Have you successfully started a blog and run it alongside HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (38 posts)
  1. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Not quite sure how this works or if it is at all possible, but can you start your own blog and run it alongside HubPages with say blogger.com or would this be wasting time and effort?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image92
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can write here and on a blog - it is more work to keep up with two sites, but you can certainly do that.  Anything you write for HubPages must be original and not duplicated, so you can't use the same article in both places.

1. tlcs profile image62
        tlcsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That was what I wanted to know Millionaire Tips, If you have had an account elsewhere previously would you say that it is worth the hassle of working two?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image92
          Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are many people who recommend working in more than one place.  That way, if something happens to one site, the other site can can help offset the loss.  Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yep, been doing it for years. And, among other things, I use it to send traffic to other Hubber's hubs as well as my own. Makes money for me daily in a number of ways.

1. ChristinS profile image39
        ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, me too.  I run a few blogs and a couple of websites and they make better money for me than HP, but I use HP to cross promote relevant sites/blogs.  My sites that make the most are of course older - it's a game of patience while getting established.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, tics, as long as what you write about here or in the blog has nothing to do with the other. I had started a blog before I joined here and I make sure that nothing here nor there is related to the other in any way.

Another thing is that it can be done as long as you have the time to keep up both. You can choose to either pay for a blog/domain name or choose to get one/both free.

1. tlcs profile image62

Oh gosh! I'm not sure that is what I wanted to here! When I here of other ways to make money by writing I then get my determined head on! However, that said I really am not sure if I could manage two. I just think that somehow I haven't linked everything together, my hubs I think are good, they all seem to have movement on them but I haven't seen any money, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I have checked the tutorials and read other higher ranking hubs and It all seems to be OK, but I just know I haven't done something or maybe I have and three years on it's time to try somewhere else, I really don't know.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Trudy,
          I see that you started two years ago and have 52 Hubs. If you continue to write more Hubs you will continue to gain more views. As they build up, so will the money. Do you have ads on your Hubs? They are important to earn you money.

1. tlcs profile image62

Yes I do have e-bay and amazon but I'm not sure if I have linked them or does HubPages do it automatically? It does state 2 years in my profile but that is out of date unfortunately!

Trudy,
              Do you mean linked them with each other? I never heard of that.

I simply wondered whether you had been here weeks, months or years. When I saw that it was years, that is why I mentioned that you should write more. Unless you do not have time.
              Kevin

2. tlcs profile image62

If I wanted to show my friends on facebook, how do I do that and google+ do I have to put in a code or something or when the hub is published does it automatically show up to facebook and google+?
            By the way thanks for your help, you have helped me before sometime ago

1. tlcs profile image62

Teaches12345 is the only person that has commented on my hubs and each give really good  constructive feedback

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Trudy,
              You can post your Hubs to Pinterest (which I wrote about), G+, Twitter, or Facebook, if you are a member of them. I can help you join by giving you the links to any or all that you want. You can also get them in the 'Learning Center' which is very helpful and here is the link: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/HubP … to-Twitter
              You can either scan to the bottom of the page and go through them one at a time or look to the right and select your favorite.
              Any readers there who see your titles/Hubs may be interested and read them, from there they may leave comments and eventually you might have new followers.
              These outsiders are more likely to click on the ads and buy, slowly increasing your income. Remember, keep writing more Hubs too.
              Kevin

1. tlcs profile image62

Thank you for your help, I have just looked at my amazon and e-bay reports and they all say 0.00 for three year!

1. tlcs profile image62

how do I check that I have set these up correctly please?

Well I do not use e-Bay. Amazon I know that you can select an item related to your Hub. Either by using a keyword or going to Amazon, selecting an item, and using one of three codes: The URL, ASIN or ISBN and then copy/pasting the code to your Amazon capsule.

P.S. - Keep an eye on your PayPal account to check on the income from all of your ads.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
                    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you have to ask, then you don't have them properly set up.

To earn anything at all on HubPages, you need an Adsense account.  The instructions to apply are here:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/signup-AdSense

Once you get approved for your Adsense account, then you can join the HP Earnings Program, which includes Amazon and eBay.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

When you say you haven't seen any money, do you mean that literally?

Have you checked your Adsense account?   Have you checked your Earnings settings on HubPages to make sure everything is set up correctly?

1. tlcs profile image62

Im just going to check that I have an Adsense account, thanks Marisa, I will get to the bottom of this, ok, I may be set up correctly, if that is the case then fine if not then at least I can put it right

1. tlcs profile image62

how do I find out the url's for my hubs please?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Why do you want to know?  If it's to apply for your Adsense account then you are not following the instructions correctly.

1. tlcs profile image62

Do you know what Marisa, I have got the Adsense account, however, wait for it, I hadn't linked the pages to my adsense account! I just continued to write! I have done it now though, we will see, watch this space! three years of work linked now, today.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

TRADEMARKS AND SERVICE MARKS
    "HubPages," "HubScore," and "Hub" are HubPages service marks or trademarks and protected by applicable laws. Other product and company names mentioned on the Service may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

3. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

So, does that mean that if I had a blog account I can't post on HubPages? Sorry Linda this is all new to me, I found HubPages three years ago and am still learning! I love to write on HubPages as I know my way around now, however, I feel as if I am missing something, not sure what that is,

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

You can do both.  You can't name your blog or website Hub Pages!

1. tlcs profile image62

I do understand that. Thanks

5. Craan profile image77
    Craanposted 9 years ago

I am not sure what you mean by running a blog alongside HubPages. I write for different sites and link from one site to another at times, however not too much. I only link from one story to the next if it is relevant. Does this answer your question?

1. tlcs profile image62

What do you mean by link? Should I be putting a code in somewhere, I have my Google Plus, LinkedIn, Twitter accounts, oh dear I am definitely missing something where and what to do!!!

1. Craan profile image77
        Craanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You may post the URL of your story on other blogs with a little description. This is not making a duplicate story on another blog. It's simply getting the word out about your story.  You can post on Google+, Linkedin and Twitter and this is good because you'll be link building. This is what every SEO does to build up traffic to their blog or story they recently wrote.

1. tlcs profile image62

where do i find the url?

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

tlcs, you can have a blog and post links in it to your hubs. You can also start a page on facebook (ie: tlcs on HubPages) and post links to your hubs. Plus, posting links on Google Plus, LinkedIn, Twitter, will help send traffic to your hubs. I do all those.

1. tlcs profile image62

I have my own facebook page, oh i'm getting in a tizzy, I need a coffee! Sweating because I haven't done something and for the past three years I have lost out I'm sure!

1. Craan profile image77
        Craanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's never too late to start again. All is not lost. You still have your stories and you can market them fresh. Polish them up a little and post links everywhere you can without spamming your audience.

7. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

Yes you can have a separate blog and link to Hubpages the information should be of a similar niche (related) but original not duplicate. If that is the case then the more you have the better. Just never duplicate the same information in two locations on the web and you will be fine.

8. Craftypicks profile image76
    Craftypicksposted 9 years ago

Yes and I get better traffic than on Hubs too.

9. Craftypicks profile image76
    Craftypicksposted 9 years ago

Oh, you can't double post things. I will feature a hub on my blog, but write a little snipplet about it with a see more link.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)