The new young American ! Any comments ?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (44 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12145144.jpg

2. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I don't know what point you are making.  I am an old immigrant Amercian and that just looks like a dude riding in a car listening to music and charging his phone to me. Quite normal activities.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

...are they passengers in the car of life in which they shut out everything?
    Including their parents?
    Some.
    It all depends on how they were raised.
    In a home where God is revered and the Bible is read and The Ten Commandments are reviewed and enforced through boundaries and love, they are not like this one...
    at all.

1. Aime F profile image70
      Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes, my favourite of the Ten Commandments:

Thou shalt not listen to headphones in the car.

...seriously, what does that have to do with anything? lol

4. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

We have no idea who else is in the car and whether they would like or have discouraged conversation.  I did not leap to any assumptions.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Many Kids look like this one in attitude. I know some who want nothing to do with their parents and refuse to listen to any good advice whatsoever. Some are at home at 30 playing video games and can't find a way to achieve real success in the real world. They are addicted to virtual realities where they CAN succeed.

1. psycheskinner profile image85
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea how you know so much about this person. 

To me he looks like an adult who might be in the car with absolutely anyone under absolutely any conditions, whose parents might be alive or dead, who might live anywhere, and have any hobbies or none.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
          Quilligrapherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12145144.jpg
          Your posts are quite right. There is nothing in this photo to indicate this young man was not raised in a home in which God was revered. Nor does the picture reveal anything about his exposure to or his acceptance of the Bible and the Ten Commandments. In fact, I don't even see anything that proves he is an American.

The image is a useful Rorschach test, however.
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

Yes, what is the point.  What should he look like?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Leave those kids alone

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Sorry, ahorseback. I tried. neutral

7. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

Tried to take a totally irrelevant photo and use it to assert your beliefs over everyone else's? Yes, you sure did.

The photo reveals an attitude which I am familiar with… ahorseback, as well, one would assume…
      The photo does not show a happy carefree, enthusiastic youth looking forward to great expectations.
      I put the ideas keyboarded in OP with the photo and voila: A point of view, which I agreed with.
      and gave a remedy for.
      As usual, Take It Or Leave It.
      Anyone's free choice.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

He could be listening to tapes on.:How to follow Jesus footsteps in the sand:

lol

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

no... he would have a smile on his face.

Oh, so people who believe in God are guaranteed to be happy? What a revelation!

- that is exactly right.
        TWISI

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

- leather jacket, sullen expression, hiding behind sunglasses, not driving… can never unhook from the music on his smart phone.
    You know the type!

I thought only people in heaven smile all the time?

Our job: Bring heaven to earth.

10. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 9 years ago

Oh please people ! My point is this , almost every teen  I have met in recent years  has earphones attached surgically to their heads   , while they constantly text their friends , , are distant , disrespectful and adverse to  any advice ,  My point isn't this photo itself ,  Psychskinner ,  nor about leaving all  the kids alone Castle ,  we all wonder why our youth has so  dumbed down  when it comes to learning and  having any knowledge of current or historical  fact !   College frat parties  are more important than any  learning ,WHEN  they graduate , if they actually do , and move back home  !   

I'm asking if anyone else thinks there's something wrong  with  our youth  , or with how they are being raised ?

- would you like to discuss:
      the tyranny of public school education?
      rampant divorce?
      single parent homes?
      lack of freedom in America?
      food stamps?
      welfare?
      BOREDOM?

Kids generation y and x have it much harder and they are smarter than our generation boomers.

Give other affordable options. I've turned on millions of x and y's to riding on snow playground and museum history displays. Theme park show, sand sculpture contests, mini golf and dozens of other ways to get them off the bootube.
        That we are on right now.

It is a good source of intellectual stimulation/writing practice.
          Not a boobtube at all! Kids need a HubPages just for them!
          Glad you are turning on x's and y's! (MILLIONS?)
          When are you going to make your oversized snowman?

OK, boobtube is more the TV and vidio games.

Point is, too
            much of anything
            can unbalance a life.

2. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Ahorseback, really?

You did say, “almost every teen I have met.” Right?

Here, found in less than three minutes, are more exceptions to the cynicism in your statement then you, apparently, were able to find in a lifetime.

Look here…

“Most of the great achievements throughout history in the fields of art, culture, science and technology have been by teenagers. This may be because they are able to think in new and innovative ways, or their thinking is not hidebound by discredited nostrums.” {1}

Or look here…

Examples of young people who “had supportive and caring adult relationships, opportunities to lead themselves and others, a sense of belonging with a positive peer group, a focus on their future and their abilities, challenging learning experiences, and opportunities to give back in service to their community.” {2}

The premise in the OP is an illogical hasty generalization. You may never have looked beyond the limited number of teens you met or, perhaps, you simply haven’t met nearly enough teenagers in your life to validly judge them all!
      {1} http://www.conservapedia.com/Great_Achi … cite_ref-0
      {2} http://wymancenter.org/tag/teen-accomplishments/

3. Aime F profile image70

I think this is a massive generalization and probably one that gets passed down through the generations. I'm willing to bet that the generation before yours was grumbling about "youth these days" while shaking their fists. Things change. What childhood was for me is going to be somewhat different than what childhood is like for my daughter. We all tend to hold our experiences up a little bit higher, so when the next generation misses out on something that we had or experiences something totally foreign to us, it's sometimes hard to grasp that being a positive thing.

I must say I don't really understand the griping about headphones. I get some of my best thinking done with my headphones in, focusing on a task or my surroundings. Not everyone wearing headphones is doing so because they want to shut out the rest of the world or are being anti-social. It's not like people used to befriend everyone that took the bus or train with them before headphones were invented.

I can understand how texting/social media can have a negative effect if used too frequently or in place of 'real' interactions, but I also don't think it's fair to assume that it's a problem that runs rampant among youth. I think if used appropriately, texting, social media, etc. can actually supplement certain relationships. I've met so many lovely people on social media that add love and friendship to my life. I keep in touch with my best friend who moved across the country mostly via text. These things aren't always bad.

I've been in college/university for 8 years now and I can assure you that not one person I've met cares more about partying than their education. People seem to forget that tuition is absurdly expensive so actually passing classes and making the most out of them is important to most people. It also seems to be forgotten that most post-secondary institutions require you to have a minimum GPA in order to keep attending. So unless everyone is really good at guessing answers on exams, there is significant learning happening. The number of students attending university has been increasing for over a decade (at least where I'm from) and I recall seeing an article saying that university attendance is at an all-time high in the UK as well.

If you ask me, I think today's youth have a lot of advantages and get to live in a more accepting social environment than previous decades (though there are still a lot of improvements to be made). For example, the smoking rates among teens is the most rapidly decreasing group. Teen pregnancy rates are dramatically declining. Major cities are seeing all-time lows in hate crimes. The LGBT community is gaining loads of support (finally) and hopefully the babies and toddlers of today can go off to junior high and high school comfortable with their sexuality.

I hope today's youth don't stumble upon your post and assume that everyone from the older generations is cynical, pessimistic, and judgmental. smile

11. Quilligrapher profile image73
    Quilligrapherposted 9 years ago

Where is the "applause" button?

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Those who do not live in America might not understand how things have changed here.
    What THINGS? you ask.

Opportunities, habits, expectations, enthusiasms, inspirations, interests...
    Being able to live a full life: camping, hiking, skiing, swimming, learning a trade, graduating from college with BA / MA, having a career, affording children and a house...
    Living a real life in general.
    I agree Screen technology should be supplemental, and a tool for life.
    Not an escape.
    Technology can improve life and can enable education, enriching activities, travel, social networking, etc.
    But living life abundantly should always be the goal.

How does one objectively measure enthusiasm, inspirations, and time spent outside across generations?

As for your college reference, I'm assuming you're saying that there are less people getting degrees now than there were in previous generations?

How does one not? You compare. You can't help it. Evidence is everywhere: Movies, talk radio, memories of your own youth, observations of people around you and at various venues, including campuses…

What do you know about American colleges?
        What?

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

In western Canada a few days ago.

It was sooooo colddd I watched a teenager pull up his pants.

That's hard core.

13. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

I just looked specifically for America's post-secondary enrolment rates. The most recent one I could find was from 2011 and it had enrolment rates at an all-time high. I suppose things could have significantly plummeted in the past few years... do you have a link to support that? Since you're making the claim I assume you got it from somewhere.

Oh, and since you specifically said graduating from college, I looked that up, too. Most recent I could find was from 2009 - again, all time highs for students graduating with a Bachelor's degree or higher. Same with high school graduation, if you were curious.

I trust you have some information showing the massive decline in post-secondary attendance and graduation rates over the last 3-5 years. Look forward to reading it.

I'm certainly not an expert on American colleges, so if you are, feel free to correct the stats I've found. However, you seem to come to most of your conclusions based on your observations alone.

14. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Ahorseback mentioned,  "College frat parties  are more important than any  learning ,WHEN  they graduate , if they actually do , and move back home  ! "

"UCSB is also known for its annual free music festival, Extravaganza. It is held at Harder Stadium in the spring and generally attracts around 8,000 people. Past performers have included Nas, T.I., E-40, Sublime, Run-D.M.C., The Pharcyde, Social Distortion, Jack Johnson, Drake and Snoop Dogg amongst many others.'
    One non-sanctioned sport also draws many students to UCSB: surfing. The on-campus beaches include a number of decent surfing sites, including "Poles," "Campus Point," "Depressions" and "Sands" and "Devereaux Point" on the west campus. Because Campus Beach actually faces South and East, and is shielded by the Santa Barbara Channel Islands, the surf is usually quite small. However, a large North or West swell can wrap in to create great waves which are typically very clean and good for surfing."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University … ta_Barbara

Believe me, this is known party school. I've heard many a story. big_smile
    and why? because of the tyranny of thirteen years of public school.
    If you ask me. (Finally, freedom!)

Q.  Why are they living at home in record numbers after graduating?

15. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

Probably because it's ridiculously hard to get a mortgage and housing prices are astronomical (at least where I live). I'm not sure how that's the youth's fault, though.

They can rent to own in our tiny housing projects and it's affortable to the 90% . If they can handle off grid.

Yes, but you have to be considered low income. A lot of people are making an average amount of money and don't qualify, but they also can't afford a mortgage/rent elsewhere without being house poor. I personally think it's much smarter to stay at home an extra few years (if that's an option) and build some savings than it is to commit to spending 90% of your paycheque on a mortgage.

The boomers end up building bigger houses to room either their parents, their kids and maybe their kids. Tiny houses is the best bet. For most latino either save up and build their homes. Or rent to own a house making more of them happier than us.I know from building tiny houses down
          there.

16. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

No one is blaming the youth. We are merely observing and comparing them to what we remember of the youth and times of the past.
    The question is:
    Do they have as many opportunities for employment, earning a living, finding a career, starting and owning businesses, contributing to society in meaningful and significant ways?
    It is a good question, which adults and parents need to keep in mind.
    Thats all...

In my opinion.

I think employment opportunities are kind of a separate topic than what we've been discussing... the OP implied that youth were not taking responsibility for their lives or their education. I'm saying that youth are actually focusing on their education more than they ever have and the difficulty finding a job or home after they graduate has more to do with the job/housing market than it does with their dedication to obtaining a degree.

No, I think he was asking for observations and comments. I think he wants to understand the antisocial attitudes the youth seem to have against us… the old schoolers. I am sure we were the same toward our parent's generation…maybe worse. LOL

17. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

I agree the youth are more intelligent and aware than ever before. I hope they will continue to inspire and help one another.
    Joy of life is the key and HOPE in real terms, not fantasy.

18. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Ahorseback, I asked:
    - would you like to discuss:
    the tyranny of public school education?
    rampant divorce?
    single parent homes?
    lack of freedom in America?
    food stamps?
    welfare?
    BOREDOM?
    I think these contribute greatly to attitudes of the youth.
    And its not their fault.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)