Why does my hub have such a low score?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Sylvia Leong profile image88
    Sylvia Leongposted 9 years ago

I woke up this morning & my newly published hub has a score of 71.  Really???  Please help!  I don't know what more I can do.

I've spent about 4 years (on & off) both researching & "interviewing" my patients in preparation for this article.  Then I spent over 16 hours writing & editing it.  I've ensured that the "goal box" on the right hand side has all the check marks.  It's well written & I've included evidence based links.

http://sylvialeong.hubpages.com/hub/Hor … -The-Truth

Am I writing for the wrong website?

2. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

It is a well written article.  I don't know anything about how hubs are scored, and I didn't read the whole hub from start to finish, but I can recommend some changes from glancing at it to tweak the article and make it even better.

I would make the first paragraph must stronger.  It implies that the hub is about a tribute and not about a topic of hormone replacement therapy.  Since the introduction really affects how your hub is viewed (like the first five seconds people use to get an impression of you), you want it to be as strong and clear as you can.

I would recommend taking out the Suggested Articles box at the bottom.  None of them have anything to do with menopause, and are not related to the hub in any way.  Yes, they are medical and written by you, but they need to be directly related.  This may not affect the score, but it can cause your hub to be unfeatured prematurely.

I'm not sure whether you are using images legally, (the wordpress one and the negative feeeback loop, and the Howards Womens Health Watch are suspect). If you aren't, it probably doesn't affect the score, but I would try to use legal images. I doubt that this affects the score, but you might as well make the hub better and avoid future problems.

There are some spacing issues - looks like there are two spaces between each paragraph. I would use one. The right capsule under the table has a scroll bar for some reason. The "five facts" also has a scroll bar. I haven't seen scroll bars like that and don't know what is causing them, but I would see if I could find a way to avoid them.

#7 seems to be discussing studies without actually saying what was studied and what the finding are. I know you wouldn't do this, but it makes it seem like the hub is a compilation (copy and paste) from other sources, and this makes the whole hub suspect.

Are the five facts copied from the Buyer Beware article, like a quote, or are you simply using the website as a source of the info? The reference doesn't make that clear.

Well, I think that is enough to give you a good start. Like I said above, it is a well written article, and has a lot of potential. I'm sure you can get it up to 100 without too much effort!

3. Sylvia Leong profile image88
    Sylvia Leongposted 9 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you Millionaire Tips!  All your points are valid & I will sit down & look into each & every one.  I really appreciate you taking the time.

4. easylearningweb profile image85
    easylearningwebposted 9 years ago

Hi Slyvia, Did you just recently publish this hub? I've been publishing a lot of hub as I'm on day 25 of 30 of my 30 hubs in 30 days challenge, and I can say that for new hubs, it takes a little while to get the hub score up high in the 90's, because it depends on traffic too. I have been looking at my stats daily and they are improving so I'm sure yours will too. Good luck!

Sylvia Leongposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Easylearningweb,
      I published the Hub on 27 Dec 2014.  Since I've implemented many of Millionaire Tips's recommendations (which I totally agree with!)  Unfortunately, today the Hub score is now down to 67.  I sure hope you are right!

5. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

It is a great article; it came through my feed yesterday and I spent a good long while reading it and studying the tables and statistics, because the subject applies to my situation and your info was very useful to me. In fact, I voted it up and useful. Thanks to your well researched and presented information, I'm finally going to make an doctor's appointment and ask about HRT. I always thought HRT should be avoided at all costs, but I'm sick and tired of these symptoms and see that HRT might work out well for me. So, thanks. I should have left a comment thanking you yesterday.

Don't worry too much about the article score; the article score is not a grade. Scores usually start out fairly low and then go up or down as the article gains momentum or sinks. Scores are always in flux, rising and falling as an article gains readership and comments, is found by search engines and rises in page rank, is shared on social networks, traffic ebbs and flows, etc. The scoring method used is only vaguely explained by HP; it is almost as if scores are just for fun or to make things interesting. I know questions about scores certainly keep these forums in business. Maybe that is the purpose of the scores.

Don't worry about the score. Views are what are important. If your piece gets plenty of views, that is what really counts.

SmartAndFun,
      Wow!  Mission accomplished!  My whole purpose of writing this article was to help women who are suffering needlessly from the symptoms of menopause.  I'm so happy that I could help!
      Please check back with me & let me know how it goes.  If you want, I could include your story in the article (with a pseudonym of course).  Just email me at leongorthopaedichealth@gmail.com.
      Thank you!!!

6. Shades-of-truth profile image83
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

Sylvia - your article was great, and I said so in the comments.

The hub article of mine that receives the most traffic - far more than any of the others - has a very low Hub score. After asking in the forums about it, I have decided not to worry about it. The traffic is consistently higher, and I have had lots of comments on it.

Perhaps HP doesn't rate it high, but readers seemed to love it. The Hub scores are confusing, to say the least!

Thank you Shades-of-truth!  You give me hope.

1. Shades-of-truth profile image83
        Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My pleasure!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)