Slow or frozen browser problem.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

After I have been logged on for a few minutes, my screen is very slow in changing, typing is very slow, or the screen freezes up.
    Browser: FireFox
    Cleared: history, cookies, cache

It takes several seconds to log out. I tried to start this thread once and it took over 20 minutes to type a few words. I logged out and signed back in.

Is this just my old computer, or an HP technical problem?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like it is likely to be an issue with your computer.

Try clearing your browser cache and cookies.
      Upgrade your browser.
      Run a malware and antivirus scan.
      Clear space on your drive.
      You may even want to defragment your drives.

Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Matthew. I did clear cache and cookies. I will follow your other suggestions. Thank you so much.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

Problem is resolved, Matthew. Thank you.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Faith,
      I use Chrome, it happens to me all of the time with or without HP, before I even signed with them. It is the PC. As Matthew said, it is probably cache, cookies, etc. I use tools such as Disk Cleaner, CCleaner, Disk Defragmenter. They clear the extra and unneeded files, temps, cookies, etc.

3. Marketing Merit profile image95
      Marketing Meritposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Phyllis,
      I've been having problems with Firefox for the past few days. I don't think it's HP related.
      I thought that it was my (new) pc or internet connection. However, when I switched to Chrome, normal service was resumed.
      I think that there was an update recently for FF but I skipped it, so am going to go back and update to see if it makes any difference.
      Hope this helps!

Hi MM.  I do have the latest version of FireFox. I am not having any problems on any other sites, just HP.  Whatever it is, I hope it clears up soon. Right now it seems to be ok.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image87
        Jackie Lynnleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks I will try Chrome.

4. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Add a disk clean-up. Download malware anti-malware, the free version from CNET. Very good at removing malware. I find that registry and browser cleaners can sometimes help more than the anti-virus programmes. A good one is AVG tune-up. This will cost about $24-29 dollors and last a year.

Re-start the computer. Simple but sometimes help. Check your memory by right-clicking the computer icon and looking under 'properties.' If necessary, upgrade your memory. Have at least 3G's of Ram.

The problem may be just temporary or real as in viruses and malware. Then the suggested steps should help. Let us know how you are getting on.

Thanks, Manatita. I will follow your advice. I appreciate it.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

Manatita, I downloaded CNET Malwarebytes, cleaned the disk, checked memory -  all seems to be working ok now.   Computer just needed TLC, I guess. I do have AVG already.  Thanks for your help.

1. manatita44 profile image71
          manatita44posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Bravo, Phyllis. Good on ya!

Manatita

Ah hahaha !  Thanks.

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image87

When all else fails I find shutting down completely then signing back in help and I also have my computer set to remove all history upon closing too.

I have shut down completely then signed back in and it did help for the first few minutes after logging back in. I did as Manatita suggested and it seems to be working fine now.

I will have to set my computer to remove all history when I shut down. That is a good idea, Jackie, thank you.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image87

Most welcome!

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

All is well now and I am having no problems. Thank you everybody. I appreciate your thoughts and help.

2. Shades-of-truth profile image84
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

Phyllis, I have not experienced that, and just saw your post so I thought I would add my two cents. Hope you find out what is causing that. I have had that happen, though, recently - just not today.

Hi Shades. Computers!  Guess this is one of those things we have to live with in life.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Absolutely.  Loading time has been horrible. The page is white with the wheel going round and round and round. I left it alone for about 10 minutes and nothing had changed.  Sometimes if I close it and then go back to search to pull it up, it may or many  not come up.  Or if it does come up and I go to click on something, change pages, back to the same ole thing again.

I have rebooted my computer, cleared cache, history of all browsers I use, the main one Chrome and Yes I have the newer version.

I have not had any issues with any other site but Hub Pages.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you are having problems with your browser.

I am using Chrome on the site right now and have had no issues.
      Perhaps you are experiencing a system resource issue like a maxed out CPU or memory. It could also be an issue with your ISP.

What OS are you using, what CPU does it have (model and speed), and how much RAM does your system have?

Who is your ISP and what is your tested upload and download speeds?
      http://www.speedtest.net/

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

For me, it only has been happening with Hub Pages, not with any other site.

Same here, Linda. I only had the problem when on HP. It has cleared up though after some cleaning and scanning. Thanks.

5. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

It has happened to me the past few days, and it has been very cold here. I blamed it on the weather, as I have a wifi connection.

It has been really cold here, too. I followed Matthew and Manatita's suggestions and all is working fine now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)