Wasted Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (57 posts)
  1. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

With the new Google Analytics I have been doing a study on whether it is actually worthwhile doing more hubs. Is Quantity better than Quality. I have written 43 Hubs and out of those 43 Hubs only 8 have made over a Dollar.

The thing that surprised me is that 4 of the hubs were in my first ones and were both short and crap. Some of my more recent ones that I have researched and targeted for keywords have made nothing, not a cent.

One thing I did notice though was one or two topics although not getting many clicks did get a high payout for that click. So basically it's not the keyword, it's finding out how much that keyword pays and also if it's going to be a well read topic.

So in 4 months I have wasted my time writing 35 Hubs, so the moral of the story is 30 Hubs well researched and with high paying keywords on a popular topic will get you a good monthly earner on Hubs. My theory anyway, anyone want to buy 35 Hubs ? smile

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's gotta suck. I'm sure mine will probably be less.

2. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So you have a 20% success rate - that's a damme site better than i had at the start!

You hit some lucky ones and the older ones are older which is usually better. Have you built any backlinks to any of them?

You got it in one = I dominate "vacation packing tips" - it gets thousands of clicks this time of year - each are worth 5c LMAO! Its finding a good value keyword, its finding a topic which has demand - and its finding a keyword that people want an answer for NOW, and either procastinating about (vacation packing) or are embarassed about ...

35 is a start - I reckon by the time you get to 100 you should have it sorted. BTW if you want to keep on developing a readership, thats nice and that's a different way to make money here - by becoming a freelance writer - but the passive income thing is more sustainable long term i.e. you don't have to keep on working LOL

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fair point Lissie and understood all of that except the backlinks, I can never really follow the backlinks and how to create them even though I read a Hub on it. I think it's because June was such a good month and July has been just dead !

2. LondonGirl profile image81
        LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Surely it's worth it, then, even if each click is tiny, providing you get lots and lots of them?

3. getpaidtopost profile image40
      getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Make sure you dont spam a keyword, keyword spamming is noticed and dealt with by search engines. read my hub on keywords here.

Keywords for best return

hope this helps.

1. profile image49

I deff know I have been guilty of using a keyword too much in a Hub, cheers for that. I never realised they dealt with that, but I do now !

4. chicago girl profile image60
      chicago girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!

5. curiozities profile image60
      curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't think of them as wasted hubs, think of them as a learning experience, or as an example of what NOT to do in the future. 

Remember this story:

A young man asks an old man how to avoid making mistakes.  The old man replies, "With experience."

After thinking about the old man's answer for a few minutes, the young man turns to the old man and asks him, "Well, how do I get experience?"

Without skipping a beat, the old man says, "By making mistakes."

big_smile

6. Janet21 profile image80
      Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Silly question, how do you know which hubs earned money?  Do you set up separate channels on adsense or is this info available through the new google analytics?  I don't have the new GA, atleast I don't think I do.  Maybe I should get it.

7. profiler profile image65
      profilerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are correct. All is explained tidely in this hub!

8. reagu profile image64
      reaguposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can always link out from the underperforming hubs to your website or your other hub articles.  The link juice won't make them a waste.

9. anjalichugh profile image69
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're absolutely right BC. I discovered this a few months ago. Its all about 'high paying keywords' and 'high paying ads' which are displayed on your hub. One of my hubs, despite getting thousands of page views in a week, did not generate $$ that another hub with few hundred page views and even lesser clicks generated in  a couple days only. One who's here for adsense, should not worry about page views and focus on click thru rate and $$$ earned. smile

10. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi BC - I'm no expert, but some of my hubs which are earning quite nicely (£5 or more a month($7.50)) didn't earn anything for the first month or two. So I think with your newer, more recent hubs, you might need to wait a bit?

1. profile image49

Thanks LG I deff think I have keyword spammed and sent my click values down. I am going to go over my paying hubs and take out a load of keywords. Someone earlier said do a website on the based on the best niche but I have done that and it was no good. I at least see some progress and clicks on here plus the help you get. One thing I have learnt on here is how damn helpful people on here are. A lot complain but I have been on a few other websites and I have learnt more on here in 4 months than I have over the last 7 years.

I know I haven't replied to all your comments of advice but I appreciate everyone of them. Thank you !

2. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Look at it this way, you are making a little money but all of us get to read your hubs and enjoy every moment of pleasure you provided us through 43 hubs.  More importantly, your writing....

1. profile image49

Oh you smooth talker, damn you smile

1. Ladybird33 profile image65
        Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have many talents

2. profile image0
      iamqweenbeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good point

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Read hubchallenge tips, and redo your hubs and build backlinks. You can't sell them anyway, but you can convert them into something that makes money for you smile

1. carpesomediem profile image60
      carpesomediemposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm constantly going back through my hubs thanks to Google Analytics, changing links out, adding tags and tweaking things to make them more viable.  I've written a lot not because I want to make money but because I like being able to share what I know and that's my payoff.  It's a constant work in progress.

4. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

STOP IT!!!!!!!! You may not be making money, but surely you get some slight joy out of writing and hanging out with us!! Its not a COMPLETE waste. I read somewher, proll on one of your hubs, that holidays and events are a godo thing to write about. I forget all the correct terminology, but ...some days clicks are wotrth more then others...when I wrote that fathers day thingy....every click was woth 10 dollars!! well, nto reall, its a percetnag...I got cents on the dolalr, but its better then when the click was worth .01...you know what I mean.
    when Im not here, due to illness or other obligations...my clicks are worthless. I took a few days off awhile ago...I had plenty of views, even from search engines, but I had not been active here, and my score was like, 89...and it didnt matter if I got 1 million clicks...nothing...that has to mean something. I havent figured it out yet.

1. Ladybird33 profile image65
      Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got what you mean and I do agree

5. profile image49

Cheers Misha and Thanks Dennisematt and Ladybird that I know. I have tried all the keyword stuff and to be honest it's not me as I do write only humor. I intend to just go back to that because the effort with the keyword research isn't worth the payback.

Dennisematt you know I love writing, god more than anything I like making someone laugh. And you know I love the banter etc, I think what I meant was I just intend to be myself and just write for fun from now on. Yeah that's what I meant !

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

me too.  smile

6. profile image49

Sorry Fierycj, didnt see you hiding up there lol, it sucks only a bit smile

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

glad its just a bit. smile

7. profile image49

Jeeeez never heard of Keyword Spamming, off to have a look, cheers !

8. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 14 years ago

As has been stated before, humor and entertainment don't pay that well even though they do draw traffic.  That's something you have to accept.

Over time, nearly every single one of my Hubs has monetized, so part of what's playing against you is time, as you've only been here for 4 months.  You seriously have to have the patience of a rock, and give yourself another eight months...

1. profile image49

Thanks Relache and listen cheers guys, you have helped keep me enthused. Deff no matter what anyone says this place is deff a great and helpful community. I am off home, I thank you and have a damn good weekend one and all !!

9. Silver Rose profile image64
    Silver Roseposted 14 years ago

Badcompany - the best advice I can give you is to type in "makemoneyonlinewithseo.com" into the search engine and read that blog including all the archives - in fact start from the beginning and work forward to the latest posts. That guy struggled with his first 70 hubs before he cracked the problem but is now minting it.

Also relache is right - celeb stuff, humour, entertainment and politics get loads of hits, but make you no money. That's because people read them for fun or to pass the time at work. They don't click ads. The only people who click ads are those who have a need, and the ad looks like it will solve a problem for them eg they have bad breath, or ants in their house or something. The more desperate they are to solve a problem, the more likely they are to click an ad or buy a product that looks like helping them.

10. fortunerep profile image67
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

check yer mail bc
    dori

11. Cls1321 profile image60
    Cls1321posted 14 years ago

how much you make all depends on the "niche" some niches pay a lot more than others. If you are really looking to make decent money and can devote yourself to one single topic. Look back at which topic/niche paid you most in all of your previous hubs and then start a blog based on that topic alone.

just use blogger it is free and you could make some decent money + keep your hubs up and add a few when you feel like writing about a different subject.

I read some website last night about a guy who wrote 100 hubs as part of a challenge or whatever. week 1 he made $50, week two he made $100 week three I think around $88 and week 4 i believe he made $160 dollars. So lets not rule out hubs for money yet smile

12. Frieda Babbley profile image82
    Frieda Babbleyposted 14 years ago

I find that certain hubs make money certain times, so you really have to have patience with them before you decide to discard them.  A few I thought were flops (couldn't understand why because I did love them so) ended up being quite worth keeping them alive.

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My experience has been like Frieda's. I have written hubs that seemed like total dogs for a month or more then suddenly I notice they're in my top ten. Sometimes they have to build momentum I think, or hell, who knows? I mean, the internet is full of people who say they know the surefire way to attract traffic but as far as I can tell, while there are some things you can do to help (backlinks, quantity, quality, keywords, good titles) there is an element of crap shoot in all of it. You work your ass off on something and some idiot makes a killing on a video of a hamster playing a piano.

It's like the wild, wild west.

Anyway, don't give up badcompany! I made nadda for ten solid months here. Now it's way better. smile

13. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

By now there should be a link in your adsense account to link to your google analytics account, it usually is right next to your drop down box for your time period report summaries....

1. Janet21 profile image80
      Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I went in to do it and got this message. 

No accounts could be found to link.

In order to link an account to AdSense, you must have administrative privileges on that account, and that account cannot have already been linked to AdSense.

You can still go back and create a new account to link to AdSense.

I am not sure why it says that.  I haven't linked my GA to adsense yet...

14. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I remember having the same problem, so I had to create another GA account to track my hubpages separately from everything else...unless anyone else has a solution to this, I do not know!

15. lrohner profile image66
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

You needed the "new" Google Analytics to see that kind of info about your hubs? Sheesh. Young'uns!

In your latest hubs you talk about gambling and losing weight. I haven't researched, but I've gotta figure that the competition for those keywords is pretty high.

You also did a hub on separation anxiety. You misspelled 'separation'. No wonder folks aren't finding you. In any case, that keyword has an okay number of searches and extremely high competition. You'd be lucky to be getting any results even if you spelled it correctly.

16. Dame Scribe profile image55
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Spelling errors are actually recommended to be part of keyword placements tongue I have found in my GA that people found my hubs with misspelled words smile strange, maybe but it works. Also, the thing with so-called *wasted* hubs is you can work a keyword into the writing or around a amazon item to sell wink no such thing as wasted.

1. lrohner profile image66
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Dame. But I think that would only hold true here if he was actually getting traffic from it! smile

17. Dame Scribe profile image55
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

That can easily be remedied with updates wink

18. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

pgrundy, I think you've got it right. It is a crap shoot, as to what succeeds and what doesn't. The internet is way too complex to game consistently. Even if the "gurus" tell you it's possible.

When I look at my top 10 hubs I just shake my head and laugh.

19. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Most of my hubs have earned something at least one day out of their existence.  However, I see a rotation of hubs with a couple being at the top.  Honestly I do not do much key word research and just write like a human being thinks.  Once and awhile I will go back and optimize a hub with key word research, but never did this with some of my better performing hubs.

20. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

SweetiePie I did that today. I wrote 3 hubs off the top of my head without doing any keyword research at all. And I'm going to do more that way. I just wrote 400 words as though I was talking to someone in a store.

21. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Despite all the analytics I use, I agree there is a large element of luck or chance as to which hubs make money. Some of my lousy hubs do better than the good ones. I try to improve some hubs.
    If they are related to a past news event I guess they are not evergreen and do have a shelf life. I am about to delete a couple I don't like. I have only deleted 2 hubs so far.

22. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

what is a crap shoot?

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shoot craps is when you gamble with dice. So shooting craps is like rolling the dice. It means you can't tell what will happen.

23. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 14 years ago

I agree with what others have said. 

But just as a point of interest, there's something else going on here, too.  Based on general Internet trends, each person's personal library of hubs will show a long tail distribution--a much-ballyhoo'd statistical phenomenon that applies well to the Web, since the Web is a "land of probability". 

It basically means that for large groups of data, you'll have a small number of "hits," a few "lesser" hits, and an infinite number of "tiny" hits.  The larger your collection of articles is, the more evident the long tail distribution will be. 

You can't really do anything to change it, any more than a group of people can change the normal curve.  Even those who earn, and earn well, on every article, generally have their earnings following the long tail distribution. 

And--this is really cool--each spot on the long tail has its own separate long tail.

big_smile

24. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

I agree it is a crap shoot.  I like the patience of a rock comment.

25. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 14 years ago

In my opinion, quality is always better than quantity.  And, patience is required to achieve success. I agree about the rock comment, too.  For me, the more hubs I create, the more lenses I write, the more blog posts I publish, the more money I make.  Slow and steady wins the race. wink

26. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I think its luck & readership.  I'll be the first to say I'd be on cloud nine if I made any money writing.  I wouldn't consider it wasted, but a learning experience. smile

27. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Thanks Nelle.

28. profile image49

I must say I have learnt something from all of your comments and again thanks for taking time to share them. I guess its back to being patient and taking more time over each new hub. I usually check the spelling on most of my hubs but the Seperation one was a Poem so I didn't bother.

I am going to apply what you have all said and well thanks and enjoy the rest of your weekend !

29. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

I accidentally ran across Hubs in the classifieds, my intention was not really about making money, but it would help.  I enjoy all the articles and have learned a lot, but in reading through some of the money Hubs, it seems like making money writing is kind of  hit or miss.

30. SamSurvivor profile image58
    SamSurvivorposted 14 years ago

Sign up for The Keyword Crash Course. It's a buck for the first month. Watch all the video's, take notes and do as Court does. You'll find yourself writing good Hubs on Keywords that pay. There are a lot of high payout keywords in the humor field, they're just not easily found.

Good Luck Mate!

31. GeneralHowitzer profile image66
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

I'm havent affiliated with adsense just yet, because i'm still learning the ropes of hubpages stuffs. But this topic is so informative and in many ways helps me to know how things works here in hubpages... Yeah someway somehow we need to get paid with the hardwork we've done, because we use time, effort and expertise in doing each hubs, but we need to learn some strategies too to make our hubs competitive. This forum topic really enlightened me with some of many question I have...

Thanks badcompany for the topic... if you've followed all the tips given to you and still you're not earning that much... Charge it to experience... for as long your friends loves your hubs that's priceless already...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)