Changing to "Activity" Tab Problems

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

Let me begin with this: Yes I have read and done all of the 'try this first' steps, e.g., clearing cache, changing browsers, running virus scan, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum that always seem to be the initial go-to answer for any problem reported here.

With that out of the way, I am having a too-frequent (i.e. almost daily) problem accessing the "Activity" tab under "My Account."
    It takes "forever and ever" to load in, whereas there is no such problem with any of the other tabs.

This particular issue is much worse late at night, especially after midnight, when it usually results in a message of "This page cannot be displayed."

It happens nearly every night, and is very  annoying. And as I said, is not a problem with the other tabs, or going into the forums or any other activity on the site.  (Nor is this slow page-changing an issue on any of the other sites I visit.)

Sometimes, after several tries, it will finally take me to the page; other times, it will not, so I just swear, and sign off for the night.  That is where I am right now.

I hope this can be addressed.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you are having slow load times.

My guess is that you may have an older computer as you are running Windows XP which is no longer supported by Microsoft. Older machines are likely to have limited RAM and CPU resources.

I would check to see if you are maxing out your RAM or CPU.
      It could also be an issue with your ISP.

You may want to consider using an alternative browser like Opera as it offers a low-bandwidth option that can improve page load times on machines with slow connections.
      http://www.opera.com/turbo

DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am running XP, which I cannot afford to replace, so that is that.  HOWever, it does not explain why this is not an issue on any other site I visit, or why it happens only very late at  night.

Our ISP gives us a high bandwidth, so that is not the problem, either.  We don't have a slow connection.

Interestingly, I find it funny that although Microsoft claims to be no longer supporting XP, at least 2 or 3 times a week, upon shutting down my computer, I am still getting the "updates are being installed" delay.....

But--the machine itself is NOT all that old.  I am running XP because it is my preference.  The machine, when new, came with that awful "Vista" pre-installed.  I did not even bring it home before taking it to the service desk and having them UNINSTALL that OS, and installing MY copy of XP Pro!

I would hope there is some other explanation than the continual tendency to throw it back on a supposed fault with my computer!!   Again, this is not a problem on other sites--(or even with any of the other tabs!!) It only happens here on HP!

2. Thomas Swan profile image95
    Thomas Swanposted 9 years ago

This might be similar to my problem with timeouts on the stats (my account) page: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128131

I don't know of a solution.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

Lizzy, the reason why the "account > activity" page is having load problems is because it includes ALL the activity you ever had since you began on HubPages. A list of all the hubs you ever left comments in will be downloaded. If you don't have enough resources to handle all that data, then you will run into trouble with that page. This is what Matt was eluding to.

You would have the same trouble on any site if it were to download such an enormous amount of data on a single page.

I assume most people don't use that page. If they did I am sure staff would hear others reporting the same issues as you had.

What really should be done is to load only a resonable number of lines, with a continue option at the bottom, like HubPages does on the page where you can view your list of followers. But that would require extra programming and it's just not worth it for HubPages to do that right now. They are busy with more important issues.

So you see, it's not your fault. Yes, Windows XP has limitations, but that activity page has a tendency to reach those limitations - especially if you had left hundreds or even thousands of comments over the years (which is understandable).

I see.  Thanks for the clarification, Glen.  Indeed, I did not 'get' that at all from Matt's answer, because he suggested a different browser...which, according to your explanation, would make no difference at all.
      And I do like to go back and see what replies I got, if any, to comments, so yes, I'm on that tab at least three times a week, depending upon how many comments I've made in the last few days.  The social interaction is fun!
      I still find it strange that this seems to be a problem only late at night, though.....
      :: shrug ::

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I check to see replies to my recent comments by clicking the "notifications" tab at the top. That has no trouble loading because it's only the latest instead of thousands from the past five years.

I also have my notification settings set so that I receive an email when people comment after my comment in Hubs I'm following. Then I go and look to see if the author responded or if it was anyone else.

Your page loading problem is probably more prominent at night because your home internet service is limited by a higher usage in your area when people are home and online. Even if you have cable, it's shared broadband. If several neighbors are downloading at the same time you may notice a download delay if your own demands increase, such as with that activity page.

Thanks again, Glen

Ah, yes--I do see in the notifications as well--IF I'm on in a timely enough fashion, before the notices drop off the bottom of the list.

As for setting to get an e-mail when a comment is made--where/how do you do that?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
            Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As long as you check at least once a week you will not miss any notifications. Just click "See all notifications" at the bottom of the pull-down list.

To set your email preferences, go to your profile > edit > email settings
            Here's a quick link:
            https://hubpages.com/my/profile/email

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)