Should people marry? It seems that God would forbid it.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Gnostic Bishop profile image57
    Gnostic Bishopposted 9 years ago

Should people marry? It seems that God would forbid it.

Christian scriptures say that in heaven, there is no marriage.

When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.
    http://biblehub.com/mark/12-25.htm

As above so below, on earth as it is in heaven, indicates that when God returns to reclaim dominion from Satan, marriage will be abolished.

Why then do most religion of the Abrahamic root advocate marriage at all. Especially the polygamy. God does not favor marriage. If no two souls are to marry in heaven, then the law on earth should be that no two people marry.

We should emulate Jesus in all things and remember that as a Jew, he was almost forced by tradition to marry yet never did even though Gnostic Christian scriptures show him as loving Mary Magdalen more than his male disciples. Even kissing her on the (unknown parts). That is why I suggest that Jesus married Mary. Marriage was expected of all Rabbis.

This modern Gnostic Christian thinks marriage is the way to go, with a single mate, be that a mate of the same gender or not. Love is what is important. Not gender. That aside, I think that frees choice should reign in this issue.

Do you think we should abolish marriage and move closer to God’s heavenly law?

Regards
    DL

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, random co-habitiation with random people is definitely what we should do here on earth as this is surely what is happening in heaven. Jesus did not marry because Jesus did not enjoy sex. He enjoyed constant communion with God more. Maybe Mary asked him if they could get married, but he said, "No, because you will just be bored with me."
      In heaven, if you are not communing with God all the time, you are asleep. There is no sex going on since there are no bodies being worn. No one wants to get married even if they were given the option… why would they?   

In heaven, souls wait around for their next physical body so they can go create havoc on earth…
      - and have sex creating children willy nilly outside of the stupid institution of marriage which indicates the impossible ideals of loyalty, devotion and love.

Its definitely time to ascend. roll

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is so because there is no division of male and female in heaven.
      There goes the idea of traditional marriage and including the abomination that is seen as homosexuality.

I think we maintain our sexual identities after we die. We carry with us blueprints made of light. This is the "ghost" which Jesus "gave up." I am not arguing with you, just suggesting another possibility. And if you think about it, when Jesus returned to earth, He was male… he did not come back… nor does he ever appear... as female.

As far as homosexuality, I think some just like the same sex. Its just a preference.

Everything beyond you is actually neutral to you... its how you respond and react to the outer manifestations of life that makes them acceptable to you or not.
        For instance, I used to love frogs.  But, now I think they are kind of creepy… Frogs are not creepy to each other… well, maybe they are… I don't know… I guess it would depend on the type of experiences they have had with their fellow frogs...

I'm sorry if all this is making your head hurt, FatFreddysCat. sad

1. kess profile image61

The only thought that can hurt the head are those that are wrong and these are quite fatal. From these homosexuality originates.

You obviously have no inkling about human sexuality and how it relates to spirituality. But since you do think you do, understand then providing an explanation is a very tedious task.

It is understandable and forgivable to dispute with me, because I am still flesh and blood, but to dispute Moses, should at least you should allow for a bit of circumspection. Even Jesus warn against such.

The simple rule about knowing anything,is to allow things to be exactly as they are so that when knowledge comes you may put it into proper perspective, which enables you to know the Truth.

If you do not accept the male as male and the female as female on earth, how then can you understand when and how the male become as the female and the female as the male?

Simplicity of thought is the foundation of all spirituality.

-yes well, I believe that in essence we become both male and female as we ascend into Spirit. God separated his energies into male and female at some point, but eventually all will go back to causal Spirit which must be neutral. Some people are literally in touch with both the male and female aspects of themselves. L. Da Vinci was one of these types.  Am I arguing?
            No, just discussing possibilities.
            Did Moses forbid homosexuality in the original commandments?
            I guess God considers it an abomination in the OT. But, God allowed other abominations, like slavery, and suppression of women. He could have said, slavery is an abomination and unequal rights for women is an abomination. He could have said drunkenness and prostitution is an abomination. 
            So much for the OT. sad

Abomination: a thing that causes disgust or hatred: D

Q. Why did you even mention homosexuality? What did you mean by this:
            < "There goes the idea of traditional marriage and including the abomination that is seen as homosexuality.">

1. kess profile image61

No you not arguing...

Neutrality did not exist as you suggest.

God is male and of such He is Father to all.
              In establishing himself as the Father, his
              femininity has been cleansed to the extent
              that it appears exactly as himself the masculine.
              At that stage his femininity does not appear as a
              separate nor distinct from or part of the God but all as one.
              God is singular.

His feminine nature becomes relevant only in things belongin
              to the earth where duality reigns. The feminine nature will give birth to and nurture the child until he becomes mature and known as son, who is exactly as the Father is.

This is why the son said my Father and I is one.

In the fullness of time the son will turn into himself seeking his wife, his feminine, which he would  commune and base more sons exactly as their father.

So then we see masculine cannot be complete without the feminine by yet the feminine cannot be dominant of the masculine except as in mother soon relationship, which is temporary.
              And if the feminine it's too be beneficial to herself and her husband she must maintain her position as the feminine and in doing so she achieve masculinity, exactly as he husband is and there is no difference between the two.

And variation from this would only result in giving rise to the way of the Satan which is temporary for it is doomed to death.

3. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God made marriage, and Jewish people believe differently about marriage than Christians.
      We remain married even after death

Oh Good Grief!  I would NEVER marry anyone EVER if that were the case!  Gross.
        Each to their own of course!
        yikes! eew.
        Now my brain is hurting too.

1. profile image0

All the other religions, that believe in the One True God, came from Hebrew, and The Hebrews
          know once we become one with someone, we always will be. Divorce goes against God, and is wrong

Who are you marrying that you feel that way about? Sad
          I want to be with my one and only husband, Joel, for a lifetime, and beyond

4. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

. . . really?  Just how much of the Bible did you 'skip' in putting this 'writing' together?

5. profile image0

I practice Jewish Mysticism, and hold a lot of mystical knowledge (what the Western world copied, thought they understood, and called) the "Kabbalah", And Gnostics say they practice Kabbalah, and call it Gnostic Kabbalah..but I am not of the Gnostic religions  Just Chasidic Judaism. Jewish Mysticism was first given to Avraham

I do, and I do not recommend Gnostism. I do because it holds many deep truths, reveals deep mysteries, and can teach a person a lot, IF they are really ready to learn it.
      I don't recommend it because to the unlearned or closed minded it can be nothing more than fantasy, or lies in their minds. If used incorrectly, it can cause more harm than good. A lot of stuff they teach I find to be untrue

Learn here (I am not affiliated in anyway, nor do I make any money from them
      http://    gnosticteachings dot org/
      http://gnosticteachings.org/

6. the essayist profile image61
      the essayistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God is for marriage.  Who are we to try to abolish what He has clearly established!??

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Wait, what?
    ...my brain hurts.

1. KFlippin profile image61

Mine too, how bazaar thus far.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Well, you both have very interesting viewpoints. Thanks for sharing.

God probably would have preferred if we did not marry. And never had sex.
    But we did and the rest is the gruesome history. Thanks for nothing, Eve.

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What's wrong with sex?

Hi Janesix.
        God said not to have sex. But the lower nature of mankind won out.

Under the influence of his higher nature, man uses his brain to a much greater extent.  Under the influence of the lower nature man uses his  … well, you know. If we had not fallen into love with each other… and stayed in touch with God only... then we wouldn't be suffering enmeshed in matter to the extent that are now. Human beings existed in a higher more spiritual state of existence before their fall and were more conscious of the spiritual aspects of life.  The forerunners of Adam and Eve had more awareness and enjoyed more creative abilities. That's why our brains seem to be more evolved than we are… I mean, how many of us realize the full capacity of our brains…?

The Way I See It
        Pardon My Craziness
        Take It Or Leave It

1. profile image0

Where did he say this? Scripture please

It is the proper explanation / interpretation of the story of Adam and Eve.

2. janesix profile image59
          janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't "be fruitful and multiply" kind of require sex?

They were so spiritual they could produce offspring the way God did, sans womb and birth canal.
              After Eve had sex, she lost her higher powers and now bore children as the animals did. Furthermore, she lost touch with God and now only loved her husband to the extent of becoming subordinate to him.

And Adam ended up "tilling the ground from whence he was taken:" Lost touch with his higher spiritual nature.

2. profile image0

If you truly understood, you would be able to weave scripture together, to show this, otherwise you believe it, only because you learned it from someone else

2. profile image0

Multiply probably did imply sex,  Sex was for Adam and Eve to express love, and enjoy pleasure, and childbirth probably didn't have any pain with it..I say this because of Eve's punishment
            Genesis 3
            16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

3. KFlippin profile image61

Really????  Footnote references to this Biblical research?

Its all in the first book of the Bible.

Repeating:
            <"But, the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said,
            YE SHALL NOT EAT OF IT, NEITHER SHALL YE TOUCH IT, LEST YE DIE."

Q.What do you think the fruit of the tree which is in the "midst" of the garden is?
            A. The sense of sex!

They did not care they were naked before they "ate the fruit."
            Afterwards, they did…>

1. profile image0

Not with Adam, they were already told to multiply, and replenish the Earth.
              The Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good and Evil, was the Serpent
              I've explained this in my hub about the Sons of God
              Actually, people should marry

So, you have two trees which are actually within the body: The tree of life refers to the six senses and the light of life. The other tree is the tree leading to darkness, rather than life/light… within us.

People should marry if they fall in love with someone because oopsy... they are going to get pregnant.
                If one does not want children and wants to instead devote ones life to finding, serving God without distraction, one does not have to marry.  Jesus himself explains this… but then you are Jewish and apparently disregard the words of this particular avatar.

2. profile image0

It depends on who is having sex with who..even in the garden

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

" But, the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said,
    YE SHALL NOT EAT OF IT, NEITHER SHALL YE TOUCH IT, LEST YE DIE."
    Q.What do you think the fruit of the tree which is in the "midst" of the garden is?
    A. The sense of sex!

They did not care they were naked before they "ate the fruit."
    Afterwards they did... and sewed fig leaves together to make themselves some little aprons…yikes !

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Apparently God made Adam and Eve their first actual outfits: Some "coats of skins."
    Does this mean that God actually went out and killed some animals? Maybe a mink coat for Eve and a nice black Jaguar fur skin for Adam.
    No wonder they couldn't keep their hands off of each other after that!  So then God said go and have as much sex as you like and because the deed is done, now. "Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden to till the ground…"

The only hint of hope mentioned was this:
    "So He drove out man; and He placed at the east of the garden of Eden
                                               Cherubims,
                                         and a flaming sword
                                      which turned every way
                                to keep the way of the tree of life."
                                                       big_smile

My interpretation: We can get beyond the consciousness of the material plane by returning to the consciousness of the source of life: God/Spirit.
    Jesus would agree
    and Christians
    and Buddhists
    and Hindus
    and Jews
    and Muslims…

Maybe the Jihadists wouldn't agree, though.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

What does the tree of good and evil actually imply?
    What does the tree of life imply?

1. profile image0

I thought you knew?
      It's the Tree of The Knowledge of Good, and Evil (Duality brought about by listening to the Serpent, and not obeying God)

What is so bad about duality as opposed to singularity?

BTW Serpents don't talk…

1. profile image0

Duality means opposites. Think about how your mind works, if you want to not do something, one side says don't, but the other side wants what it shouldn't have..this is duality..a conscious and subconscious thinking/reacting...Duality, or choice, brought confusion
          The Serpent is the Fallen angel Satan..who talks
          Genesis 3:1
          Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
          He intensionally  brought them knowledge that hurt them

And how does this relate to real life… as in, "For instance______ "?

1. profile image0

Please?

1. profile image0

I explained it all. People learned about duality which brought confusion..later people were mixed
                  human and fallen angels, beginning with Cain

- what is it about his innocence that was beneficial to his soul?
                    - what is eternal life?
                    - how did we become "mixed?"

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Here is my for instance.
    I see a donut shop. I smell the wondrous aromas emanating from it. I follow them as though hypnotized… I go into the forbidden donut store against my better judgement. I am confused… Oh, why did I come in here? I know I will not buy a donut. I came in just to look at them and imagine myself buying the most scrumptious creation here. I feel my hand reaching into my purse groping for my wallet… I am wondering if I have the change, cuz I'm sure not going to use my ATM card for this minor purchase… PURCHASE!?… did someone say purchase?
    - horrors!
    Oh the pain of this confusion! Come on! One measly sugar drenched apple fritter. What is the harm of its contents in your stomach?
    You will not die from eating just one, this once!

That agony is pretty painful.
    I see your point,

BUT, God said, "DO NOT... LEST YOU WILL DIE!"
    Was he lying?
    If I go ahead and eat the %$#$@ apple fritter, I am not going to die!  Did we die after we ate the forbidden fruit? (- whatever it was, as far as you believe.)

1. profile image0

The humans God created died out, only we who were brought about through reproduction are still alive
      Yes man died that day, he lost his innocence, and eternal life

8. Gnostic Bishop profile image57
    Gnostic Bishopposted 9 years ago

I need a drink.

Regards
    DL

1. profile image0

No drinking around me please, is that what you turn to?

We know-it-alls are driving him to drink… especially when we don't know a darn thing… well me any way.

1. profile image0

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

So, DL, the least you could have done was step foot in your own Forum thread.
      We're sort of floundering around here.
      Thanks for nothing smile

1. profile image0

Yes, well, I am… sorry about that. What you wrote is very interesting.
          How do you feel about the NT?

1. profile image0

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

While Constantine certainly had a hand in developing the Canons (and thus future scripture) do you really think he controlled that much of it?  I've always felt that most of the work, effort and agreements/conclusions came from the VIP Christians he assembled.  While Constantine had a vested interest in Christian strength, I never saw him as being that interested in the belief structure.  Mostly just in unifying all the sects under one "roof".

1. profile image0

2. Jerami profile image58
                Jeramiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The emperor was the Head to the church.  In the beginning of the church there were 10 popes/bishops.
                In 365 (?) the  Emperor had a disagreement concerning church policy/doctrine with Pope Liberious (sp), who was subsequently removed from his position and sent into exile.  So the emperor controlled the direction in which doctrine and the manner in which the church grew.

9. profile image0
    JoelMcLendonposted 9 years ago

God made marriage and sanctified it
    I love being married to my wife.  My family is very important to me and I couldn't imagine life without them so I don't even try
    Deborah and I have loved, supported, and helped each other worldly, and spiritually

1. profile image0

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)