Dream to become a travel writer- new (support and critisism needed!)

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Taylor Qualman profile image59
    Taylor Qualmanposted 9 years ago

I plan to be leaving in april of next year to begin as a travel writer, and to experience the world. Im currently saving money, and selling my stuff. I just started building my grounds for writing, and I feel i am doing fairly well, but there will always be room for improvment. I am new to this site, and i would appreciate tips, or help with areas i can improve. I want to build support that i will have when i begin in april to prevent floundering with my work. There are two hubs on my profile so far, and you may find a bit more of my work here:  (not promotional)  Also i would appreciate feedback about my bio on here so i know if it is adequate enough. Thank you!

1. Maximum A profile image73
      Maximum Aposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All the best to you then. I'm also planning on traveling in a year of two, too. I guess my only feedback and/or advice is to pay close attention to/improve your writing (grammar, phrasing, etc.) and to read up on travel blogs and sites for travel writers to get you prepped up for your adventure, even though it'll still be a few months away. Good luck, Taylor!

Taylor Qualmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that my grammar, and such has fallen a bit. Thank you. Its gonna take a bit of work dusting off an old skill. Thank you, and good luck to you as well!

2. Maffew James profile image94
      Maffew Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's always good to have lofty aspirations.

Do you want to start your own website/blog where you can write about your travels, or are you planning on starting more of a freelancing career? The distinction is important because it defines how you go about preparing for this.

If you're planning to start your own travel site, I'd recommend beginning to build it up right now and start to gain loyal readers and consistent traffic before you even leave. An email list is really important here because it allows you to reach your readers and keeps them engaged with your site. You can also use it to market to them if you end up taking it to the next level with an ebook, online travel guide, or some other form of product to ramp up your income.

Freelancing is a whole different kettle of fish though. It'd be good to have some form of exposure to the industry prior to leaving. Articles published in magazines and popular travel websites are good for your resume, and it's good to have powerful contacts that like your work and can provide references or work as you travel. I'm sure there are many talented freelancers on Hubpages that could provide a lot more detailed help with such a career choice.

I never did understand the whole "email list thing" lol. But, i am building followers on one page on facebook so far. It will be apart of my travels. An attempt to show people that there is still good in this world. Right now im just throwing peacefull related writing on it, because i can't exactly prove much from home. I want to start my own travel blog, make that peace page grow, and possibly a website where people can share experience that trouble them. Like the experience project.. only taken more seriously. An maby photograph, and videos on the side since those would take less time, and effort. I did do a little bit of freelance writing a few years back. I hated writing how someone told me to. My writing is my personality, and i am happiest showing it my way. My main goals were simply to help people, show people that life does not need to be a daily rat race/grind fest, to show people the world still has hope, and to prove you don't have to be rich to see experience life.

1. Maffew James profile image94
          Maffew Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sounds great!

Well the benefit of an email list is that you're constantly in touch with your audience. Instead of someone visiting your blog once through a search engine or whatever channel and then leaving, they can be given updates every time you post and have more chance of returning. If you wrote a book about your travels, you could send emails about that to generate sales, and you can even send out a newsletter to keep them up to date with where you are in the world.

It's basically all about branding and building trust, as well as keeping in constant contact with an audience that keeps coming back. Having a Facebook page has similar benefits and can be used in much the same way. You'll probably find your Facebook page really useful as you gain more followers; it will drive a lot of traffic to your blog for new content.

I definitely see your point about freelance writing. It's never really appealed to me, but I know a few people who love it. The blog route is better because you can build a business out of it and run it however you like. In any case, good luck with your dream.

I'll certainly look into building an email list. Thank you very much for your insight, and good luck to you too!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)