KNOWN ISSUE: Link showing as broken on broken links page after fixed

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. jodijoyous profile image60
    jodijoyousposted 9 years ago

I had six hubs showing broken links yesterday. I corrected all of them, but two are still showing the broken link icon.  And, the edit date hasn't updated.  Anyone else seeing this?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is a known issue right now that we are working to track down related to the broken links page not updating. It normally should only take a few minutes before changes are reflected.

Try re-checking the links on the broken links page.

If you make changes to URLs do you see those reflected in your Hub?

This information has been passed onto our engineering team so I hope we can determine and resolve the issue soon.

Thanks for your patience.

jodijoyousposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I changed the link URLs, and the change shows. It also tests as OK, and works when you click on it.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Either rerun your broken link checker or reload the dashboard page to clear your cache.

I did both those things.  I even checked on two different devices.  It didn't go away.

1. CuAllaidh profile image81
        CuAllaidhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had that happen a while ago, it went away after a couple of days.

3. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

For the record, I'm experiencing variable responses

Yesterday I worked my way through a hub, corrected all the broken links, republished - and the broken link icon disappeared.

Just now I changed a hub which was missing 'ml' from the end of one link and republished - and the hub is still listed as having a broken link

I went back and copied the correct URL - and then wiped and replaced the whole URL - and tested it. The link said it was OK - so I saved the moduled, republished the hub - and the link was still showing up as broken!

It would be nice to have some consistency as to how long it takes for the broken link to be recognised.

If it's five minutes that's fine just so long as I know that (Ditto 30 minutes or 24 hours).  The thing is "almost instant" works best for me as it saves having to come back again to check the fix.

It's the variable nature of the response in recognising the fix which is "bugging" me! smile

4. Ceeshell profile image72
    Ceeshellposted 9 years ago

This issue is happening with red skulls as well.

I fixed up a lenshub yesterday and saved the changes with no remaining warnings/error messages on the bub. Today it still shows a skull despite the dashboard having updated and there being no warnings when I go to the hub itself.

If this is not part of the same known issue, I can report it separately.

We partially fixed this (it was not differentiating between case on URLs) but my understanding is that there still are some issues with broken links being identified as such in error or not updating in a timely manner.

If you have some examples, can you share the problematic URL, the browser and OS you are using, and the title and/or URL for the Hub?

Hopefully we can get this fully fixed soon!

Hi Matthew,

One of them resolved itself, but the other is still showing the error. I'm seeing it now on Mac iOS first gen iPad with Safari. I haven't opened the desktop yet, but it was also happening with Mac Snow Leopard and Chrome.

Here's the hub:
        http://jodijoyous.hubpages.com/hub/stor … ll-kitchen

I just checked that Hub (storage-small-kitchen) and I see links to six different domains.

Currently, I don't see any broken links indicated in the Hub, on the stats page, nor on the broken links page.

I checked using Chrome.

If you clear the browser cache and restart the computer, does the issue persist?

5. Isaac Ortiz profile image73
    Isaac Ortizposted 9 years ago

Double check your HTML make sure that the syntax is <a href="http://www.mylink.com">http://www.mylink.com</a>

6. Isaac Ortiz profile image73
    Isaac Ortizposted 9 years ago

To have it open in a new window use:
    <a href="http://www.mylink.com" target="_blank">http://www.mylink.com</a>

7. makingamark profile image71

I've beginning to lose count of the number of times I have tried to fix ONE LINK in http://makingamark.hubpages.com/hub/artbook-favourite

It's a very straightforward fix as the 'ml' of .html got left out by mistake.

If I test the 'fixed' link within the module it comes up OK

If I copy the 'fixed' link and paste it in a browser it brings up the correct link

The fact of the matter is I have fixed it - but the fix does not "take" i.e. there is no recognition of the fix and the fix does not update the capsule.

I wrote an email to the HubPages team about this one http://makingamark.hubpages.com/hub/art-holidays today - exactly the same problem. I repeatedly fix the link - and there is no recognition and no updates.

I've got the same problem on other hubs as well

I'm using an iMac and Chrome

Thanks for the details!

Here is what we have determined.

The updated to the links you made are being saved, but the broken links page and stats page are not updating even when you do a manual check.

So, for the time being, you can disregard any such link that you know is working.

I have shared them with our engineering team so we can get it fixed.

Thanks for your continued patience!

8. jodijoyous profile image60
    jodijoyousposted 9 years ago

Matthew, it was the link to kitchen storage solutions and pantry organization tips (the one suggesting using a tissue box to store plastic bags). I finally just marked it "ignore". The link itself works (click and you go to the site) just fine.

And yes, it kept persisting after clearing everything, and between desktop and mobile.

It appears there is a bug. See post above.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2675043

9. makingamark profile image71

So basically the broken links filter is "broken"?

The scenario you sketched out above is certainly what's happening on my hubs.

Do you have a timeframe for when it will be fixed? 

The thing is it's actually very confusing as the alternative is to keep a manual listing of all those hubs showing as having broken links when those links have been fixed. That option for somebody who has recently transferred in from Squidoo with a large number of hubs and other stuff which needs fixing is a complication I can do without frankly - much as I love the idea of the broken links filter!

We hope to have a fix deployed soon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)