Has anyone here used "Critique Circle"?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

I have a short story that I'd like critiqued and found "Critique Circle" in a google search which seems to have a nice format and a logical system set up. It has a Writer's Digest seal and I have great respect for that website.

I have submitted my story for a contest even though I realize it has a lot of problems. I can't publish it here on hubpages for critique until that contest is over.  I know for certain that it can't possibly win and this is not based on false humility. I submitted it at  the very last minute and didn't proof it, so it has terrible flaws.  (I even called one of my characters "Jenny" instead of "Julie" once within the story).  I am anxious to work on the flaws before that contest is over while the story is still cookin' in my brain, so I'm wondering if anyone here might have used Critique Circle and what your opinion of it might be.   

Thanks Hub Buds, (Whew, that's REALLY hard to say! Don't try it after a glass of wine.)

Billie Kelpin

1. Say Yes To Life profile image79
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info!  A few years back, I was in a creative writing class where everyone critiqued our work, and we re-wrote it several times.  I wanted to form a club after class was over, but no one was interested.  I'm glad something like this exists online!

Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Say Yes,
        Exactly!  I remember our critiques in my writing class.  Our "how-to" articles that we write here are pretty straight-forward, but so many of us want to perfect the short story and novel - a whole different ball game smile  I'm going to check it out.  Cheers, Billie

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'll have to check out Critique Circle. I joined a site called WritersCafe (dot org) a few days ago, mainly because I like to write poetry. I know poetry generally doesn't make money and gets little traffic (unless you want to work some SEO into it, which I don't think I want to do). Writers Cafe appealed to me mainly because I like the look of the site. I haven't had anyone there critique my stuff yet, but I'm not that interested in that; mostly I just wanted a place to write some poetry.

We'll have to check that out Nate.  Now that you mention it, I'm wondering if that was the place years ago that had a great list of contests.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

It is one of the better sites for swapping feedback with other lawyers.  But he advice in any given response you get is only as good as the abilities of the person who happens to be giving it.

Psycheskinner,  There must be another website of the same name.  This is a writer's critiquing site.

3. psycheskinner profile image83

Lol autocorrect on my phone made authors into lawyers.

I have been a member on critique circle for 5 years now.

LOL!  That autocorrect has "done me in" more than once.  Actually, I think the grammar and spell check at 2:00 am without me re-checking is one of the reasons that story will never win the contest.  It changed my grammar and wording in at least two places that should never have been corrected.  (However, waiting until the last day of the contest to WRITE the story in the first place might have had something to do with it smile smile smile 
      Well, then, Psycheskinner GREAT!  Thank you so much.  I'm going to sign up today.  Really appreciate this! PS Kristin Gunsberg had a good suggestion that you'd be more qualified to tackle having 5 years of experience.  She suggested a review of the site.  Hope you would create a hub like that since I'm sure there would be interest!  Thanks again. Cheers, Billie

4. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 9 years ago

I've never heard of it but now I'm totally interested! I'll have to check it out = ) Maybe you could write a review of the site after some time there, Billie.

Kristin, After Psycheskinner's respose I'm definitely going to check this out.  I think a review would be a great idea.  Since Psycheskinner has experience, I'm hoping she will write us all a hub about it.  Let's give it a whirl!

5. psycheskinner profile image83

Maybe I should do a review. I have tried many sites of this type and CC would be on the top 3. The points system means people get back in proportion to what they give. In the long run I still think beta readers who know your genre or a smaller group where people know what your goals are is better. But CC is very good as a first step in that direction.

PS, I think that would be a WONDERFUL hub - helpful to everyone who writes.  A comparison/contrast of various sites might be good since you mentioned the top 3.  Looking forward!

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

Just noticed this and thanks for the tip!    I've joined as MarisaW and am going to try it out.  I'm not sure yet how easy it is to find people by username but happy to keep an eye out for fellow Hubbers.

Marisa,  I didn't get a chance to sign up yet, but when I do, I'll look for you smile I'll probably use BillieK if it's available .

7. teee2 profile image62
    teee2posted 9 years ago

I have never heard of Critique circle. Thanks for making me hear this for the first time. I will check it out too.

8. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

Popping back in with an update.   

I joined, tried it, wasn't impressed at first - but now I really like it.   I wouldn't bother upgrading to the paid membership, I don't think, but the free one is very useful and I've already gained a lot from it in just a few days. 

The way it works is that you have to critique other people's work to earn points, and once you have enough points you can post your own work for others to critique. 

I was dismayed at the quality of some of the writing at first, but then I realised that's the beauty of CC - you don't have to critique something if you don't want to, you simply close that document and move on to the next one.    I like that much better than the old-fashioned writers' circle where you all swap manuscripts - it's awkward getting handed something really awful and not knowing what to say!!  Plus I think, because you're dealing with people personally, they are sometimes reluctant to be honest - which is not what you really want, even if the truth can be hard to swallow sometimes!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)