Learning Can Be A Lifetime Experience

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image81
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12141494.jpg
    “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” Proverb 22:6 NIV

Sometimes we tend to think just because our children are teens or young adults that the training is over. This is a crucial time when training is more important than ever. It’s when they are subjected to all types of temptations and experience situations that may not have been possible a decade ago.

The most important thing is to keep the lines of communication open. It’s all too easy to be judgmental and make accusations. Life is filled with constant learning and large doses of understanding should be administered along with effective LISTENING! Spend more time learning WHY they do things instead of just CRITICIZING the outcome of their choices.

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have learned this valuable lesson through the interacting with my children and now my grandchildren. Sometimes we as parents make assumptions that later prove terribly wrong.

2. pitzele profile image71
      pitzeleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have also learned to not just listen but also to:
      a)  Remember how I would have reacted as a teenager
      b)  Not necessarily respond after listening - sometimes sympathy (read:  non-judgmental listener) is far more effective than trying to give advice, which is often neither wanted nor appreciated.
      We're still working through the teenage years with two and have another guy about to be a teen, but I'm still here to talk about it! smile

2. Debra Verville profile image60
    Debra Vervilleposted 9 years ago

So true. And being a teenager is not easy at all. I have had four teenagers and always kept the lines of communication open. It can be tough sometimes but so worth it in the end.

You are to be commended on your efforts! Thanks for sharing.

2. Teddletonmr profile image67
      Teddletonmrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I find communicating with my teenage boys quite the challenge. It seems to me, teenage kids, / young adults. Today verbal communication skills are more like a text message that comprise of sentence fragments and abbreviations that are misleading.

1. pitzele profile image71

It is funny you say that - as much as I can understand your statement, I actually find my daughter to be far more difficult to communicate with.  My boys will eventually open up after gentle discussion but my daughter translates everything into her own ideas and all I can do sometimes is smile and tell myself to be patient, she'll speak English in a few years.

1. Teddletonmr profile image67
          Teddletonmrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes, girls my loving wife and I, are blessed with two preadolescents. I must admit drama is the center of their universe. smile

My problems didn't germinate until they were in their teens. They were young and very impressionable children and believed everything I told them. Which was good because I was always honest and upfront with them. However, once peer pressure hit ... they were more the dominant ones than the followers.

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image81

There was more of a challenge with my one daughter than my two sons combined. Though they have proven to be very loyal; I never know what my daughter will say or do.

Completely understand.  My boys are very loyal and I just never know what my daughter will think.

I wonder if its a hormone thing or if girls are just that way now a days.

I do believe it is a hormone thing, in addition to the fact that I have also noticed that girls think/process information differently than boys.  Although there is no one gender which is emotionally stronger than the other, girls seem to more times than not react in a more emotional manner than boys.

Perhaps it is the so called "nesting instinct" in girls that becomes more dominant as they age. The desire to have there own  place to procreate and form a family whereas boys are happier wherever they "roost" be it with Mom or significant other.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)