The Christian murder of perhaps, the first great female thinker.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (55 posts)
  1. cjhunsinger profile image60
    cjhunsingerposted 9 years ago

The word hypocrisy comes to mind when I read so many of the posts by Christians here. Perhaps, it is a denial of their own history that drives them or, simply, a preferred ignorance of the roots and heritage of their chosen belief system, Christianity.
    The story of a woman name Hypatia of Alexandria was the daughter of the mathematician Theon Alexandricus, born some where around 360 CE. Hypatia  was 
    "--a Neoplatonist philosopher, she belonged to the mathematic tradition of the Academy of Athens, as represented by Eudoxus of Cnidus; she was of the intellectual school of the 3rd century thinker Plotinus, which encouraged logic and mathematical study in place of empirical enquiry and strongly encouraged law in place of nature."
    For a woman to achieve such stature at this juncture in history is more than an achievement, as she was not only a standout among women, she was a standout among men and she was rightfully recognized by all. For some however, she would be viewed as a threat and those that viewed her as such would kill her in 415 CE.
    "The 7th-century Egyptian Coptic (Christian) bishop John of NikiĆ» identified her as a Hellenistic pagan and that "she was devoted at all times to magic, astrolabes and instruments of music, and she beguiled many people through her Satanic wiles."
    As the story goes Hypatia was viewed as an opponent of Christian  teachings and one day during a heated exchange a christian mob formed and killed her. Her death would herald the end of the  period known as Classical antiquity,
    "Neither did she feel abashed in going to an assembly of men. For all men on account of her extraordinary dignity and virtue admired her the more."
    It is also said of Hypatia that she had an ease of speaking that spoke of the minds of Socrates, Aristole and Plato in a manner that all could understand and admire. Surely, if simplicity is genius Hypatia was a genius, a genius murdered by ignorance and hatred, by Christianity.
    Perhaps, it is fitting that Hypatia was murdered in Alexandria, as it was Alexandria that housed one of the greatest, if not the greatest libraries on earth, where as many as 400,000 manuscripts were housed.
    The knowledge of the great philosophers, the histories of so many cultures and people, inventions, ideas were massed and stored here. There were three attempts to destroy this bastion of knowledge, but it was the third attempt that succeeded. In the year 391 CE the library dedicated to the Muses, the nine goddesses of the arts was finally destroyed by fire. The decree of Coptic Pope Theophilus in AD 391 gave the order and once again ignorance would reign  in all it's glory and dignified splendor.

1. mishpat profile image61
      mishpatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"As the story goes...." Myth or not, it is quite conceivable that a lynch mob in did murder her.  But we have two things, or maybe three, in play here.  Though the outward reasons appear to be religious in scope, the actual reasons were political, the orestes-cyril rivalry.  Then we have Cyril the head of the burgeoning sect which became the Catholic Church, mistakenly considered the principle authority of the Christianity.  So we can say that, based on today's viewing pont a "Christian mob" did murder her but looking back in time, we see the cause was political.

Alexandrian teaching has always been the bane of Christianity.  For the most part, it is liberal, worldly and philosophical in its direction.  Little, if any, of Alexandrian Christianity would meet the measure of scriptural propriety.

2. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You believe mankind has been around how long?  Tens of thousands of years?  Hundreds of thousands of years?  Even from the Christian perspective your statement would mean it took thousands of years before there was a "great female thinker".  Any thoughts for CJ on that, ladies?

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps he got the notion by reading the bible, which never did mention any woman as a thinker, prophet or otherwise of much importance.

But in reality it was probably true that it took thousands of years.  It took thousands of years to produce male philosophers, and women were still delegated to cooking, raising kids and making more kids.  While some men were supported by society, freeing them to spend more time thinking, women were not much more than drudgery slaves for a long, long time.

1. bBerean profile image60

Actually your reply is just as telling.  Thank you.

Welcome.  Changing history to match current mores and morals, to make our ancestors seem more ethical or reasonable to us, isn't generally a good thing to do.  They were what they were, and pretending differently simply means we'll likely repeat their errors.

2. Sed-me profile image80
          Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's not even remotely true. I would be happy to quote scripture if you're interested.

Sure!  Which woman, according to scripture, was recognized as a "great thinker"?

1. Sed-me profile image80

Well what you actually said was "great thinker and prophet". To be clear, "great thinker" isn't really a common description for a whole lot of ppl, Biblical or otherwise. Kind of a broad stroke there.

This is the story of Pricilla a teacher and writer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priscilla_and_Aquila
              You can read about her in Acts.

Deborah was a prophet, the 4th judge of Israel and a warrior. "Deborah led a successful counterattack against the forces of Jabin king of Canaan and his military commander Sisera; the narrative is recounted in chapter 4." Wiki

Jael's quick thinking delivered Israel from Jabin by driving a tent peg so deeply thru Sisera's head that it entered the ground. Wiki

Esther saved the ppl of Israel by cleverly hiding her identity and revealing her roots to the King in time to have their antagonist hung on the gallows he'd built for them.

Miriam, Joseph's sister saved her brother, then became the leader of the Hebrew women. 

Rahab assisted the Israelites in capturing the city of Jericho.

Here is a site that lists 7 female prophets in the Bible: http://stronginfaith.org/article.php?page=90

I concede.  Although I had in mind another Moses, if the Israelites considered them as a prophetess who am I to argue?

I do stand behind the statement of female philosophers, though.  It took a long time for such as Plato or Socrates to come on the scene and many more years would pass before any woman would be considered as even having a mind.  A sign of the times that (for the most part) we have thankfully left behind us.  A few scattered women (Joan of Arc among others) entered the male world of violence successfully, but I can't think of a single female philosopher prior to, say, the 1600's.

Leontion - a prostitute...that you think was a philosopher?

Melissa - known by only one letter where she lists the wifely duties of a woman.  No indication she was a philosopher.
                    Mary - possibly the first alchemist, but no indication of philosophy.
                    Moderata - a political writer and religious poet.  No indication of philosophy.

So, no philosophers.  Or is the point that women were in general well respected as valuable members of the community in the first few centuries?  That it is only the last few (since 1600) that women are treated differently?

3. mishpat profile image61

It seems you have forgotten several woman in the Bible who were that which you deny.  But more importantly, since the Bible is mentioned, God left the entire works of His creation in the hands of a man and a woman.  The man only had to sweat and toil.  The woman bares the pain humanity gone wrong.

At least according to "theological fact" smile.  According to reality facts no such thing ever happened.

1. mishpat profile image61

Short and to the point.  I like that.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image85
        oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, thanks a lot Cj!  Lol Berean

3. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 9 years agoin reply to this

the Jews of Alexandria grew even more furious, eventually resorting to violence against the Christians. They plotted to flush the Christians out at night by running through the streets claiming that the Church of Alexander was on fire. When Christians responded to what they were led to believe was the burning down of their church, "the Jews immediately fell upon and slew them" by using rings to recognize one another in the dark and killing everyone else in sight.

the Jews felt confident in defying Cyril's authority, and so one night ran through the streets proclaiming: "The church of the apostolic Athanasius (Alexander) is on fire: come to its succour, all ye Christians." The Christians responded to the alarms only to be slaughtered by the Jews in a coordinated ambush.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia

Ancient and modern sources identify four possible occasions for the partial or complete destruction of the Library of Alexandria: Julius Caesar's fire during his civil war in 48 BC; the attack of Aurelian in AD 270 ā€“ 275; the decree of Coptic Pope Theophilus in 391 AD; and the Muslim conquest of Egypt .

1 Julius Caesar (Roman paganism)
      2 Aurelian ( He was recorded by Christian historians as having organized persecutions)
      3 Theophilus
      4 Muslim conquest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destructio … Alexandria

1. oceansnsunsets profile image85

So there is much more to the story?

4. Sed-me profile image80

This is the story of Jill Ambramson, fired from the New Yorker by a bunch of Christians... or just a group of men. I can't remember.
      http://www.newyorker.com/business/curre … -was-fired

Here's another study that shows how Christians... I mean secular businesses treat women CEO's.
      http://www.strategyand.pwc.com/global/h … tive-study

Another story of inequality by Christian... I mean secular business.
      http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/1 … nequality/

It's as though women have been treated terribly throughout time, by groups who claim religious affiliation and by groups who do not... by men, though it would seem, more than any other group. I wonder if we should start bashing all men b/c a lot of men rape, beat and abuse women. I mean if we're going to start lumping bad guys together, why stop at a religious group from 360 BC? Why not just include all men for the poor treatment of women throughout time? I bet I can site a lot more cases than you can. I'll just start with the NFL and work my way backwards.

cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My focus was to highlight a woman of singular intellect and achievement in a world and culture dominated by the male. A woman that had risen above that cultural bias to be heralded and respected by male peers, only to be murdered by an enraged mob, not because she was a women, but that she took a position against their beliefs.
        You seem to project or suffer from some form of misandry, very sad.

That is very much a coincidence as I was thinking you suffered from a hatred of Christians.
          A female philosopher was killed when? Was it 400 BC, did you say? FOUR HUNDRED BC, and you are still holding it against present day Christians?! lol

My point was to show you that brilliant, capable women were discriminated against today... do I hold it against their main group of adversaries (men)? Or do I say, 'She worked for some crappy ppl, but there are better employers out there.

When a group of ppl murder another human, it's fair to say, they weren't anything like Jesus.

New day, same game. Now tell one about the crusades. Oy.

415 CE. Try to focus.

AD, so sorry.

oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years ago

Cjhunsinger, I appreciate you bringing this story to our attention.  If you think it was a bad thing for a Christian or Christians to kill someone like Hypatia, then you wouldn't be the first.  Jesus had a lot to say about hypocrites, or sheep in wolves clothing, tares among the wheat, etc. He had harshest of words for people that claimed one thing, and acted another way.

In a strange way, Christianity, Christ, and the gospel, is proclaimed all over again, when we are asked to consider a scenario, such as you present here.  In an attempt to discredit it, you are actually reinforcing its real tenets which encourage the opposite of some people's actions. 

If God is real, and Jesus' teachings are true, it makes sense to me that God would use the most ironic of attempts to discredit what some want to, and turn it around to point to the truth of matters to those that might ever care about such things.  I will have to catch up on the details, but in a quick read, I get the gist of what you were attempting to do here.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. bBerean profile image60

+2.  Well said, Oceans.

3. cjhunsinger profile image60

Oceans
      Thank you. Hypatia of was of a singular and unique intellect, superior to most of her peers, probably male and most assuredly vastly superior to the Christian mob that killed her. She was not killed because she was a women as some here think. She was killed because she took a stand against an enraged mob. It would not have matter had she been a male.
      I would encourage more in depth research here, although due to the antiquity of the event truth is a difficulty.

Some do call me "some" though most just call me "Beth."

So, in the title when you singled her out as being female, that was not actually a part of your focus? This is still your quote, right? "For a woman to achieve such stature at this juncture in history is more than an achievement, as she was not only a standout among women, she was a standout among men and she was rightfully recognized by all. For some however, she would be viewed as a threat and those that viewed her as such would kill her in 415 CE." Wilderness picked up the ball where you left it and continued on with the female theme. Course Im just a dumb girl. I miss a lot of stuff.

If you are dumb, as you say, I do have some sympathy with that. As far as missing a lot of stuff, perhaps if you were not so biased and closed minded. I think that has to do more with the bias then being female.I know to many intelligent women for that malady to be gender based. You seem to have a problem with your gender. You do seem to be a little uncomfortable and insecure, thus the apologies for being female..

So you skipped over every single point I made and went straight to childish insults?
            If you are not able to understand and respond accordingly, then there is no point to this for me.
            Im sure you can find a few here who will validate you, whether actual hubbers or sock puppets. If that is what you need, then my presence will only serve to irritate you. I will leave you to bask in the glow of your own self approval.

Thank you

Cjhunsinger, it seems you maybe did not read the post you are responding to there.  I don't key in on her femaleness at all, and was taking you at your word when you said she was in your OP. 

As for more in depth study, that is what Phoenixv and myself were touching on.  If anyone is missing more to the story, it may be you.  So I agree with you we need to look deeper. 

I usually am more interested in the full details of a story, not just part, or some narrative that isn't sharing the context, which as we so often see, changes everything.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Right.  The fact that she was a woman is incidental.  She was viewed as a threat because she dared to speak against the false doctrines accepted by the particular group of Christians she was dealing with.

4. Cgenaea profile image60
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

At the risk of sounding like there is no true Scotsman; I'd like to point out the fact that Jesus (Christ) killed no one... in light of that, they who follow him (Christians), kill no one. So... oceans, you've done it again... wink

Not quite.  You cannot know if Christ killed anyone; all you can say is that the writers of the time did not report any such killing.  They also didn't report what he had for breakfast on his 28'th birthday but that doesn't mean he didn't eat.

Without knowing, then, it would seem that Christians are free to kill as they wish?  (Certainly hope not! big_smile )

So then you are accepting the Bible as a recorded account of Jesus' life? If so, this answers your question.

Isaiah 53:9
        His grave was assigned with wicked men, Yet He was with a rich man in His death, Because He had done no violence, Nor was there any deceit in His mouth.

2 Corinthians 5:21
        He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Hebrews 4:15
        For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

1 John 3:5
        You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin.

John 19:4
        Pilate came out again and said to them, "Behold, I am bringing Him out to you so that you may know that I find no guilt in Him."

John 8:29
        "And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him."

1 Peter 1:18-19
        knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

2. Cgenaea profile image60
        Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh stop! wink the Christ of the bible was not a man who killed. We know this by the reaction to the sinful woman, about to be stoned.
        We know by the reaction he had to Peter's cutting off the ear of the guard.
        We know by his prayer for the people who were about to kill him.
        He was nonviolent. He was no killer.
        Killing was not in his character.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/127081

Is this, then, one of the "theological facts" that are made up out of torn cloth just because it fits a pre-made conclusion?  You have exactly zero idea if Christ killed; the only records of His life are a half dozen reports of just a few years length...reports that can't even agree with each other.  Who Christ was, what He did between birth and preaching we have no clue except that construction workers today are generally looked down on as rather undesirable.

5. oceansnsunsets profile image85
    oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years ago

Cjhunsinger, who is denying history?  Do you have actual examples of this?  Do you know of anyone that actually is ignoring the roots and heritage of Christianity, besides these examples (assuming they are as you present them) that you give us of Christians?  Very clearly, the very examples you give would be fine examples of Christians ignoring the roots and heritage of Christianity.  Do you see the irony of the problem you presented here in your OP?

1. oceansnsunsets profile image85

Just as I thought.  Only hearing crickets from CJ, when such things are brought up.  Might disarm the held beliefs, despite the facts, that we see.  Beliefs about all Christians and Christianity in particular here.

6. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 9 years ago

And gone with the fire... Nothing surprising from Christianity... Copernicus, Galileo... many that experienced the ire of church. Christianity has never been an epitome of tolerance. Science and its derived truth scared Christianity and its dogmas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)