I'd like feedback on my Hub: Brigid's Cloak

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. WoodlandBard profile image76
    WoodlandBardposted 9 years ago

Hello kind people

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. I've had a look at this and have run out of improvement ideas. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Brigid's Cloak. What can I do to improve it? Many thanks :-)

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I suggest reworking the first three sentences to simplify.
      For example, perhaps you could start by saying:

Brigid's Cloak is a series stories and traditions about a cloak that covers the earth. The cloak covers sacred places, protects us as clothing.

The next phrase is a mystery to me
      =>  'as a small cloth to hang to honour Brigid, down to being a small clutie offering on a tree beside a well.'

Rework to keep the sentences short and simple - one idea only. The problem mainly appears to be poor expression in the first three sentences.

WoodlandBardposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Many thanks, very helpful and useful tips, janderson99 :-)

2. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

This could become a very interesting article. I'm glad you refrained from making it religious and slanted it more towards the folklore and spiritual aspect of Brigid.

However, before it has a chance of being featured, I would take care of the following points:

1. Spelling errors [romaing= roaming, locel = local,  windowboxes= 2 words: window boxes etc - check spelling.]

2. Style too personal - too many "we's" and "I's". For example, instead of:
    "The trinity of the Brigid being and the four directions of the Brigid Cross I personally hold as powerful symbols."

[the reader already knows that you are interested in the subject matter or your wouldn't be writing about it, right?]
    Simply write:
    "The trinity of the Brigid being and the four directions of the Brigid Cross are powerful symbols."

3. I would not put an ad so far up. You want people to read the article before leaving the page by clicking on an ad. Just put one ad at the bottom.

4. Have a catching high quality full-width picture at the top, or just below the first paragraph. Full-width pics look best on mobile devices. Then, when the article gets featured, you can pin that picture on Pinterest with a link back, and gain traffic from it.

5. What is  Céis Corran?

6. “The water cut  deep to touch the other world where the Cailleach, The Morrigu, The Morrigan, The Mór na Coire Cíuin, was sleeping. [no caps on “the” after a comma. And, who are these characters anyway? Or is it one person, because you write "was" sleeping. Plural would be "were sleeping". Make yourself clear, the reader is curious, wants to understand.]

7. Organize the content into specific closely related chunks of text, each with a heading. For example,

Who was St Brigid?

History of Brigid's Cloak [research dates, names, places]

The Brigid Being

The Brigid Cross - Symbol [?]

Brigid's Day - 1st February

Interpretation... "All life on earth needs a cloak..."

Stories - write each story within its own text capsule and Title of Story as capsule heading.

Philosophy of Brigid's Cloak - [you are going to have to re-work this entire following section:]
    "[There are 4 seasons, 4 quadrants of a astrology in a birth chart, and  4 stages or octaves of life.
    [what are those 4 stages / octaves? octave is to do with the number 8, so I'm getting mighty confused here.]

"Three of those cause us to call upon Brigid's Cloak, a Trinity. [Why? You also say that the cloak has four corners - the reader is trying to make some sense out of your content.]

“As individuals, after we are born, we discover what and how we are, how to move parts of our body, mind and spirit, and how to co-ordinate them together.
    [move our mind & spirit? Do you mean:]
    “As individuals, after birth, we discover what and who we are, how to move parts of our body, and how to co-ordinate body, mind and spirit.” [The word co-ordinate already implies togetherness].

"We go onto learning and developing our crafts, more than our "smithcraft" but the handling of tools, and materials and how we share and interact with people while doing this. We discover how we are as a team member in a family, with friends and in some of our tasks. I find it is interesting how unions are symbolized with some thing of special metal, maybe whether it is a ring, a sword, or a dowry of coins."

[Again, the reader doesn't care if you find it interesting. You have to make it interesting for the reader. You are not going to make it more interesting by saying that you find it interesting. If you didn't find it interesting, you would not be writing about it. So saying that you find it interesting is completely useless and irrelevant. Waste of space - Capice?]

Same paragraph edited:
    “We go onto learning and developing a craft by handling tools, and materials, sharing and interacting with people as a team member in a family, or with friends and colleagues. Unions may be symbolized by some object made of a special metal, perhaps a ring, a sword, or a dowry of coins."

[What has metal to do with Brigid’s Cloak? can you relate this to Brigid’s Cloak? Perhaps by putting it under the Brigid Cross paragraph and saying that the cloth mentioned in the article is such a symbol?]

8. Can you find a few more illustrations to brake up the text?

9. Is there a nice video on YouTube you could insert?

10. Ad a little poll capsule maybe near the end : "Had you ever heard of St. Brigid’s Cloak?"
      a.) No,  I had never heard of Brigid's Cloak
      b.) Yes I have heard about Brigid's Cloak but not in such great detail
      c.) Yes I knew all about Brigid's Cloak

Or invent your own poll heading and questions. A poll is useful to gain reader interaction and find out how much interest there is for an article.

11. Write a better conclusion, summing up the essence of the article.

I have only touched the tip of the iceberg. If you follow the above tips and have your article checked by a literate native English speaker for grammar and spelling before re-submitting, I am pretty sure it will be featured and have a good chance of attracting traffic for its interest.

Good luck.

WoodlandBardposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Sue, you are so kind and generous to give such a detailed and generous review. A lot of very useful tips to ponder and go over. This is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much.

A lot to do, so a good re-working for Brighid's Day next year.
      Some of the explanations just need a link to other articles I have written rather than repeating myself, I would think.

Even so, I am exceptionally grateful for your help. :-)

3. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

You are welcome. I hope it works out for you.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice work, Sue!

Good luck with your rewrite WoodlandBard.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)