More than one account on HP? Why would anyone do this?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (48 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 9 years ago

I've always wondered why some Hubbers have more than one account.  Is this a good thing or not?  The only thing I can think of is that after a person writes many Hubs, it becomes a chore to take care of that one account.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mary,

The most common reason that some Hubbers have more than one account is that they frequently write on several different niche topics and want a separate account which specializes in each niche. But there are lots of good reasons why Hubbers may want multiple accounts. smile

mary615posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Christy.  I do not have have one particular niche.  I am wondering why you say there are "lots of good reasons".  Could you expand on that just a little bit for me?

1. paradigm search profile image53
          paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can think of an overwhelmingly good reason... But I'm not going there today.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image90
          Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As flycatcher mentions, people who transferred here from Squidoo (but already had a HubPages account) will automatically have 2 accounts. Good reasons also include (but are not limited to) the desire to experiment with different formats or writing styles in separate accounts to see if one performs better, the desire to separate one's informative writing from creative writing, or the desire to write under a new pen name without having to delete or move all previous Hubs.

Thanks. I think I have  it now!

2. MariaMontgomery profile image89
            MariaMontgomeryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would like to have a 2nd account where I would use a pen name, but under my bio photo, HP shows my full name. If it will do that, what's the point of using a pseudonym? I write using my real name anyway, but would like to have the name in parentheses removed. Is there a way I can do that?

1. bBerean profile image60
              bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello Maria.  There is a thread about that:  http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2711570

2. Leptirela profile image74
        Leptirelaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It makes sense now. I started off with poetry and a little prose, but the other day I got inspired by a (rather negative) individual to write a hub on Religion which is totally out of my regular writing.
        I also think if I start another Hub profile then I can write all random hubs such as recipes, how to, etc etc. But then there are categories that each written hub falls under so that option is also there without having to start a new Hub profile hmm.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know of some who have more than one account.  I guess you can earn more money that way, but you must be sure to never comment on your own hubs of the other account.  I think mainly it is to write on a totally different genre.  One account may just be for spiritual hubs or testimony and other may be totally recipes or How to do hubs.  I have seen other accounts where people do not use their true photo or just a flower, but then on another account show their true photo on their profile.  If one account deals with a lot of controversial topics, and they may not want to show their true photo.  I am just assuming all of these reasons, as I only one account and have enough trouble keeping up with it LOL.

Hi Faith.   I just can't imagine me trying to take care of multiple accounts!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually managing multiple accounts can be easier than managing one, if you have a lot of Hubs.   

Once an account gets over 200 or so Hubs, it begins to get difficult to keep track of editing and updating.

Marisa, that makes sense.  I only have 100 Hubs, and it is difficult for me to manage those.

1. Huntgoddess profile image66
              Huntgoddessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't even have a hundred yet.

Maybe I'll get there someday, and then I'll know . . . ? I hope so.

:-)

2. bBerean profile image60

+1.  I am considering this myself.  I joined years ago with the intent of writing on science, religion, politics and some social issues.  Responsibilities have not afforded me the time to do that, but I have dropped in periodically to the forums and commented on a wide range of controversial and frankly divisive subjects. 

Changes in my responsibilities will soon allow me time to write, but I am strongly considering doing a large part of that writing on other, unrelated matters.  Having established this account around certain topics, and having been active in the forums I am concerned folks who could benefit from my experience and knowledge may not avail themselves of it due to prejudice. 

Someone who differs with my expressed ideologies, recognizing my name or avatar may be inclined not to invest their time even though those differences would be irrelevant.  Another account focusing specifically on the subject matter I intend to address with it may therefore be prudent.  I would love to hear some thoughts on this.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83

Good points there, bBerean.  Wishing you the best if you do undertake another account here.  Why does your hubber score say 173 there on your profile pic?

Hubber scores have long been a source of animus voiced in the forums.  Adding a "1" to my score is my commentary and way of making light of it.

1. colorfulone profile image78
              colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is pretty funny actually. ha!

2. Huntgoddess profile image66

How is that possible?

Yes, it IS funny, colorfulone, but I'm just wondering about the tech part?

2. mary615 profile image82

Faith, Glad you asked why the score was 173!!  Wow!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You should remember that your main readers are diverse, come from all over the world and mostly from Google....not HP.  The forums are not visible by anybody other than hubbers.  So, if people do not like your attitudes here, it really has very little impact on your overall success.  The world is a big place and I'm sure there are many who would appreciate your views, no matter what they are!  On the other hand, if you have emotionally charged topics, you might want to keep them separate from your other hubs.

I appreciate that, and did consider it.  I am just thinking that even those readers, if they like what they see will search for other things by me and run across something they feel strongly against.  I don't want that to keep them from reading more in the original vein.  Folks feel very strongly about many of the issues I have addressed in the forums.  I also don't want that creeping into the comments on hubs.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

The forums are, in fact, visible to all - but if someone is not logged in, they are not at all obvious and chances are they wouldn't find them.

3. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for asking Mary. I now have a strategy for tomorrow with a purposeful meaning from the many contributors.

4. csmiravite-blogs profile image75
      csmiravite-blogsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is only PDS whom I know that has two accounts. The reason is about commissions that he no longer wants to share with another hubber(???). I don't know if that's the gist of it or if its another issue altogether. For me, it is hard to maintain more than one account. The hubs are longer (more than a thousand words) and I try to keep writing in only two to three niches. All the others, are dumped in my own  blogsites.

2. flycatcherrr profile image67
    flycatcherrrposted 9 years ago

Also, anyone who had an existing HP account and also wrote on Squidoo was forced to open a new account to receive the transferred Squidoo lenses at the time of the sell-out, or had a new account created for them if the transfer was automatic rather than intentional - either way, the result was the same: multiple accounts for former Squids..

3. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 9 years ago

I opened a second account as an experimental account. Now, that second account, which has a third as many hubs, outperforms my primary account.

1. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is interesting!

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 9 years ago

Don't put all your eggs in one basket is my philosophy.

5. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

Personally, I have two accounts on Hubpages because transfered my Squidoo contents over to Hubpages.

6. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 9 years ago

I have several niche topics but have been writing under just one name now for 6 years.  I am wondering whether existing hubs could simply be moved to another account or would that be considered duplicate content?  Would be interesting to have travel hubs separate from food hubs or art hubs as an example.

That would be great, Peggy, if you could do that!  I'm not sure how you would go about it, though.  I read a little in the Learning Center today about having more than one account, but the whole process is a little cloudy for me.

7. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

I would love to have my accounts all in one. I have 3 accounts here and one that I help another lady with. It is crazy. When Squidoo transferred over our articles they would not combine these accounts with our already existing Hub account so many of us have wound up with more than one account. It means that we have to wait for each account to reach its payout individually as well.

One account is in my pen name, another in my real name, last one I had to redesign a new pen name because we were not able to combine existing accounts

Oh, my, I don't think my little brain could handle 3 accounts!

8. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

In the wake of the merger with Squidoo, I now have four HubPages accounts. 

Suffice to say, I'm just going to remove a lot of the content and take it elsewhere because four accounts is beyond annoying and for admin to make no provisions for such unnecessary complications (they should have let us move all our Squidoo accounts into one new HubPages account) shows how unwieldy this site is now.

1. flycatcherrr profile image67
      flycatcherrrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Lady Lorelei profile image85
      Lady Loreleiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That would have been so very nice.

9. ForLoveofCupcakes profile image79
    ForLoveofCupcakesposted 9 years ago

Oh my gosh I can't imagine having more than one!  I have a hard enough time keeping up with this only one I have.  I'm also slightly obsessed (in a bad way) with my hub score.  It makes me really panicky so having to keep up more than one seems like a disaster!  Haha!  Maybe some day.

I'm with you!

10. Helena Ricketts profile image92
    Helena Rickettsposted 9 years ago

I have a second account because I decided to write about a few things I didn't want my mom to see and she follows my work on my main account.  smile

1. Faith Reaper profile image83

That is a good reason!

11. guitartechniques profile image61
    guitartechniquesposted 9 years ago

I've actually just started a second account to publish some niche content on one particular subject which I'm not really known for on my main account. I was going to try a different site instead but I think it would do better here on Hubpages.

12. Venkatachari M profile image86
    Venkatachari Mposted 9 years ago

It may be good if you want to identify the hubs on a different niche subject that you are more skilled and perfect. Otherwise, you can keep and categorise all hubs within a single account, in my opinion.

13. Virginia Allain profile image87
    Virginia Allainposted 9 years ago

When the Squidoo writers were imported, they were assigned a new account, even if they already had a Hubpages account.

I have a niche account with my Christmas topics in it, which I ignore for most of the year. My main account gets my attention without being cluttered with holiday hubs.

I like that idea. I'm not sure how it works, though?

Just start it up the same way I started the first account?

I really like the idea of keeping the Christmas Hubs separated. I don't even know why. It just makes them special. Even more so.

14. ThatMommyBlogger profile image88
    ThatMommyBloggerposted 8 years ago

I have 3 accounts.  One is at least 5 years old and doesn't really reflect where I'm at in my life now, although it earns more than my other 2 accounts combined.  The second one came from Squidoo when the sites merged.  The third one is the one I'm on now. 

This is my favorite account, even though I only have 3 hubs posted at the minute.  I only write about things that I am passionate about on ThatMommyBlogger, so that's why this account is so special to me.

15. belleart profile image82
    belleartposted 8 years ago

I have actually only recently opened a second account with hubpages, My original account is so varied with personal hubs, study hubs, reviews, bunnies recipes....so its quite random and coves lots of areas.  But I write often and link this account in job applications and the like, but I thought it would be better to have one account for personal hubs and a second as a kind of study guide, with hubs that are more academic and extensively researched, therefor much better on my CV. 
    My second account is doing great, I'm slowly building it up and I haven't managed to let this account slow down either.  Its all abut splitting the time, dedicating a certain amount to each account.

Huntgoddessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info and ideas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)