Resolving To Improve My Writing In 2015

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (37 posts)
  1. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 9 years ago

I'm determined to improve as a writer.  This is my goal for 2015 and a gift to myself. Yesterday I began taking the necessary steps to reach this target.   What about you?  Is there an area in your life you want to improve on this year?  Let's hear about it!

1. Hezekiah profile image86
      Hezekiahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Same for me. I will start by improving my existing hubs

vocalcoachposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Let's go, my friend!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Since I already have spent a great deal of time improving my hubs, it has become clear that writing skill is only part of the issue.  My numbers have barely risen since my fall from grace last August.  I now realize that I could improve until I am blind, but if Google decides to zap me or if I'm not good with keywords or marketing my work, nothing I do will matter.

Some people have "the knack"...others just do not...even though they may write well.  So, this year I will write more for my own pleasure and forget about the other stuff.  Like most of us here, I'm doing the best I can.

And your best is good enough for me. I always enjoy your excellent hubs.!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, if only Google felt as you do!!!

3. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What a great goal! I'm sure your hard work and determination will pay off. Best of luck on the journey. smile

4. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a great goal and wish you much success in your journey.  What steps are you taking to become a better writer?

Thank you for your good wishes.  Some of the steps I am taking are:
        1. Working with an editor and learning from my mistakes.
        2.  Studying books on good writing.
        3.  Revising my own hubs and using the new knowledge I've gained.
        4.  Proof-reading every hub and making better choices.
        5.  Starting my own how-to-book on singing.
        6.  Praying.  smile

5. Mercedes Anderson profile image60
      Mercedes Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Same here!

Good goal Mercedes.  Read everything you can get your hands on that pertain to being a good writer.  It's also helpful to read stellar hubs - we can learn much from doing this.

6. lisavanvorst profile image63
      lisavanvorstposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My health. The older I get the more things break down. I am more physically tired. Sure I get mentally tired but that I can control. It is the physical component that I need to work on. Don't hesitate to see doctors, if you do not have medical coverage please look into what your state has to offer. Never ignore any medical problems whether they are physical or mental.

Health is the most important factor, especially when we get older.  And I wish you good health. Happiest of New Years!

7. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I want to improve on my health and diet and not use the word "diet" but have a life changing and permanent desire to improve my health overall.  Last year, I was unable to publish much here on HP due to life circumstances, but I did still continue to read, and by reading I think it has strengthened my writing too ... we shall see once I begin publishing again.  Happy New Year!

Faith Reaper
        I am eager to read your latest hubs and hope your health absolutely 'glows' in this New Year. When our body is filled with pain and health problems it's difficult to adjust.  The same can be said for life's circumstances.

I, too dislike the word 'diet.'  Feeding our body nutritious and healthy food, exercising in a way we enjoy like nature walking, and loving ourselves, works miracles.  Blessings to you my friend.

2. neosurk profile image87
    neosurkposted 9 years ago

I want to read more this year. The more I read, the more easily I'll be able to explain myself to others and make them clear. I'm also looking to take an English as a foreign language test this year, so reading more should help it.

I am also trying this new thing to be less judgemental and critical of others. Not jumping into conclusion, thinking things twice etc.

You really are committed to being a better writer. Good for you!

I also compliment you on your desire to be less judgmental and critical of others. We all need to concentrate on this!

3. Laeeka profile image68
    Laeekaposted 9 years ago

Does anybody have some good tips on guidelines for how to go about publishing a book?

1. Laeeka profile image68
        Laeekaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Useful tips in this article. Thank you!

4. littlething profile image95
    littlethingposted 9 years ago

That's an awesome goal! Mine is to reach payout every month. I'm planning on going back to school, and the extra money will help.

Reaching payout each month is a good goal.  Keep writing those hubs, be active, comment on other hubs, revise your older hubs and always create original, interesting content.  This will help you reach your goal. Thanks.

5. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Like you, I really want to improve my writing. I think that search engines have their own goals which is to make money so more and more, this will leave us earning a pittance so I will focus on my writing as you do and watch the 2015 shift search engines will do. There is so much to learn to write well. I wish I have the gift others have.

aesta1
      Even the best of writers have their demons and keep working on their craft. That means we writers here at Hubland even need to work harder and learn all we can.  As far as Search Engines go, I wish I knew the secret to pleasing them.  Thanks.

6. sachin001 profile image32
    sachin001posted 9 years ago

I am also trying to getting better at hubpages. Learning new things daily and learning many good things from the mistakes that has been done in 2014. I will surely try not to repeat them all.

7. simonlivingston profile image61
    simonlivingstonposted 9 years ago

I think that constantly trying to improve yourself is the best way to be successful in life. Good Luck!

Simonlivingston

Thanks for the great message.  I've long thought that when we stop trying to improve we stop living.  That may seem a bit extreme, never-the-less this is how I feel.

8. profile image0
    ShirleyJCJohnsonposted 9 years ago

I'm hoping to improve in my writing as well.  I've already self-published one book"let" at KDP and hope to have the next one by the end of January.  I love to write and thank God every day for this skill.  To God be all glory, honor and praise.

ShirleyJCJohnson

Wonderful!  What a satisfying feeling this must bring to you. Thank you for acknowledging God in your success.

1. profile image0
        ShirleyJCJohnsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God IS my success.  And thank you, for your encouragement.

9. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 9 years ago

To improve my writing and finally start my novel.  Ideas rattle around in my head and haunt my dreams.  Writing them down and finally starting that novel this year would be great.
    Your hubs on singing and all things music are GREAT.

tillsontitan
      We have the same goals and I'm thrilled to have such talented company. smile  I'm determined to start my book on 'singing.'  The question is 1.  How to begin  2.  How to organize my thoughts and chapters.  Yikes!

Knowing you, Mary, I have complete confidence that you will complete your goals.  I'll be the first in line to buy your novel!
      Thank you for the nice compliment.

1. tillsontitan profile image81
        tillsontitanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I may borrow a line from my childhood, "it take one to know one and you're the one".  Well, if we finish our books we know at least one copy will be sold...to each other.  God bless.

10. Fred Arnold profile image60
    Fred Arnoldposted 9 years ago

That is a good goal! Check out my Hub on bettering your writing. I had an awesome journalist professor last semester and he gave me a lot of insight that helped like you wouldn't believe! And for 2015 I would like to improve my sleeping habits, to be honest. I always sleep in on my days off and get nothing accomplished!

http://fredarnold.hubpages.com/hub/10-W … hy-Not-You

Fred
      I will look at your hub on writing and thanks for posting a link.  I'm ready to learn from you. As for sleeping I found that by going to bed 1 hour earlier, or more if needed, provides me with enough sleep.  Then I'm up earlier and getting more accomplished.  Just sayin'.  smile

1. Fred Arnold profile image60
        Fred Arnoldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've tried that! Then my 7-9 hours of sleep turns into 12! Haha. I need to get better at forcing myself up! I started to make the vanilla chai tea latte (starbucks recipe) at home so that has been a big motivating factor of getting up in the morning! They are delicious smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)