Ruthlessness vs Kindliness in Politics

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

What has happened to politicians today? It seems they care less about the people.  Although some SAY they do while they are selling their wares...…. But, they next day, right after the election... well, we all know what happens after that! Those promised goods go right out the window.

In favor of what, exactly?

Have politicians become more ruthless and less kindly? ...of course, sometimes, ruthlessness and kindness go together…For instance, was Washington or Lincoln ruthless in a kind way? Or how about Nixon? Maybe he was ruthless under the guise of kindliness...

And consider the two Roosevelt presidents: Which Roosevelt was more kind? Teddy or Franklin? Maybe Franklin was kind in a ruthless way…

What about Mark Rubio? He seems kind to me… But then, I'm a conservative.

I am looking for opinions about politicians in general or particular and comments about the the style of politicking today vs. the past.

1. God shet profile image60
      God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good morning in LA!  (Google says 9.10 am there right now)

"I am looking for opinions about politicians in general or particular and comments about the the style of politicking today vs. the past."

~ Politicians, in general, are not the problem. We, human beings collectively, are the problem. Politicians merely represent one section of the entire human life. They are also a part of the culture that they represent. They don't create it. Not at-least highhandedly.

Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good morning to you... what time is it there?
        Thank You for your comment/insight

We are having problems in America and it is truly based on the style of politicking going on. What is creating the ruthlessness in politics that is so evident?

Have the people become ruthless?

Is there anything special about American politicians?

Repeating edited post above:
            We are having problems in America and it is truly based on the style of politicking going on. What is creating the ruthlessness in politics that is so evident?

Have the people become ruthless?

Generally speaking, the mood of politicians is determined by the mood of the people who elect them. It's quite like the saying that 'only a good tree can bear good fruits'.

I may be wrong, again.

Are people more ruthless?

Ruthless:
                "affectless, callous, case-hardened, cold-blooded, compassionless, desensitized, hard-boiled, hard-hearted, heartless, indurate, inhuman, inhumane, insensate, insensitive, ironhearted, merciless, obdurate, pachydermatous, pitiless, remorseless, hard, slash-and-burn, soulless, stony (also stoney), stonyhearted, take-no-prisoners, thick-skinned, uncharitable, unfeeling, unmerciful, unsparing, unsympathetic."
                http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ruthless

Perhaps they are more 'desperate' now. That would be the correct description. 'Desperate'. Less jobs, more relatively lower standards of living, more foreign elements jamming the flow of the original culture, etc ~ all these have made Americans, generally speaking, more desperate.

I might be wrong, third time now. I don't live there. But this is what my experience tells me. And my experience tells me that America will come back stronger as a nation, after this evolutionary period of a 'mild restlessness'.  smile

hmmm… thank You, GS…   I believe you are right about that.

It may be that we are experiencing a baby boom. A thirty something mom in the park watching her 2 little children told me no one is mentioning it.

The point is that modern parents are scurrying to figure out ways to survive. I believe that survival today depends on cooperation and networking, so all the technological abilities for networking both locally and globally will come into play.

Networking is going to be the order of the day…Well, maybe it always has. But today, we have quicker more efficient ways to do so.

Maybe this ability will become the ultimate the check on Ruthless Politicians: Our quick and easy access to each other…

Boundaries to ruthlessness may be in place through technology and can be utilized for the good of the people.

The people just have to realize what the GOOD IS!

- and not put up with ruthlessness by recognizing it and calling the guilty politicians on it. 
                    Maybe directly, through email, face book and twitter…
                    Yes ? No?

2. God shet profile image60

It sometimes amazes me that the problem of homelessness still exists there. There are also slums in America, as far as I know. None of these problems are present in Canada. Perhaps because Canada gambled with less risks regarding its life and culture.

But it is also true that Canada isn't America. There are many good things that Americans have done, for the whole world. smile

2. God shet profile image60

I do not consider  A N Y  politician to be really 'powerful'. No matter what ~ they are destined to suffer if they violate God's laws.

I might be wrong. . .

(It's late afternoon here, 6.18 pm)

Violating God's laws such as: Love God with body, heart, mind and soul, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you?
            I agree, who wouldn't?
            The ruthless would not agree.

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Politics is what we have allowed it to become and condone it with every subsequent election. The politicians base their actions on the power they have, the power to carry it out and the reinforcement of each victory at the ballot box. Close elections are no deterrent as they lean on party support and the gullible electorate to allow themselves to be duped. Know this that without the willing support of the voter to mindlessly cast their votes in favor of whatever prejudice, party or acrimony there will never be any change. Why should it change with being vindicated in every election. We are the problem and we are the solution. Isn't it about time we put our feelings aside and figured it out together?

...the feelings of animosity, competition and knee jerk reactions to every issue. Yes.

We need to know HOW the power we give politicians should be used.

We give them power to help us survive, bottom line.

If it is used for LIFE, it is good. So we need to figure out how politicians can help us to life in abundance and happiness which is our birthright. 

And it is human nature from the time we are very young, to want to do it ourselves.

1. rhamson profile image71
          rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

....We need to know HOW the power we give politicians should be used.

It is already outlined in the Constitution. They are a bunch of lawyers and know how to manipulate anything that comes their way. The key is in the quality of the people who are in there. We have a measure by which we can exclude the ones who are in it for themselves and it is the vote. But as too often the case the other candidate is just as bad as the one you want to throw out. You basically pinch your nose and vote. Career politicians are the problem. They take this as a job and fight to keep the job. That is not governing as it is self serving at best.

....We give them power to help us survive, bottom line.

And survive we do as they get fat in the process. I also think this is in spite of them and little is done on their part to ensure survival.

....If it is used for LIFE, it is good.

The vote ensures that they are held accountable. Unfortunately we don't exercise it adequately.

....So we need to figure out how politicians can help us to life in abundance and happiness which is our birthright. 

Throw them out and find ones that do is the answer. But wait we can't get out of our own way being distracted by ideologies, morality and such. So we are left to survive?

....And it is human nature from the time we are very young, to want to do it ourselves.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. What we fail to realize we did not get here by ourselves. We need others to correct it.

….And survive we do as they get fat in the process. I also think this is *in spite of them* and little is done on their part to ensure survival. 

YEP

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

I think it also boils down to good power vs bad power.   

Intent is the bottom line…  I think this theme is comming into play more and more:
                        Power for Good or Bad.

Q. What is good and bad, as far as politics??

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Freedom of religion should be allowed to be exercised around the world. Freedom of religion means everyone allowing everyone else to worship or not as they please.

Furthermore, politicians should not feel that they should not be religious. They of, course must remember that religion is a personal matter.

God is God in any religion. We can follow God as our souls tell us what is of God. There will be peace in the world when all nations follow the will of God.

There will be peace and prosperity in any country where it's people can discriminate between ego-guided will and their own soul-guided will and willingly choose the latter.

TWISI

+

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)