Hubpages Ad Program terminated

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (59 posts)
  1. PNWtravels profile image74
    PNWtravelsposted 9 years ago

I am a transplanted Squidoo writer who is still learning the ropes on Hubpages and still in the process of getting all of my pages rewritten to meet Hubpages standards.  Today I received a message that said "We regret to inform you that due to irregularities in your account's traffic, we have decided to terminated your participation in the HubPages Ad Program".

Does anyone know what "irregularities" this would be referring to and what can I do to correct the problem to be eligible to participate in the ad program again?  (I don't use any traffic generation programs or anything like that - just an occasional link to my hubs on the usual social networking sites like facebook, pinterest or google+).

I'd appreciate any help understanding and correcting the problem.

Thank you
    Vicki Green

1. Elsie Hagley profile image70
      Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea what "irregularities" it refers to.
      I'm adding this reply as I'm a ex Squidoo transfer, and will be interested myself.
      Wishing you a Happy New Year.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

From the HubPages TOS,
      By electing to run the HubPages Earnings Program on Your Hubs, you acknowledge and agree to the following:

Your approval and acceptance into the HubPages Earnings Program is in HubPages’ sole discretion
      HubPages may suspend or remove the HubPages Earnings Program or any part thereof (including Your participation in it) at any time, in HubPages’ sole discretion

That is the part of the TOS that says you agreed that they can kick you out at any time without telling you why.  However, if you contact the admin team directly, maybe they will say something.

Please note, they will never discuss any individual account issues like this in the public forums (meaning here).

PNWtravelsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you - I was posting here wondering if this had ever happened to anyone else and for advice about what might have caused it to happen and if it happened to anyone else, what can be done to fix it.  Other than replying to the email, I didn't know where to go for answers or help besides here.

1. colorfulone profile image77
          colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This thread would have gotten proper attention by now if it was in Ad Problems on HubPages Discussions.
          Here http://hubpages.com/forum/category/2997

Thank you - I didn't see that - not that familiar with the forums here yet.

2. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

See the tiny link in the uppermost, right-hand corner of the page which reads "help?"

You go there for anything admin-related.

I tried that, but the tree just took me to applying for the HubPages Ad Program and when I tried to re-apply, I just got a message that I'd been terminated from the program.  A circle to nowhere!

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm so sorry to hear that has happened.   The good news is that unlike Adsense, HubPages will usually give you an explanation if you ask.   It's the holidays so they may be short-staffed by now but I'd be hopeful they will give you a reply.   

If you don't hear from them in a few days, send another email to team @ hubpages asking the question, as sometimes emails get lost in their system.   I do wish they'd set up a proper support ticket system!

Thanks!

4. Doodlehead profile image50
      Doodleheadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Be glad forum is not run by Google as you would have no chance of learning what caused the problem.   My guess is too many clicks happened and they are blaming you for this.

So true!  I have a heck of a time with anything Google - their instructions always confuse me.  I guess I'm not high-tech enough to understand their language!

5. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe your traffic is low, do you get at least a hundred view per day for all hubs

6. profile image0
      blake4dposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I received the same thing. The letter says:

"We regret to inform you that due to irregularities in your account's traffic, we have decided to terminate your participation in the HubPages Ad Program. You will be paid your final Ad Program earnings within 60 days if your Earnings Program balance is at least $5.00.

This does not affect your account status on HubPages, so your ability to publish and earn from your Hubs through other affiliate partners has not necessarily been impacted.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter."

It is weird because it hasn't impacted or changed my active status with Google. Not sure what to do about it.

So sorry to hear - I haven't got a clear answer on what "irregularities" means or what could be done to prevent them.  I've been madly trying to update my pages, and check for broken links and thin down the number of Amazon products, eBay items and affiliate links (like Zazzle and All Posters) that were allowed on Squidoo, but are not allowed on HubPages.  I have no time to try to engage in illicit activities even if I knew how!

7. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Irregularities" would most likely mean unusual traffic sources, clicks or traffic exchange websites. You can ask team HP exactly what it means and they will provide you the details.

I hope that's not the case. You should check your account page to make sure this is the case. Go to your account page, click on the earnings tab. In the Ad program, look if it says active or inactive. If it says inactive then you know it's for real.

8. PegCole17 profile image92
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is the first time I've heard of this happening. I hope when you find out the reason that you'll keep us informed. It would seem like they would send out a warning of "irregular" traffic activity or whatever before they cut your account off completely. How about a chance to fix what's gone wrong?
      Very strange...
      Have you checked under traffic sources to see if there is a surge in traffic from one place?

It would be nice to have a warning and a chance to fix, if it is something I can fix.  Most of my traffic seems to be coming from Pinterest.

2. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this Vicki. That would be devastating news to receive. Have you noticed any irregularities in your traffic stats when you look into them? Maybe that will give you a clue as to what is going on and where to go to from this point forward.

As I have been steadily (but slowly) updating my former Squidoo lenses I usually notice a little increase in traffic, but have no idea what would be considered "irregularities".

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

That is scary!!! Does WMT have any notes about manual actions by Google?

Sorry I don't know what WMT is - I'm still such a newbie.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Are there any suspicious website names or activity at http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/traffic-sources

The majority are from Pinterest, but most of these would be forwarded from my old Squidoo links on Pinterest since I haven't added any since my content was moved to HubPages.  Unless they've been pinned recently by other people.   There are a couple of odd webpages here and there, but they are only generating a very small amount of traffic - a handful of views over the course of the last 30 days..

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

WMT stands for Google Web Master Tools.  If I were you I would email the team and ask them what it is you need to correct...this sounds too vague to me.  If you don't know what it is, how are you supposed to fix it??

Thank you!

4. 2besure profile image81
    2besureposted 9 years ago

This is very frustrating.  I hope you can get things straightened out.

Me too!  So far I've really appreciated the very helpful information provided by Hubpages about lenses that have been copied, are considered overly promotional by Hubpages standards, have too many affiliate links, broken links, etc, but this email stunned me since I have no idea what these "irregularities" might be or how to correct the problem.

5. PNWtravels profile image74

Thanks Elsie - happy new year to you, too!

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

It could be that HubPages detected clicks on ads in your hubs that may seem like someone (or more people) are clicking on your ads only to help your earnings go up. That is the only thing I can think of that would be defined as "irregularities".

I certainly haven't clicked on any of my own ads and have never suggested to anyone else to do so either.  Most of the traffic on my most heavily visited hubs comes from Pinterest.  I haven't pinned anything myself on Pinterest  since my Squidoo pages were moved to Hubpages.

I checked my dashboard and it also indicates that I have been terminated from the HP Ad program.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
          rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would send an email to team@hubpages.com and put Terminated From Ad Program Inquiry in the subject heading.  If you have no idea what they're referring to, I'm sure they can clarify it for you and possibly give recourse.  If you add a link to your thread, it may help also. I hope you get it worked out.

EDIT: I didn't see your reply above that you responded to their message.  I would still send a separate message.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
          Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am sure you have not clicked on your own ads PMW. - it is most likely a quirk in the system.  It is sad this has happened. I hope this issue gets resolved in a positive way for you and soon.

I'm having enough trouble finding time to update all of my Squidoo pages  and send DMCA notices for the ones that have been copied  (They seem to multiply like rabbits!)  I certainly don't have time to waste clicking on ads. Thank you for your reply!

7. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

How did you receive the message?  Are you sure it's from HP Headquarters?

8. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

hope there is away for you to correct this.

Are you able to reply to that email?

I did reply to the email, but haven't heard anything back.
      Thank you for the comment.

1. colorfulone profile image77
        colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you haven't gotten a response yet from someone at HP HQ.
        It sure would be good to know what exactly is the problem here.

I have gotten a response, but it is very vague and doesn't really explain what the "irregularities" are and no answer to the question of whether or not there is anything I can do to be reinstated in the program.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Can you quote the reply so we can try to interpret it for you?

It was just basically a restatement of the original email "you were banned from the ad program for irregular traffic".

9. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

The usual reason for irregularities is massive amounts of clicks from one source. In this case it could be whoever has been copying your Hubs/Lenses. They may be trying to get you banned so that they benefit from all your hard work and the articles they have stolen. This is known as click bombing, I would hope that HP are aware that this can happen and you should definitely get help from team@hubpages.com and if that fails try contacting Paul Edmonson direct using his Email from his profile. I have found he is approachable fair, and will listen before he reacts in any way. He is a kind man.

10. PNWtravels profile image74

Thank you for the suggestions. 

I've been getting the majority of high volume traffic from Pinterest - especially on a couple of my pages that get the most traffic.  These pages have always gotten a lot of traffic via Pinterest even when they were on Squidoo, so nothing has really changed.  However, both are somewhat seasonal, so this is the first year they've been Hubs.  They always have a lot of traffic at Christmas time and then it tapers off.

It would seem to be really unfair to be removed from the HubPages Ad program for a lot of traffic from Pinterest that since HubPages has a "Pin it" button on each of our pages encouraging anyone to pin the page.  From there anyone can Re-pin so we really have no control over how much traffic is generated. 

One of the two Hubs with the most Pinterest traffic has been copied.  I have submitted a DMCA request, but the copied material hasn't been removed yet.

1. Dressage Husband profile image67
      Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One thing I did was change all my Pinterest links to be direct to the Hubpages article. That caused both an increase in traffic and my Hubber rank to increase. It seems that a lot of redirects does hurt your rank in both Google's and HP's eyes for some reason. Doing that may help and it definitely will not hurt.

That's probably a good idea.  I'll start doing that as soon as I finish getting my old Squidoo lenses up to HubPages standards.  Of course it won't help the 1000s of repins I've gottten from all of my old pins. I haven't posted anything on Pinterest since August but average over 100 repins per day from my pins.  I have no idea how many re- repins from there, but according to the stats I get a huge amount of traffic to some of my HubPages from Pinterest.

11. Shades-of-truth profile image84
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

Oh, Vickie, that is awful. I cannot imagine how that email hit you.

Question - did you copy and paste that message? If so, their email has a typo in it, which doesn't sound like an HP email. It says, in your original post - "We have decided to terminated your participation..." when it should say - "We have decided to terminate your participation..."

If you copied and pasted it, it seems odd there would be such a glaring typo.

That was my typo - not copied from the email.

1. Shades-of-truth profile image84
        Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Rats! I was hoping it was indicative of a bogus email.

Please do let us know what you find out. I hope it is simply another glitch!

12. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

I noticed in another forum thread that traffic numbers are crazy today and many people are seeing double traffic numbers. Cross fingers maybe this has something to do with it. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/127646

13. amazonrus profile image67
    amazonrusposted 9 years ago

Wow, that must really suck for you all.
    Sometimes, the hammer is hammered on the wrong person.
    This is life.
    Move on.
    Hubpages is not the only place to earn money.
    If you love writing, people are willing to pay $10 for an article.

14. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

Hi Vicki. I just read your hub about what dogs do when they are home alone. Loved it ... so I voted appropriately, and shared it as well.

If the rest of your 100 hubs are as interesting that one, I will have to read more. lol.

I do wonder if perhaps your multiple photos (uninterrupted by text) might have set off some kind of trigger ... but I'm sure if any team member were to look at that hub, they'd see how engaging it actually is - and override any automatic alarm.

Can't speak for the rest of your hubs, but I really enjoyed that one! Please write to the team again ... and perhaps copy and paste my positive feedback in your email. (Hopefully a few other hubbers might take a look at other hubs and tell you what they think as well.)

I vote PNWTravels receive the support she needs to get reinstated to the HP Ad program! Anyone else care to join me?

LTM smile

Thank you so much for your kind comments and support.

2. aesta1 profile image90
      aesta1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

LTM, I definitely am with you. Sorry about what happened PNWTravels. I hope this get resolved soon or, at least, you get an explanation.

Thank you.  I've been communicating with the team at HubPages, but so far a very vague explanation.

15. Elsie Hagley profile image70
    Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years ago

Just had a look at your hub about "Winter flowers in my garden". Very nice.
    There was adds on the hub, so it hasn't been terminated yet.

Hope all has been sorted out. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Elsie, ads show on Hubs even if the Hubber is enrolled in the program, because HubPages needs to make money too!

1. Elsie Hagley profile image70
        Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa, I just learnt something new. I didn't know that. cool

2. PNWtravels profile image74

Thank you Elsie!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)