I'd like feedback on my Hub: Living Dead Creatures From Life's Remnants

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. DaphneDL profile image60
    DaphneDLposted 9 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Living Dead Creatures From Life's Remnants.

I am really new to HubPages and am not sure what is either too much or not enough. I always like to provide my source links, and have gotten feedback from a couple of people on other sites, because I didn't share their links in enough places. Are my source links considered "spammy?"

What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Daphne!  Welcome to HubPages!

I read your hub - it's a very interesting topic, and I thought it was nicely written and has good art & images.  My only thought is that it's such a specialized topic it might not get the attention it deserves from search engines, and it's difficult to see what people might search for that would bring them to your hub.

To make it more searchable, maybe you could consider tying in the topic of Dia de los Muertos (using Spanish in one or two places) and "Day of the Dead" in other places.  I know that's not exactly your theme, but it's so closely aligned with it that I think people searching for those terms might spot it. If you discuss that celebration a bit, it will also add more content, which helps in getting attention from Google.

Zombies are another popular topic that might fit with the hub's theme (without turning it into a pop-culture piece on the Zombie trend). 

Best of luck on this site!  So glad to meet you here!

DaphneDLposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're input is really appreciated, Marcy! The first three hubs I did are featured, and this one did not pass the test. I revised it and it's now "Not Featured - Quality." I'm going to see if I can add something about the "Day of the Dead" and submit it again. It's so interesting that you suggested that, because I had shared it on FB, and a friend of mine had said that it reminded her of "Dia de los Muertos." I'm fairly new to writing and definitely new to HubPages so it's all a learning experience. Thanks so much for the feedback!

2. RonElFran profile image95
      RonElFranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Daphne, I'm deliberately posting this without having looked at your hub. I've only seen your title, and I have no idea what it means or what your hub is about. How do you anticipate people finding your hub? What will they type as a Google or Bing search term that will result in them seeing it? Unless you are aiming to reach a group that will immediately understand and be drawn to your title, you may want to rethink it. Hope this helps.

Ron, I was writing about art figurines made from very different materials such as bones. The title really doesn't really reflect that and probably only those curious to discover what I was writing would click on the article to read it. I'm going to try to expand the article and will update the title to include the word art and the artist's name. Thank you so much for your response!!

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are allowed only TWO links to the same domain.  I see you have four links to Sabrina Gruss's Facebook page, so that breaks the rules.  You can get around that by removing the URL in the photo capsules, so it only shows the name.  You already have a link to the source in your "Source Links" box. 

However, do you have permission to use those photos?   The originals have no licence statement so that means they are copyright, which means you need Sabrina's permission to use them in your Hubs.  As you are saying nice things about her work, I'm sure she will be happy to do so, but do make sure first!   The same goes for beautiful.bizarre.

You may not be aware, but copyright law for photos is very simple - most photos are automatically copyright.  If a photo isn't copyright, there will be a statement somewhere telling you so.  If there is no statement at all, it's copyright.   It's not legal to use copyright photos without permission - just adding a credit doesn't make it legal.

Both your Amazon ads are not sufficiently related to the subject of the Hub.  They are about sculpture but not the same type of sculpture that you're talking about. 

I didn't understand the title at all, so I think that is a problem.  If Google doesn't understand your title, it won't send visitors!   

I'm not sure what relevance the links at the end of the Hub have.

Marisa, I wasn't aware that only two links to a domain were all that were allowed. In the past, on other Websites I had one complaint that the link was not provided in enough places. This will definitely help me in the future. As I explained in one of my other replies, I was of the belief that by providing citation in the form of source and links was all I needed to do to show that I was not engaging in plagiarism or copyright infringement. I have now sent a request to the artist for permission to share the sculpture photos. The sculpture this artist creates is very unique so the ads may not be the best fit. The links at the end of the Hub were to provide sculpture instruction resources for someone reading who might be interested in learning to create using this form of art. Thank you for taking the time to help!

4. DaphneDL profile image60

At this time, I feel that this Hub needs considerable work and rethinking, including getting the appropriate permission to use the art photos which I've used here. I am going to "unpublish" it until I can do this. Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me gain a better understanding of all that is involved. I really appreciate it!!

2. savateuse profile image65
    savateuseposted 9 years ago

Hi Daphne,  you may simply have too many links to the creators Facebook page. You don't have to add the URL with every photo - just once should be enough. HP doesn't like multiple links to one domain.
    Hope that helps.

Savateuse, Thank you for letting me know this about the links! I do tend to get a little crazy with photo credit and source links. When creating photo galleries, etc., on other sites, I have always cited my sources for the photos and art. Even with doing that, I once had a complaint that the source did not show in the feed on one Website after the photo/video was shared there, although if you clicked on the link to access it, the appropriate credits were all there. When I was editing this article and checking the links, it did seem a bit redundant to keep going back to the artist's Facebook page. Thank you for sharing this with me! I'm still at the HubPages 101 level.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I would suggest putting the artists name in the title.  And I assume you are using pictures of her and her work with permission?

Psycheskinner, I am definitely going to add the artist's name into the title of this article now when I update it. According to one of the copyright articles I read, linking to a photo with appropriate credit given is okay, but anything more is not. I also always check any and all Websites the owner has to see if there are any notes about copyright and permission. If permission is needed, I then send them a message requesting that. Sabrina's websites did not have anything on them restricting links to her photos. Some of the artist's pages and Websites encourage others to share. I have now sent her a message after reading your comment to make sure. Should I have requested this prior to writing the article or was my research enough? Thank you for your input!!

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unless the photos are in the public domain, or you have permission to use them, you cannot use them.  Copytight for pictures and text is the same in that regard.

I've always listed my sources and provided links for everything be it text or photos which I've used to avoid plagiarism or copyright violations. I am evidently in violation then even with doing that. Thank you for the information!

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

We live and learn.  You might try just asking the artist for permission to use the photos or for her to provide photos you can use.  As you are essentially promoting her work there is a good chance she would allow it.

Yes, life is a learning experience. I have sent her a message both from her Facebook and Website but haven't gotten a response at this time. She doesn't appear to be on social media frequently so it may be some time before I hear from her. As you've said, most everyone I have asked in the past has been happy to allow me to promote their art/photography. Thank you again for helping me with this!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)