What would you do to improve Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years ago

I have two suggestions:

1.. Improve the statistics counter so that you aren't waiting for hours for them to update

2...Put little cover picture icons next to hubs in the statistics area so that you can find your own hubs      easier.

Any other suggestions?

1. DrMark1961 profile image94
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

1.Make the authorĀ“s avatar a wee bit larger on each hub. (Now it is so small that it seems HP is ashamed of the writer.)
      2.Add "Click here to read more by this writer" underneath the avatar on each hub. It may help a little, it may not. It is not going to ruin the layout of the page or increase page loading time.

Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great ideas!

Click here for more articles by this author!

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you will group your hubs, two of them, with photos, will show below the current hub.  It will have the same effect as "more by this author" with the added benefit that you can choose which two will be shown; presumably two more similar hubs/topics that the reader is already interested in.

It only shows two. If you have 30 or 40 in that particular group, they are not shown.
          It is not the same thing.

1. wilderness profile image95

If you want 30 or 40 links at the bottom of your hub, put a link capsule in.

I did not say I wanted to show 30 or 40. I do not want to show the "previous" and "next" selected by a robot, however.
              I do use the link capsule. When I select other hubs that I think might be of interest, they do not show an icon next to them. I spend a lot of time picking appropriate images for each hub, and I would like that icon to show up if I am recommending it.
              Am I to understand you are perfectly happy with the releated hubs that are displayed at the bottom of your work?

2. WilliamsDaniel profile image58
      WilliamsDanielposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. These are helpful suggestions for a new registered user like me.

2. chriscamaro profile image89
    chriscamaroposted 9 years ago

I would probably integrate all of the accolades into whatever formula is used to calculate earnings.  While accolades are a nice piece of decoration for one's profile page, they ought to reward the author in a measurable way.

1. wilderness profile image95

The formula to calculate earnings is:  100% of earnings on 60% of the views.  Unless you're going to diddle with that 60%, taking from HP's 40% share, there isn't much you can do.

3. chriscamaro profile image89
    chriscamaroposted 9 years ago

Oh I know, I'm just saying it'd be nice if they applied some sort of a factor to that like an extra 0.01 for each accolade or something lol

4. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 9 years ago

I have few issues with HubPages and nothing but good things to say for the most part. The only thing I really wish would change is the Related Hubs section at the bottom. I wish we had more control of that and could plug our own Hubs in there. And I wish the Related Hubs and grouped hubs appeared before all that ugly advertising.

It absolutely drives me nuts when I see Hubs by other people appear in the Related Hubs section of my Hub, when I know I have my own Hubs with similar, or in some cases identical, titles. 

Related Hubs could be such a useful tool for sending more visitors to OUR OWN related Hubs if we could only use it differently.

Deleted

1. EricDockett profile image96
        EricDockettposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do too, but it would sure look a lot nicer with the thumbnail images.

You've got a point there!  I'm with you on that one.

2. DrMark1961 profile image94

Especially when those related hubs are poorly written! I have clicked on a few at the bottom of one of my own hubs and thought "how did this thing even pass QAP?".

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Especially when those related hubs are poorly written! I have clicked on a few at the bottom of one of my own hubs and thought "how did this thing even pass QAP?"
        I agree with you on this point. I don't want to be associated with poorly written hubs as well.

5. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
    LeslieAdrienneposted 9 years ago

Brie, I love the cover picture icon idea....

Yea..I really wish that they would do that.  Just a thumbnail pic next to the edit box in stats.  Sometimes I have to google my own article just to find it.

6. Suzanne Day profile image92
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Here's one idea - give every hubber a free tshirt so that they can promote hubpages more!

Could run like a rewards system:

Write 50 hubs get x
    Write 100 hubs get x
    Write 500 hubs get x

Just a nice little thought to keep em writing.

1. Sunardi profile image67
      Sunardiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good idea.

2. Doodlehead profile image47
      Doodleheadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Suzanne-
      Would that it were that easy.......it does not work that way, although I wish it did.  Happy New year.

7. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
    LeslieAdrienneposted 9 years ago

I know... I have begun keeping an archive of all of my articles from all the writing sites where I post. If helps me keep from repeating myself and gives me easier offline access to them.

8. myefforts profile image52
    myeffortsposted 9 years ago

I would agree to the first option. It is becoming really necessary to get live stats now. This would help us plan our work and promotions.

9. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

That would only work if we could remember the thumbnail image of every single hub. Not so easy for those with hundreds of hubs.

I just type in one word of the title I'm looking for into the browser's "find" feature and never have any problems finding a hub on my stats page.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9075051_f248.jpg

Thanks Sue Adams I just did this to find the hub I published the other night. I have hundreds of articles and wanted to find out how many page views this one had, but after looking through the list could not find it. The "find" located it right away, of course.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I use the F3 key and type in a keyword from the title to find articles quickly from my list of hubs on the stats page. Same basic idea as Sue's.

10. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

An improvement would be to provide a button:
    "Nominate as Editor's Choice hub" below every stellar hub,  a hub that has all the boxes ticked in the" Need Some Goals" feature in edit mode.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9075066_f248.jpg

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sue, does that mean you're finding there's a benefit in being an Editor's Choice Hub?   I've found the opposite.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
        Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, in my experience it has been beneficial. Mind you, I only have 1 EC hub but that hub has consistently gained more views since it became an EC hub.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I've found being in EC lost me traffic.   I have a theory (though it is only a theory) that it's because most of the Hubs chosen were written before sub-domains were introduced. 

The reason is that when your Hub becomes EC, it is 301 redirected from its original URL.   Hubs that were written before sub-domains, or were transferred from Squidoo, already have at least one 301 redirect.  While a 301 redirect is important to tell Google where the Hub is, multiple redirects are generally a bad thing and I think that's the problem.

Obviously that is going to impact only longer-standing Hubbers or ex-Squids, though.

The EC hub in question, that has gained traffic since becoming an EC hub, was written on 12/21/09. Is that before we had our own sub-domains?

1. Writer Fox profile image32
              Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Yes it is, so that's blown my theory out of the water!  smile

Well, 1 case doesn't make a statistic. smile

11. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 9 years ago

My suggestion is to encourage fellow writers to follow HubPages on Facebook and share posts there. I've only recently discovered the official page. It seems lonely.
    https://www.facebook.com/Hubpages.com

12. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 9 years ago

There is a guy called Arvind Dixit who is currently looking for a new opportunity online and should immediately be recruited by HubPages.  This guy could truly revolutionise this site smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)