Pope Francis, a unique Pope for the people

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Mark Johann profile image61
    Mark Johannposted 9 years ago

We all know that in humility, peace flourish. Catholic forum only, please. For none Catholics who want to join our forum, please don't be harsh if you want to share your views. Thank you.

1. IslandBites profile image90
      IslandBitesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

He seems to be a good person. At least brave, so far. I hope he doesn't "die" suddenly.

Mark Johannposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Let's pray for that. By prayer, everything is possible.

2. cjhunsinger profile image61
      cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mark
      Born into Catholicism and once an aspiring student in the Jesuit order, I do have some knowledge of the Church.
      I would question your claim that; " We all know that in humility, peace flourish." Can you show how this is true, using whatever history you would like.

I embrace that one as common sense. This is my broad way of the expression of the fruit of humility if you know what I mean. Thanks for your question. smile

1. cjhunsinger profile image61

Mark
          No, I do not know what you mean? Your statement was stated as a truth.  I would like to see that truth.
          If a statement is not truthful than common sense has no application and to attempt to brush it aside serves only to discredit your entire position.
          In your request for people not to be harsh, are you requesting that they simply agree with your position?

I don't make things complicated. I simply say in broad way about being a good individual under our faith to our Creator.

1. cjhunsinger profile image61

Mark
              No, you allude to a truth to support a  position that cannot be supported. At best that would be disingenuous.
              Is this then the foundation of the Catholic Church, the illusion of a truth to accommodate a fallacious position.
              I know the answer to that question, so if you wish to answer choose your words  carefully.

2. Jomine Jose profile image71
              Jomine Joseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Being good under faith? I shudder to think what you would do if it's proved to you that there is no god. After all it is the catholics who went out to love their enemies who created the strappado.

2. Mark Johann profile image61
    Mark Johannposted 9 years ago

The recent visit of Pope Francis to Sri Lanka and Philippines is a missionary adventure in living our faith as Catholic. These are third world countries but faith is flourishing in the surrounding different religions.

1. Jomine Jose profile image71

Faith is flourishing precisely because they are third world countries where a good majority are illiterate and in poverty. I guess they selected a pope out of Europe for the very same purpose as there is no future for Christianity in Europe.

Rich people love money and poor people love God. You cannot serve money and God. You have to choose one. Have you studied Christianity and the Bible?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
          Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. Money is very useful to anyone/everyone who loves God! In fact the Bible advises us to procure / earn enough money not only for ourselves but to help the poor!  Business is actually a very spiritual pursuit.

That Pope Francis is visiting Sri Lanka and the Philippines where faith is flourishing is wonderful.
          Right?

Right. I agree with you though in your views. Thanks.

2. Jomine Jose profile image71

Is that why the catholic church is one of the richest business organisation? Both rich and poor love money and it is the rich that give large sums for charity not poor.

I studied Bible more than enough to know that most stories are simple myths, instructive myths none the less.
          I have studied Christianity,  as a Catholic I had to study it in school and as Sunday catechism. What they didn't tell, I got from history books.

History books are not match to our faith, your faith. Literally, science is not comparable with religion.

Deep inside is the best way to know if Bible is a myth or not.

Faith is the blind trust that the priest who ask for your money has your best interests at heart and knows better. Science is not comparable with religion, science is using the brain while religion is herding. Sheep and sheperd is the best anology for religion, priest is the wise sheperd who leads the sheep, drinks it milk and eat it as and when he pleases, while the foolish sheep is like the religious who merely follow him while scientific is being self reliant like the "street dog".

Not deep inside but common sense and common sense says it can be nothing but myths.

Science and religion should go hand in hand...
                and do.

They do not, science is about reason and logic while religion is about believing myths as true and reaching nonsensical but easy explanations based on that myths for human experiences.
                  Science is about progress while religion is about keeping the status quo.

No, religion is about consciousness, when properly understood.
                    It is not about worshiping so much as it is about focusing on / comprehending reality.
                    ...when properly understood.

2. Mark Johann profile image61

Bible is not myth. It even exist in history books.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Detection:
    "...In the history of radio communications, the term "detector" was first used for a device that detected the simple presence or absence of a radio signal, since all communications were in Morse code. The term is still in use today to describe a component that extracts a particular signal from all of the electromagnetic waves present. Detection is usually based on the frequency of the carrier wave, as in the familiar frequencies of radio broadcasting, but it may also involve filtering a faint signal from noise, as in radio astronomy, or reconstructing a hidden signal, as in steganography." W
    Perception:
    "… is the organization, identification, and interpretation of sensory information in order to represent and understand the environment. All perception involves signals in the nervous system, which in turn result from physical or chemical stimulation of the sense organs. For example, vision involves light striking the retina of the eye, smell is mediated by odor molecules, and hearing involves pressure waves. Perception is not the passive receipt of these signals, but is shaped by learning, memory, expectation, and attention. Perception involves these "top-down" effects as well as the "bottom-up" process of processing sensory input. The "bottom-up" processing transforms low-level information to higher-level information (e.g., extracts shapes for object recognition). The "top-down" processing refers to a person's concept and expectations (knowledge), and selective mechanisms (attention) that influence perception. Perception depends on complex functions of the nervous system, but subjectively seems mostly effortless because this processing happens outside conscious awareness." W
    Consciousness:
    "Consciousness is the quality or state of awareness, or, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself. It has been defined as: sentience, awareness, subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel, wakefulness, having a sense of selfhood, and the executive control system of the mind. Despite the difficulty in definition, many philosophers believe that there is a broadly shared underlying intuition about what consciousness is. As Max Velmans and Susan Schneider wrote in The Blackwell Companion to Consciousness: "Anything that we are aware of at a given moment forms part of our consciousness, making conscious experience at once the most familiar and most mysterious aspect of our lives." W

From what you wrote
      "Consciousness is the quality or state of awareness, or, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself. It has been defined as: sentience, awareness, subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel, wakefulness, having a sense of selfhood, and the executive control system of the mind"
      There is no detection here, if it fit the definition it is conscious whether you detect it or not.
      Detection mechanisms merely enhance your sense for your perception.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Jesus said:
    "Be still, (meditate,) and know (perceive) that I (Christ Consciousness) am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, (anyone,) I will be exalted in the earth, (everyone.)

So, to perceive, detect, become conscious of God, be still.

"Neither shall they say, See here! or, see there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."
    Bible: American King James Version

TWISI

Both quotes are meaningless. Each word has a meaning, but as a sentence it is balderdash, the one who wrote it had no idea what he was talking about. He/she is like the naked king. In addition the first quote is merely the boasting of a humongous bighead. 
      So can you tell what you meant or saw?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)