Can't figure this out!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (68 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years ago

Like many here, my views pretty much still suck.  Yet, my hubber score is high, my CPMs are very high and I even have one hub that is ranked as a 100.  I also saw one of my hubs on page one of Google earlier today...sooo...why the low views?

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Election day??? I doubt it and who knows. I don't get it myself.

1. HomeArtist1 profile image58
        HomeArtist1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yup, that's what I surmise. We'll see in the next few days.

2. MelRootsNWrites profile image90
      MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't really know what Google is doing.  I had good numbers like everyone else when we moved.  Then after Panda, they fell.  They started to recover a little, then they fell farther under Penguin.  Then, for about 10 days they soured.  Instead of seeing double digit visitors for a full day, I was seeing triple digit visitors by lunch time. 

Then, Halloween ended.  I expected some drop off.  But, wow...this week my traffic is so bad it feels like only family members are reading my stuff.

This is one heck of a crazy roller coaster ride.  I hope it mellows out soon.

1. profile image0
        robertzimmerman2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Your family members READ your Hubs? I can't get my wife to read them!

1. MelRootsNWrites profile image90
          MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, for as low as my traffic has been, it has to at least be my mother.  LOL

3. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hub score appears to be a rough measure of quality, not traffic.  I had a hub that was getting 1,000 views a day with a hub score under fifty shortly after my account moved over from Squidoo. 

Hubber score appears to be a measure of interaction on HubPages plus a measure of average hub quality as determined by hub score.

I have hubs with great scores that get lousy traffic and hubs with terrible scores that get great views.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I was wondering same thing the other day.  I don't get it.

3. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

My views are actually up towards the end of October, then dropped a bit and are now rising again. I think I have personally gained since Penquin cut in.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Getting ready for Thanksgiving, (buying turkeys and meals, cleaning and preparing for the family). Christmas shopping. Students busy at school. Moms busy with school PTA's; school volunteer programs; etc.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Examiner - 1

I sure hope you are right because my views have fallen from 28,000 per month down to less than 7,000...and this has been a continual pattern since BEFORE Panda, Penguin,Thanksgiving, School,Christmas and everything else.  It is very frustrating!

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I cannot say about Panda or Penguin; but after used to new year, school will settle down; after Thanksgiving, that crowd is over; with most pre-shopping now, Christmas crowd slows down.

5. RockyMountainMom profile image69
    RockyMountainMomposted 9 years ago

I've readjusted my expectations to low hub scores.  Made some adjustments this week that helped some of them. 

BUT, I changed the order of the photos in my (formerly) top hub and it fell.  Thought it might come back up, but it kept falling.  Changed them back to how they were and it fell much faster and continues to fall. 

That is beyond absurd and frustrating.  Totally ridiculous.

6. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

Did you leave the top photo capsule empty for faster page loading?

brake12:   Oh yes.  Did that a long time ago for every single hub.  Did not seem to make much of a difference as far as I can tell, which surprises me because I really thought having those big photos was what ruined my views.  Back to the drawing board!

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I began to remove pics from top right of hub due to page load time. I also went to a hub where just text appeared above the fold. When I tested page load time, it was better. Have you ever done that test on WMT? Tell me what you think? I am not sure what works, just experimenting.

No, I haven't tried it, but common sense tells me that it takes longer for graphics to load than text.  Now none of my hubs have photos that appear above the fold.  Not only does this increase load time, it also give Google room to place its own ads on prime real estate...which I think may be the reason why my CPMs have gone so high...they now are about three times what they normally were before my big surge last Spring...so this means that although my views are just so-so, I am still making payout each month...even now that I've removed about half of my hubs so that I could just have one niche.  I also do not use full width photos or ads anywhere and try to keep most of my videos small as well. 

Here's the thing:  mobile view makes photos, etc. full width anyhow, and while ads may get misplaced, they are still there.  Since I use very few ads, I don't think this hurts me.  I think where people get into trouble is when they have lots of ads and have no choice but to place them full width.

On the other hand, some of the most successful writers here are using full width everything!  So, maybe I'm wrong lol!

TIMETRAVELER,
            Removing the photos may improve your load time, but it does not improve your the Hubs quality towards a Stellar Hub. For that you need at least 3 photos, photos also attract traffic.
            Instead of deleting all of them I would have checked off the box in the capsules "Do not show". Then I would have tested which ones worked best. I also would make sure that all were minimized, except maybe the first. Being smaller would increase the load time.
            By the way, how many Amazon ads do you have? You should only have 2 max. in each Hub. That may be part of the problem.

Examiner - 1

I probably have fewer ads in my articles than anybody else on this site!  Many have no ads and most have two or less.  Once in awhile I'll put in a third, but only when it will be beneficial to my reader.

I generally do not use many photos because I feel they crowd my articles, but I always have one or more videos in my articles because many deal with RV maintenance issues and the videos support my "how to" maintenance advice with good visuals.

I don't see the point of putting pix in articles just to have pix...if they are not meaningful or supportive to the topic, to me they are a waste of space.

However, the ones I do use mostly are MFP, and I do post many of them on Pinterest.

One more thing, Examiner...if you look at my hubber score, you will see that it is always in the high 90's...so I must be doing something right at least as far as HP is concerned!

I see. Well good luck in finding it. :-) If I think of anything helpful, then I will mention it.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
                rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you have the right kind of photos for your hubs and use appropriate titles/captions, they can bring traffic on their own.  Photos are also considered content, so the right pics help add quality to an article.  Some of your pics may make it into a knowledge graph and/or can be found with an image search. 

TT2, you're definitely doing something right!  Hang in there. Your hubs are worth finding and provide helpful, experiential knowledge.

rebekahELLE:  Thanks.  Too bad Google doesn't like me as much as you do, lol!

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
                    rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

smile  I think it's taking time for Google to figure out HP with the recent changes.  I wouldn't try to figure things out, and just continue doing what you've been doing.  I would use photos though.  It can help.
                    I guess, just think about what you want to see in an article if you were searching for your topic.  What would you want to see on the page?  Have you checked to see if your hubs are being crawled daily?

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Where does that advice come from?    I've never heard anyone say you can't have more than 2 per Hub, that sounds like an extreme distortion of the "less is more" advice. 

You may be interested to know that both my websites have more than 2 eBay ads on most pages, and they've actually been doing better since the last Panda update.  The key, I think, is that every single ad is very closely related to the subject.  That's the rule that really matters IMO.

7. RockyMountainMom profile image69

No, but I did temporarily have a picture of me in the top spot, which apparently was unpleasant?  I changed it back to the original.  Maybe there's some big mistake I don't see.  I may have changed the summary, but it doesn't seem worse in any way.

8. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image66
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 9 years ago

I just do not understand all the ratings and rankings. Most of the time I just concentrate on honing my writing skills.

9. RockyMountainMom profile image69

Every now and then something drastic and/or completely nonsensical gets my attention and irks me.  When there's a bit of a pattern I move on, but some of these weird things make me grumble.

10. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

I just put up a Hub on how to make a horse paddock quickly and it has all large size photos. This Hub loads as quickly as any others. I did not reduce the size before uploading they come directly from a Canon Digital Rebel XT.

Since they are not compromising load time I assume that HP are actually compressing images as you upload in order to save on disk space and load time on their servers.

Maybe this is a question to ask the tech guys so that we do not waste time minimizing images that already are? It would be logical if this is what they are doing. I use Smush it on Wordpress and that automatically minimizes picture sizes as I upload.

I think there is just a trend away from pc's towards mobile devices and therefore we should try to maximize the visual impression for these! Personally I prefer my laptop, but younger people use tablets and mobile phones now. That is why larger phones are getting popular.

We should concentrate on quality and just bear this all in mind and hopefully our traffic will come back up as HP gets their servers fully functional, and any penalty coming from the merger works it way out of the system.

I came from Squidoo and after reworking my lenses to Hubs and replacing old links with direct links to HP I am seeing a rise in traffic and oddly after joining HP my Adsense earnings from my other sites is up! Most here say it will drop, not sure why or what the logic was in relation to that?

11. Bambi L'Amour profile image61
    Bambi L'Amourposted 9 years ago

I'm in that top 3% bracket but I still only get 20-30 views per day (and those are good days!), then again I haven't tried to advertise any of my work so alot of that is down to me, I don't really know how to integrate myself into the social fabric of this site, hell I don't even know which genre my stuff would fit in.. in short, it's not just you, I can't work it out either so just enjoy writing and don't worry about the business side of things. Well done on scoring a 100 though! The highest I got for my poetry was 70something and I'm still very proud!!

Bambi L'amour:  What 3% bracket are you talking about?  If you are only getting 20 -30 views per day it is unlikely you are in the top bracket of earners here...what am I missing?

12. Bambi L'Amour profile image61
    Bambi L'Amourposted 9 years ago

It was regarding featured hubs, I actually get more than that now but still.. I haven't signed up for the earnings program, I just like to write smile

Bambi L'Amour

I still don't get what you are talking about.  Getting hubs featured is no big deal, and I have no idea as to how you figure you are in the "top 3%".  Every single hub I write gets featured within two or three hours, and I never felt like I was in the top of anything...just that I was meeting the basic standards for writing here.  I think there must be something you misunderstand about this.

1. Dressage Husband profile image67
        Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think she must mean her featured Hubs have a score of 97% plus. Whatever I am not sure that she is getting it!

I don't think so because her hubber score is only 78.

That is exactly why I do not understand what she is trying to say.

1. Bambi L'Amour profile image61
              Bambi L'Amourposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just got an email regarding featured hubs and that I'm in the 3 per cent who have published a similar or greater number of hubs, most likely only 3% of hubbers accounts are actually active and that would account for it. I don't even know which section to put my hubs in, I just like to write

1. Kylyssa profile image91

It's just a slightly poorly written automatic email that the system kicks out in response to any account having twenty-five featured hubs.  They send it automatically once you have twenty-five featured hubs.  Everybody who has twenty-five concurrently featured hubs gets it.

Within moments of my Squidoo account transferring to HubPages I got the exact same email and my view history in comparison with other hubbers was a complete mystery to the HubPages system.  It was immediately followed by the form emails for each of the other milestone numbers up to 100 hubs.

Compared to some automatic email notifications I've seen from other sites it's literary genius and courtesy gold.  It is a little confusing to read, though.  Its wording isn't extremely clear.

13. LindaSmith1 profile image61

There is no way of knowing if you are in to 10 percent, or bottom 10 percent unless you are privy to that information from somebody at Hub Pages, whether it is hub scores, sales, or earnings.

When you get to 50 Hubs the congratulations note says you made it to the top 5% of Hubbers. This is however only a measure of quantity not quality! Also I am wondering how accurate that is as it will inevitably be a moving target as more and more of us reach it.

14. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I never got any message when I hit 50 hubs. Nobody really knows how the hub and hubber score works.  Previous staff has told us to ignore them, they should be removed.   Write a hub with no pics,no videos, 500 words, and have a hub score higher than one with pics, video, 1000 words and score a 58.       Edit them, the score goes down.  Add content to them, the score goes down,

Hubber score goes up and down as well regardless of how active  you are.

I know, but I was wondering what she meant by top 3%. If you visit her profile I think she must be on something if she seriously thinks that to be true!

The email said I was in the top 3% regarding the amount of hubs of mine that are featured, I still don't know how the system works though..

15. LindaSmith1 profile image61

The accolades say alot!

wink

16. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Bambi:  You must of misunderstood something.  There is no way that you are in top 3 percent with 31 hubs. The top 3 will have hundreds of hubs and probably great earnings.

I think what you saw was a message about being here for 3 years because you have an accolade for it.

"Hi Bambi L'Amour,

You have accomplished quite a feat; you have published 25 Featured Hubs! And guess what? You are in the top 3% of Hubbers who have achieved this milestone. Way to go!

Thanks,
      HubPages"

That's what I meant, I didn't mean I was in top5 best sellers or whatev aha

1. Kylyssa profile image91

That means only three percent of registered Hubpages users publish 25 or more hubs.  It says nothing about the performance of those hubs.

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is true.  The majority of sign ups write a handful of hubs or less and then retire.  If HP is counting all the banned accounts and non-banned 0-hub accounts in the total, the vast majority of "hubbers" probably haven't written anything.

2. Bambi L'Amour profile image61

25 or more featured hubs, that's right, although I"d have thought a lot more hubbers would have similar stats so quite surprising

It is all the more so as the 50 Hubs message only puts you in the top 5%. I think that they must have never updated the message for 25 from the very early days!

17. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I pay no mind to that crap, nor do I pay attention to the accolades. Both are as worthless as the Squid monsters that were used.  I say: Forget the emails, forget the accolades,forget the pat on the back!   Put it in my earnings!

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes those accolades can help a lot.
      If I see a hub like "How to get great traffic with your hub" I always check the accolades before I bother reading it. If the user has been on HP for years and only has 1000 page views....well, do the math.

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do the same thing and pay attention to the accolades for the same reason. Some hubs have more credibility.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

How do you find out the number of page views someone has?  I have never seen anything that refers to that, yet people talk about this all the time.

I cant get exact numbers, of course, but when I look at your profile and see that you have the 100,000 accolade, that makes me trust your advice on getting traffic. There are also some hubbers that have the 10 million accolade, and that makes their advice on getting traffic seem even more reliable.
          It is not accurate, but it is the best we can do.

Many people with those really high numbers were here in the early days when getting views and making money were very easy things to do.  Some people these days do get  views in the millions, but they are few and far between.  If you can find those people (aka Writer Fox), their info is current and reflects their responses to all of the changes that have taken place in recent years.

Yes, so it is also important to notice how long they have been on HP--another accolade to check out. Someone that has been on here only two years and has the 1M accolade usually has good advice.
              Not all of them are willing to give it, of course. Writer Fox´s SEO hub and his forum participation has been exceptionally helpful.

18. dilipchandra12 profile image64
    dilipchandra12posted 9 years ago

I have many hubs on Page one of Google yet views are not upto the mark, i was wondering about this since long back. The worst part, there use to be Google Keyword Tool to check how much traffic is going to a particular title or keyword and now that is not available.

19. LindaSmith1 profile image61

TimeTraveler2: I don't know how. But I have read Alexa, Quantcast even Google Adword planner will give you this information about any website.

20. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Wrylit and GeekGreek also are good and write hubs about SEO, HP, etc. Of course, Writer Fox too!

and don't forget Marisa Wright and Relache.

Barbara Kay also has a hub about getting more traffic that I found very helpful.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Dr Mark

21. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image66
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 9 years ago

TIMETRAVELER2 you are not alone. I am in the same basket as you are, however my followers are increasing by baby steps.

22. tlcs profile image60
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

I'm definitely doing something wrong! My hub views are no where like your lots! Oh well, hay ho!

1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Tics: Traffic down for a lot of us.  Of course toss in the fact that stats have not been updated for almost a week now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)