Moving Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (54 posts)
  1. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

What criteria do you use to decide which hubs to move elsewhere?
    Afterall, we have no idea as to which ones are earning any money for us other than sales, which is even a guess!

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not do anything. HP is moving them around for me on the stats page.
      Looking at stats (up top) and Earnings compared with Google Analytics can tell us a lot about our Hubs, when you know how.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Examiner1. Why need to move them? If you think you can draw more traffic by moving to your blog, then it is okay. If there is no such scope, as traffic may be the same whether at hubpages or your blog, then there is no point in moving.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

With the HP Earnings Program, you get paid per view.  Therefore the Hubs with the most views are the ones earning the biggest income. 

If you are just using Adsense, then you can see which Hubs are earning income on your Adsense account.

I agree the weak point is not knowing your sales, if you're using the HP Amazon program.  However for Hubs which came over from Squidoo, you probably have a fair idea which ones made sales there - there's no reason to suppose the pattern would have changed even if traffic has dropped.

1. sallybea profile image94
        sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wonder why it is that e-Bay sales do reflect which hub the sale came from but not so on the Amazon Sales report.  Perhaps this is something HubPages staff could look at.

2. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The thing is even if Hub{ages did tell you about your Amazon sales they'd still be only telling you about 60% of them - and you'd never know which ones generated sales but the income got picked up by Hubpages

I much prefer the Squidoo Model where we got all the information - for every sale on every lens - and then there was a pro rata share on the sales income.

It's also a model which is much nicer to those people who live in states which don't like Amazon.

3. Nancy Hardin profile image59
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LindaSmith1, I'm looking at the ones that are featured and the ones that are not featured. If they're not featured, I check to see if I can edit them to make them featured. If not, it's time to move them elsewhere. There are other places that will gladly accept product reviews and book reviews, etc. that aren't doing well on HP. Most of my articles will remain Hubs, but there are a few that need to be moved.

4. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If the Hub is unfeatured many times and I've edited it many times to get it back to featured, I eventually move it. Hasn't happened often, but that's my base criterion. Hubs that get a lot of traffic, I leave here on HP for sure.

My reasoning for moving a badly performing Hub to one of my own sites is that I add content to my site that way. I think fresh content is still good, as long as it's quality content, so I add a low performer to my own site if it's not going to be seen at all (due to being unfeatured) here at HP. Meanwhile, write up new content for my sites too.

5. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't mivemy hub yet, i justedit the unfeatured and wait. Showed some increased views. If it doesn't, i will move it to my own blog

6. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've spent the past two weeks moving articles off HubPages. I started by thinking everything would go, so I began by removing the articles that were lowest ranked. What I discovered is that by removing those articles with low rank and low page views, I continued to earn the same amount, or more, every day.

I think now I'm leaving a handful of articles here. Two of them are staying because I don't have another place to move them, and they're getting good traffic here. The rest are staying because they are getting steady traffic, and contain links to my other sites, where more content in those article topic areas awaits. For example, I have a hub on where to find images for mixed-media art, and the very first link is to the 1,200 free collage sheets I have archived on my own site.

I guess to answer your question: if it's getting good traffic here, or steady traffic and contains links to my own sites, it stays. Poor traffic here, and it goes to a site where, surrounded only by similar content, it might do better.

1. sallybea profile image94
        sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is really good news - I am so glad you have decided to stay:)

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is exactly my thinking.  No point in throwing the baby out with the bath-water.

I am not sure if I will write more articles here but the internet goes around in circles.  Do something else for a while and see what happens.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

Sounds like an eminently sensible solution and a good balance (of course I'm possibly biased, having implemented exactly the same strategy myself a while back!)

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I look at the monthly traffic. If it is almost nothing, I move them. If it is a seasonal hub, I wait until the season arrives and if it still doesn't get traffic then I move it.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image59

makingamark;  It would be nice if HP provided more information than they do. 

I went back to using my own Amazon associate ID for that reason, even if they do grab part of my sales.  At least I know which products are being sold, and clicked on from Amazon reports.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

There you go, Linda.  In that case you know exactly which Hubs are making money, because you know

- which Hubs are making Amazon sales;
      - which Hubs are making eBay sales;
      - which Hubs are earning the most on the HubPages Ads Program (based on number of views, which you know);
      - which Hubs are earning the most on Adsense. 

What else do you need to know?

1. LindaSmith1 profile image59
        LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

ad earnings    CPM could be high for one hub that gets low traffic that may do better than one with  higher traffic at a lower CPM.

We don't know how much each hub earns. We can only assume.

To get Amazon information, I had to go back to my own account and settle for lower commission just to get information.

Another thing is that most of my hubs are days to a few months old, less than a year old for sure.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LInda, Unless they are well over a year old, I wouldn't worry. As they age, they can get more traffic.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image59

It is a complicated decision.  I have one that I would move,  but I have made a large sale on it.

I may take the ones I think might be dead and simply unpublish them to see what happens to earnings.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image59

That is what I am thinking Barbara.  I have some stinkers that are doing nothing for the time they have been here.  I have one that I need to change if my idea is correct.  So I have a test hub for that idea.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image59

Traffic to blog is low but at least it isn't in the minus like HP traffic is.

7. meloncauli profile image90
    meloncauliposted 9 years ago

Hi all
    When moving a hub, can you tell me the best way please? Do you unpublish from HP and remove the link in your Adsense account? How long do you wait before you move it, and do you just put the url back in Adsense once it's moved?
    Many thanks.

If you're moving it to your own blog, all you have to do is unpublish on HubPages and republish on your blog.

The only time you need to notify Google is if you want to publish on another site like HubPages, which doesn't allow duplicate content.  If you're moving it to your blog, Google will soon work out where it's moved to all by itself. 

You don't have to remove the Hub from Adsense either - those links are just there for your benefit, to give you better reporting.   Adsense doesn't use them for anything.  If a Hub no longer exists, it just stops earning.    So, the neatest way to handle Adsense is to wait until you've moved them all then tidy up the list.

1. meloncauli profile image90
        meloncauliposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was told today by the someone on the Adsense forum that when you move articles you have to wait a while for them to come out of the search engine before you can put them on another site. Then I was told to delete the url from Adsense and add my blog url for it to pick up all my moved articles. She was also asking me if I have a hosted Adsense account - well confused me LOL

You're always going to get conflicting advice.   That advice applies if you're moving it to any other writing site.  You can do it if you're moving to your own site but it's not essential - I'm only suggesting you don't worry about it because I think you have enough on your plate!

Yes you should add your blog URL (not each individual post) to Adsense.   

With Adsense, there are two different kinds of accounts. One is limited, where you've been given permission to use Adsense on one site.  The other gives you permission to use Adsense on any site you like.  Personally I wouldn't worry too much about using Adsense on your blog as you'll earn very little from it.  Concentrate on Amazon and find other affiliates that are relevant to your topic.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image59

meloncauli

Make sure you have a copy saved of the hub you are moving.
    Copy URL and save it.
    Unpublish and delete hub
    Go to Google URL removal tool, put url of hub in box and click.  You should see it come up with pending.  Google takes a few days to remove it from search engine.

Leave your adsense account alone!

Thanks very much. I take it that all I have to do once I have quite a few articles on my WP site is to add the url of my homepage as another site to Adsense?

1. NateB11 profile image89

All that you really have to do is create ads on Adsense and copy and paste the codes for the ads to your site.

However she does have to be sure that she has permission to do so.

Yes. But I feel like I'm missing something here. My understanding has always been that you can use your ad unit codes if it's your own site with your own content and/or on a site that's not yours that allows you to put your code on the site. I'm guessing that's what you are referring to; using it on sites that are not yours.

I think I am confusing myself as usual!  Surely Adsense needs to know my blog url? I don't have to do any of this at the moment but I don't like the confusion.

What I have done is when I want to put Adsense ads on one of my own sites, I create ad units;I grab the code for the ad unit, put it on my site. Adsense automatically starts recording and showing stats and earnings from that site. With your own site, I know you can do it this way.

2. NateB11 profile image89

I see. Thanks. It does say to add url of new site smile

Yes, if you have an allowed sites list.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

As I just replied to Nate, it depends what kind of Adsense account you have.  If it's "hosted", then you'll need to follow these instructions to apply for permission to use the code on your own site:

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/2534771?hl=en

If you've got a full Adsense account then you don't need to ask their permission and you don't even have to add the site to your URL list - although it's a good idea to do so, so you get the right reporting.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

It depends what kind of Adsense account she has.   There are two levels - one (hosted) is granted for use on one site only, and the other you are free to use anywhere you like.

If the account is hosted, then you need to apply for permission to use it on another site, even if it's your own blog:

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/2534771?hl=en

Oh, okay, I get it now. I didn't know about that. Hope meloncauli got that.

2. NateB11 profile image89

Actually, looking at their policies, looks like you can authorize or not authorize sites to use the ad code, but they advise using caution with that feature because you could lose revenue.

9. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Are you moving between accounts on HubPage or moving off the site altogether.

If moving off the site altogether, you also need to ensure that the site has been wiped clean from the Google Index before republishing. Time varies as to how long this takes.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can remove URLs from Google's search results using Google Webmaster Tools. It's said to take about 24 hours for a URL to be removed, but it took about four hours last time I used it.

Thanks - I will go there and try and work it out. smile

1. makingamark profile image70
          makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For me it's always been just a few hours - however it also hiccups and now and again it can take a lot longer

2. meloncauli profile image90

Hi. I am moving some to a blog.

3. meloncauli profile image90

I am moving only about half of my articles to Wordpress and leaving the rest here.

10. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

Sorry if someone already pointed this out, and maybe this falls into the "duh!" category for some, but with all the notices that have recently popped up on my account, alerting me to the fact that my content has been stolen ... and stolen ... and stolen ... be careful when deleting hubs in order to move them. If you remove your original content and, with it, the original publication date, you may have a hard time getting plagiarized content removed. Or you could run into the duplicate content problem if you try to republish your work on another site that's not your own.

Excellent point.  It's vital to check for theft first.

2. meloncauli profile image90

Thanks. I will check for plagiarism first.

11. LindaSmith1 profile image59

l don't understand the theft of content when there is Ezine articles, a ton of article directories, etc where they can copy away for nothing.

Simple.  HubPages provides longer, better quality articles than the others. 

Many spammers don't even know it's illegal.  There are companies selling software to scrape HubPages to gullible website owners.

12. Nancy Hardin profile image59
    Nancy Hardinposted 9 years ago

Linda, I'm moving my unfeatured ones first, because they aren't earning anything. I will leave the others for the time being. That's my criteria for moving them. It boils down to whether there's a possibility of making money. If there isn't, then it's pulled.

13. LindaSmith1 profile image59

I am doing a little SEO on mine, and checking which page they are on with Google search.  Those I will probably let sit for a bit. I have some that isn't doing much of anything, but we had that cold blast, snow, and holidays starting in October.  I may work on mine a bit, and slowly start moving them. I just made a sale on site I mentioned last night after only 3 days.  So I am going to see what is being clicked on in my reports, and do some posts with them, as well as ones I have made sales on.  I need to decide how I am going to do my new sites too whether to break up the niches into micro niche sites  or to simply do one for each niche.

Micro niche sites are soooo 2010.  Don't waste your time with them, they will work for a little while then Google will dump them. 

One for each broad niche is a much better idea, and I recommend limiting yourself to two or three sites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)