fine.

Actually, that was the joke... I don't speak computers and he obviously does... quite well. smile

Sorry. :-)

I have AT&T U-verse and it seems fine. I have had no problems with the for one thing.

I was wondering if U-verse was good, thanks.

It is on a phone line instead of cable. I do not seem to have the problems which I had with the cable. I am not sure, but the cable may only run to certain areas while the U-verse may travel to more areas. If you want, I can give you a link to their online site and you can check them out.

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image83

It's okay ... I've had issues with it. I've gotten discounts on my last 4 bills.

You have had issues with the cable or the U-verse? I had problems almost every day with cable, I have not even called U-verse cust. serv. once.

It was with the actual Uverse "transformer" or whatever they call the equipment at the site. My computer, telephone and wiring were fine. At least 5 different technicians came out and replaced everything including the router and that did not solve my problem of interruption of service. Then one final smart tech realize that it was ATT's equipment at their substation and NOT mine. That really put me off but I continue to use their service because of the willingness and courtesy from customer service to billing to technician.  Now that's SERVICE!

When it was at their end I received online notice(s) and just had to keep checking again in certain time. I did nothing.

3. lisavollrath profile image93
              lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have U-verse, with no phone line. It's on a dedicated line that's just hooked up to the router. The service is pretty reliable, and the speed is good. God help you if you need to call customer service, though. It's brutal.

There were problems with the transformers. It kept going out and I would lose both my phone and Internet. I was very professional with them and quite knowledgeable too! When it works it's satisfactory but when it doesn't it's highly disturbing! Still, I love my PCs.

Lisavollrath,
                The phone line seems better and I have not called cust. serv. once. Seems like no problem with weather like with cable.

3. Jacqueline4390 profile image83

Oh my ...80 GB? Wow ... I'd fill that puppy up in no time. Now if you want to talk about Internet speed, I miss Comcast. I have ATT U-verse and well ...

I only have 4 G's, split 2 and 2, and I still have room.

2. PhoenixV profile image63

Yea, 80 g does not sound like much, but I came home one day to find my nephew had downloaded the Library of Congress on it. j/k sorta. But after that (and a destructive restore) I began to just keep everything stored online. Flickr, notepads etc etc. Youtube has all the music I need etc. That way if I get a new computer or do a destructive restore, lightning, tornado, I dont miss a beat.

That's one heck of a download! I always keep an eagle eye on my grandson when he comes over and wants to use my computers (my bread and butter) with the threat of human sacrifice :-)
              It's just too easy for kids to download junk that takes rocket science to remove.

Parental controls ... c'mon!

Yea ya gotta watch them, they will turn a 500 dollar computer into a 50 dollar boombox/video game lol

Please, tell me about it! This is the very reason why I gave him one of my computers. In the hope that he would learn the "care and feeding" of your computers. My "girls" are like my family :-)

Oh yes, e machines. Every one I've ever bought I have fixed them up and sold them to others. I've had about 5 but would never keep one.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I started with PC's, but made the switch to a Mac and the blue screens of death are a thing of the past.  I'm a Mac girl forever.

She's a Mac Girl forever! I hear you ...

5. clivewilliams profile image71
    clivewilliamsposted 9 years ago

MICROSOFT for simple reasons

1. Consumer market
    2. cheaper computers
    3. hackers love them

Now you are broaching a subject that really gets my goat ... hackers! If a person is so dad-gum good with computers ... why take pleasure in ruining someone's life by infatuating their computers to work mayhem! Somebody needs to get a life ... and preferably NOT MINE!

I use Avast! and it always warns me when there is malware, plus it has removed it.

I have that on my new laptop. McAfee is on all my computers and it is constantly scanning. I just don't understand people who put so much work and effort into doing something illegal when those talents should be put to productive measures.

Because it is fun for them, they think that they are geniuses, and they like the dares and risk of "the game".

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Well ... I was going to say Writer Fox is King of Computers.

Window XP is the best system I have worked on and I hate to see that MS dropped it, no longer support it.

I stick with Windows 7 now, have had no problems and not updated when given offers.

I will agree with you 100% on this. I have had to retire my XP computer because for some reason it seemed to work slower and slower. May have been just my imagination but who knows. Windows 7 is a very good substitute, though. Internet Explorer needs some fine tuning.

I tried IE but it kept messing up, so I had switched to Firefox but sometimes that did not work. I tried Chrome and have been with it for a while; usually without updates.

Funny you should mention that. I just got off a 3 hour phone call with a Microsoft Technician. I have Office SharePoint on my computer and it doesn't work with Internet Explore in changing some photos on my website. Imagine that ... Internet Explore not working with a Microsoft product!!!

Well, the tech never could get it to work so he had to install Firefox so it would. Ha, now tell me what this says about the product?

Um, that it was not made for IE? I have not used my IE for years now. It just sits there doing nothing and updating itself. Once in a while I use Firefox, but in general I use Google Chrome. I use Office Word all of the time and I could try it with IE to see if it works.

The problem is once they upgraded to IE 11 things started happening. Microsoft is the provider of my website so their products are support to work in sync. Oh well ...

I do not even know what mine is up to...

7. taiwokareem profile image60
    taiwokareemposted 9 years ago

you get a job in microsoft if you manage to hack into their security system. so i have herd from many people

I believe that! I don't even think their own techs know what they are doing sometimes ... let me rephrase that. Some of those tech are on the money but it just depends on who you get and whether or not they can speak English.

8. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

Haven't got a clue what version of IE is on my PC, as I never use it.   Suppose it updates itself with the other Windows updates though.

I never use mine either, I just see the updates come in and I think the last one was 11. I am not sure.

You know, I really love my PCs but I wonder if the Apple crowd has as many issues with their computers as we do. I sure would like to know.

I put it up as a question plus some may see it on here.

1. profile image0
          Snakesmumposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think Apple do have as many problems.   Their system seems to be less subject to hacking, and BSODs, from what I've heard.   Have never used Apple myself.

I have never heard any complains from Mac users. I used it in college but never bought one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)