New Hub Design Coming Soon! (Update: Week of 12/8)

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (73 posts)
  1. Marina Lazarevic profile image75
    Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years ago

Be sure to read about it in today's blog post! smile

Update: The launch has been pushed back to after Thanksgiving weekend.

Update (12/4/14): The latest update can be found here.

1. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like the looks of this new design. This looks promising. I won't be sorry to see related searches go away. Bravo!

2. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

cool. I like what I've learned so far. Can't wait to see it live.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The full-width title looks much better to me and the greater emphasis on the author info is good as well. Looking forward to that new widget!

4. Valerie P Davis profile image74
      Valerie P Davisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It sounds very good--I'll be glad to have the breadcrumbs going to main categories, and the content flowing better. Thanks, staff folks!

5. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ooh! Looking forward to these changes!

6. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

What determines which Hub is placed in the "More By [Author]" section?

7. Sulabha profile image75
      Sulabhaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good. Anything new is interesting.
      I sincerely hope it will help me.

8. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Can't wait to see what this looks like - especially on my felting pages.

9. ijdmtoy profile image41
      ijdmtoyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The new design is more mobile friendly which is very nice!

10. Jackie Paulson profile image59
      Jackie Paulsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

good to know looking forward to it. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I'm happy to read that the hubs are being widened!  The changes sound good and I'm anxious to see the complete new look.  What will the Recommended Content module contain?  Is it an actual part of the hub content or a link to the content?

Is there any way to see a more complete preview of what it will look like?  smile

Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The Recommended Content widget is a new Google service we're going to test. Currently, the widget is available to a limited number of publishers and will (for now) recommend content only on HubPages. We'll see how it goes and whether it's successful at driving traffic to Hubs!

The redesign (mainly the content modules) is still in the works, but I may be able to post some more screenshots later this week. smile

I'm so glad you like it so far, rebekahELLE!

3. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 9 years ago

Three Cheers for this one!
    "Related Searches unit in the sidebar will be removed"
    At Last!
    Other changes also sound fabulous and more graphic! 
    Good to see the greater prominence given to authors (once again a long time coming).
    Can't wait to see the full layout! Good move HP.

Thanks for the feedback, janderson99! I'm happy to see Related Searches go too. smile

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Not quite sure as to what the new look is going to be.  Happy to see related searches go bye bye. If they are going to make the text area bigger, I  assume that full width photos are going to be even bigger than they are. I hope not!

5. rebekahELLE profile image85

Another question... with the addition of the More by the Author module, will the group navigational links still work below our hub content?

Do you mean previous/next? We don't have plans to remove that right now. Let me know if that isn't what you were referring to.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great, thanks.  That is what I was referring to.

2. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Looks like there are changes proposed to the Related Hubs listing. Unsure what the text below means - but this will be clearer, I guess, when the final layout is announced. I would be sad to see Related Hubs revert to topic pages, but there has always been an issue with relevance.
        "The Breadcrumb structure on subdomain Hubs will be reverted back to how it was before September 2013 —  it will direct readers to HubPages Topic Pages rather than a filtered view of your Profile"

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Yes, janderson!  Seeing a list of the hubbers other hubs would be better. But using the search bar for searching topics is almost useless since most of it is forum posts, if it works at all.

7. clivewilliams profile image73
    clivewilliamsposted 9 years ago

Will see how this one goes

8. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I like what I see so far.  Will we need to make any changes for the new layout (making sure our photos aren't pixelated, watching the size of our Amazon ads, looking for white space that doesn't belong, etc.) or will they all happen seamlessly for us?

9. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

I love the new design and can't wait to see it on the site. Thank you so much for the nice Thanksgiving surprise.  I like the avatar already.

10. Lionrhod profile image77
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

"If you provided it, your real name will be displayed beside your username (like on mobile). Your avatar will also be much larger."

This does NOT make me happy. Where do I edit that out? Is it already showing on mobile???

Otherwise sounds like great changes!

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just glancing at your profile page you haven't provided a real name, so you are fine, if privacy is what you are concerned about.  The name you put for "real name" can even be a pen name if you like.   To add/change/delete it you click "Edit" on your profile page.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11994273.png

11. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

Looking really good! smile I love the looks of the new design.

I'm glad the Breadcrumb Structure will be changed back as it was. I had posted about this in the forum a long time ago when I notice the filtered view didn't indicate the lowest level breadcrumb, leaving only the top level, which is very misleading to the reader. So this change is good too.

I knew about the larger AdSense ads, Google had informed me of them for my business site. I think that will be a good experiment to test that on our hubs.

The wider width for the title should make it stand out better, and that's the first thing people see. Good move.

I also like the idea of the author section on the hubs. I know there are many opinions about this, basically saying that readers never pay attention to who wrote the article anyway. But I beg to differ. I think it's useful to give the reader a little knowledge of the source of the information they are reading. The info on the author can lead to building a following of "organic readers." How's that for coining a new phrase?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm one of those who say that readers never pay attention to who wrote the article, but that's because the author info in the  current design is so tiny, the average person would barely notice it.  At one point it was planned to be even smaller, but was changed after Hubber outcry!   So I'm very pleased to see the more prominent author info is being reinstated.

12. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 9 years ago

Will the increased width affect the number of characters per line in text capsules?  If so it will totally destroy the appearance of nearly every hub I have.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The way I understand it from the blog, the text capsules will remain the same width. The right sidebar will be widened. The title will appear above both columns, hence widening the title.

Yep, this is correct!

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good news, then.  I didn't catch that, and didn't look forward to re-formatting all my hubs. 

Thanks for the reply.

13. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

The RS ads being removed just might make Google love us a little more...

14. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 9 years ago

Looking forward to these changes smile I can bet they perform better (fingers crossed nonetheless)

15. Hendrika profile image69
    Hendrikaposted 9 years ago

It looks great, I hope it will draw more readers and thus more income

16. Marina Lazarevic profile image75

Hey all! The new Hub design is coming along well, but we pushed back launch to next week. For now, I want to share another screenshot. Below you can see the new More by Author section. I hope you like it!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11999887.png

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very pretty!  How will the hub that is featured out to the side be selected?

Will the bottom of the hub look the same with the buttons, the related hubs, etc.

The selection criteria for that Hub is a combination of category relevance and quality. Sometimes, a Hubber may not have a Hub that meets the criteria. If that happens we won't show any content in that space, and the second 300x250 ad in the sidebar will also be dropped.

The bottom of the main Hub body will look the same for now, yes. For this iteration, we focused our efforts on the general ad layout, title area (including the author byline), and the widened sidebar. smile

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

I can't wait. Really looking forward to it.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+  Looks great so far!

3. Valerie P Davis profile image74
      Valerie P Davisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That looks smoother and more professional. I like it a lot!

4. joween18 profile image81
      joween18posted 9 years agoin reply to this

SPLENDID!!!
      I really liked it..
      I can't wait! smile

17. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

It is looking good, Marina. So happy the "related search" will be removed!

18. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 9 years ago

So "later this week"?

It's getting pretty late in the week, isn't it?

Well. no matter, though I suppose when it hits we'll want to look over our hubs to see if anything needs adjustment due to the stretching.

Marina says the launch has been pushed back to next week.

The text capsules will NOT be stretched.

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I see that now.  I still think I'll want to eyeball things.  I don't have all that many hubs here, so it won't take me long.

19. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image62
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

It is a welcome step. Let's congrats the brains behind it.

20. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 9 years ago

I am usually against everything and am not a fan of new for the sake of being new. But I feel like I am going to be happy with this change. I hope Google likes it too! Looking forward to seeing the new layout!

21. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image62
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

I am happy on this positive change.  It is a wonderful idea and I hope all hubbers will welcome this change.

22. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 9 years ago

Really nice! Can't wait for it to roll out.
    Good job HP

23. paradigmsearch profile image61

I noticed the site was already down once. Maybe save this adventure for your lowest traffic period. smile

24. paradigmsearch profile image61

Come to think of it, Friday-Saturday is the lowest for me. So go for it. big_smile

25. paradigmsearch profile image61

Hark! It is 12/1. Our adventure begins big_smile

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yawn.

I'm sorry, I was napping.  Did some promised thing actually happen or can I go back to my dreams?

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of servers suddenly told to do things differently...

26. Jackie Paulson profile image59
    Jackie Paulsonposted 9 years ago

I am so excited, that I just joined on Nov 29 2014 and now it is Dec 1st 2014 and wait for the new design and start to write again.  I hope to meet new community of writers and book readers.  Blessings on the Launch.  I am loving it.  J Paulson © 2014

Welcome to HubPages Jackie. Yes, it is exciting! I can't wait to see the new format in action, and I'm curious to see how it effects our reader's experience.

27. WestelCS profile image60
    WestelCSposted 9 years ago

Love the new design! The best part of the ew look is it’s emphasising on the author info. My personal preference would be the new ‘widgets’. Looking forward to these changes!

28. paradigmsearch profile image61

I'm already making plans for some of my hub titles after the conversion takes place.

29. profile image0
    OrhanGokkayaTRposted 9 years ago

I can't wait for this design! smile

30. rebekahELLE profile image85

Waiting, waiting, looking forward to the unveiling!

31. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 9 years ago

Is there are update on when the new layout will be implemented?

32. Marina Lazarevic profile image75

I'm sorry about the delay with launching the new Hub design and want to provide a quick update since I know folks are anxious to see it live - we are too!

This is what's up. We are ready to go and could launch right now but are waiting on Google to give us the final approval on two things:
    1. The new ad layout. We're trying something new here and cannot move forward until we get the green light. We've gotten preliminary approval but are awaiting a confirmation to guarantee we are not in violation of any of Google's policies.

2. The design of the Matched Content widget. We know that the earliest we will get approval for this is next week but are prepared to launch the design without it and add it next week. We need #1 to launch though.

So, it has become a bit of a waiting game! We don't have an ETA from Google on #1 but were told that it will happen soon. We don't like to release big updates to the site right before the weekend or in the evenings. If we don't get approval by Friday at noon PDT, we will wait until next week to launch. We'll keep you posted.

EDIT: hyperlinked Matched Content

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marina Lazarevic
      Thank you, good to get an update, can't wait to see the new look.

2. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Okey Dokey

3. Shades-of-truth profile image81
      Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update, Marina. Lots of us are looking forward to it!

1. Lionrhod profile image77
        Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Can you explain what the matched content widget is? The link just took me back to this thread.

Can't wait to see the changes. The example looked great!

Sorry about that, Lionrhod! The link should take you to a specific post of mine where I briefly discuss the Matched Content widget. In short, we don't know a ton about it either. It is a new Google product we're testing that is available to a limited number of publishers. It is supposed to show a list of recommended content within HubPages. How it chooses that content is based on a number of things, from relevance, reader interest, clickthrough rates, etc. Visually, the module will look similar to the Related Hubs (thumbnail + Hub title) listing. We'll have to see how it plays out next week. smile

33. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

I like the new lay-out. Thank you all at HP headquarters.

Just one question:

Quote from the blog post:
    "The Related Searches unit in the sidebar will be removed."

Does that refer to "Sponsored Links" which used to be called "Related Searches"?  - The unit we fought so hard to get rid of, way back? That would be good news.

Or has the name of the unit just changed from "Related Searches"  to "Sponsored Links"?

Yes, the Related Searches unit was renamed to Sponsored Links.  And you are correct that one of them (the one that currently sticks in the sidebar) will be removed as part of this redesign. The other unit (below the Hub) will remain for now, but we would like to get rid of it as well. We need to see how the new ad layout performs overall and we'll go from there.

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, that IS good news. When that unit is gone I, and all those who fought against it 20 months ago will jump for joy!

2. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Please get rid of the other one as well. With all the emphasis on user satisfaction why not dump 'Related Search' entirely which is deceptive and misleading. It is also contrary to the latest Spam rules as the Ads are very unrelated to the topic of the hub. Given that the revenue from these deceptive ads is not shared, the decision would appear to rest on whether HP loses income overall. Those ads are spammy and detract from user experience. It may take months to restore HP reputation. Every reader tricked by the deception is unlikely to ever click on the SERP ever again.  So for Long-term benefits - Please dump 'em all now!. THANKS

34. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 9 years ago

Looking Good! Thanks for the update!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)