Beer or Coke

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (65 posts)
  1. anujagarwal profile image59
    anujagarwalposted 14 years ago

Which is less harmful -
    A glass of Beer or A glass of Soft-drink (Coke, Pepsi)

1. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Soft Drink?  Let us know the answer towards the end of the thread.

2. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, no one's been pulled over for Driving under the Influence of pop.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is an excellent point.
        I won't drink and drive. I also won't drink coke or pepsi.

3. andromida profile image55
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think a glass of both would not be so bad.

2. simplyjo profile image56
    simplyjoposted 14 years ago

Sorry to sound like a dull bore but i'd go for a glass of coke.. I quit drinking after a terrible incident last year.

anujagarwalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it seems you enjoyed drinking before that breath-taking incident...

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I don't think that either are harmful in moderation. Its when you start drinking 6 pints of beer a day, or 2 litres of coke a day, that you need to start worrying about your health.

Does it mean 2 pints of beer or 600 ml of coke does not harm our body.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that having a couple of pints is going to do much harm to your body to be honest with you. In fact, to the contrary, certain alcohol's can be beneficial when consumed in moderation. For example, a small glass of red wine each day is supposed to be good for your heart.

I don't really drink much now, but as a teenager I would go out and get paralytic two or three times a week. If I was still doing that now (5/6 years later) then I would probably be worried about the state of my liver.... other than that, it does not worry me in the slightest.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

like this glass size ryan lol

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:k7qtrDI8sYC8qM:http://www.vat19.com/webimages/5-for-1-beer-glass/large-beer-glass-holds-giant-beers.jpg

2. anujagarwal profile image59

That is right ryankett, those days were good/funny when you do not really worry for health much, but now we got some responsibilities and started looking at our health smile

4. wesleycox profile image71
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

Coke

5. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

i believe neither, it is only how much thought you put in to it would make it harmful.

well that is good one... do not think just drink and be happy smile

6. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

Well neither is good in excess of course. But I drink plenty of both and I'm still alive wink

good to know Janetta smile

7. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Coke
    Its the real thing lol

Probably both bad as either one screws up ya liver.

Actually that makes me think , wonder if our livers were healthier( say 50/60 yrs ago) before carbonated drinks or less sugar period.

8. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I like an occasional coke.  I'm not fond of beer.

occasional coke!
      You must be health conscious and having a good health Jane...

9. cynthiaalise profile image61
    cynthiaaliseposted 14 years ago

Actually, I think that ironically, a can of coke is worse than a can of beer.  The Coke has a not of unnatural acidic ingredients that can tear at your system. 

Beer are usually more natural.  This is good as long as you are only having one of them.

10. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Neither of them offers any nutrition, and too much of either isn't great; but I'd have to say Coke is less harmful, based on the fact that drinking too much Coke doesn't generally lead to vomiting and/or being drunk and/or alcohol poisoning and/or Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.  I'm not saying Coke is good or doesn't cause potentially serious problems.  I just think, ounce-for-ounce, beer is worse.

11. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I can't stand the taste of beer but drink lots of pepsi!

12. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Neither. Both are really hard on the liver. They offer no nutritional value. Beer is empty calories and lots of carbs! Soda is lots of sugar. Especially stay away from diet sodas which contain artificial sweeteners that are known carcinogens.

13. Ambition profile image60
    Ambitionposted 14 years ago

sorry kristie believe it or not but pepsi is harmful than a beer.

i will prefer beer if i can maintain a good healthy diet.

1. profile image49
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Red wine is way better for yer health smile

1. Colebabie profile image61
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Captain, some guy keeps calling me "sweetheart" and "darling" over in the religion forum. Can you make him walk the plank please?

1. profile image49

Post me the link smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen.

1. profile image49

smile

3. profile image0
        Imthisgirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mmm wine...can you see me drooling??

14. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

oh well, Ill stick to the pepsi anyhow..

15. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 14 years ago

I am straight edge...so don't drink alcohol. But really I don't drink any sort of soft drinks as well...too much sugar and being that I am already to the gills in the hyperactivity department...no need to add fuel to fire.

Diet drinks...yeccchhh....heartburn

Water or coffee...occasionally a Monster Lo-Carb when sleep has not graced my presence and I need the kick in the arse.

BTW...that dude is creepy Colebabie...yikes!

16. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I don't drink beer but I think it is healthier than soft drinks.

17. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Neither is good for you.

What's interesting is that people are automatically assuming that the alcohol is worse than the corn syrup (bad, empty calories) and the carbonation (leeches minerals).

But really the problem is that you've thrown out a general type of beverage vs a specific name brand soft drink.  I know lots of microbrews that would literally be healthier than a Coke brand soft drink.

18. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

I will tell you something for a fact, Pepsi Max is so full of caffeine it gave me heart palputations wheras a full bottle of red wine just gave me a good nights sleep, oh and red teeth but I found it washes out ok in the morning.

19. E. A. Wright profile image73
    E. A. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Go for water.

1. profile image49

I do 5 nights, 2 nights I like to chill !

20. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Pepsi (and other soft drinks)has high fructose corn syrup,caffiene, sugar, colorings, phosphoric acid, caffeine, citric acid and 'natural' flavors. 

Beer is a food made from natural ingredienets: hops, yeast, barley and malt. It is a good source magnesium, potassium, and niacin. Also has some protein calcium and other vitamins and Minerals. Studies have shown that Moderate (1 or 2 glasses a day) can reduce blood clots, lower rates of heart disease, improve mental function and bone density-- it might help reduce triglycerides and 'bad' cholesteral.

As per this post, beer seems to be very less harmful as comparison to soft-drinks. But yeah, red wine would definitely be least harmful.
      As many said beer will make you drunk, question is only for a 'single glass' of either (beer or coke). smile

1. Colebabie profile image61
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry but beer doesn't have any amounts of vitamins or minerals to affect a person's diet. Some beers have minimal amounts of protein. But its Carbs Carbs Carbs and a little sodium. Maybe homemade or organic beer may be more nutritional, but not the stuff ya get in a bar.
        As detailed in an article by Nanci Grayson, RD, alcohol consumption directly impacts nutrition. “The process of metabolizing alcohol requires nutrients. As the liver decreases its supply of these nutrients, the blood stream is called upon to replenish the supply. As a result, body cells are deprived of critical nutrients and normal body functions suffer.”
        http://www.bacchusgamma.org/alcohol-nutrition.asp

21. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

No Beer, No alcohol.
    No coke, no Pepsi.
    Drink milk and fresh juice.
    Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

22. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

A beer has malt in it I am sure, so I will vote for the beer smile

23. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Beer is less harmful, coke has more sugar but by far, drink water and wine, it's the best smile

24. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

Any one for milk or fruit juice/
    Jyoti Kothari

Both are good. . . and water.

25. BODYandSOUL profile image61
    BODYandSOULposted 14 years ago

I'll go for coke, although I seldom drink softdrink as well! I'm a juice lover! smile

26. spidergirl364 profile image59
    spidergirl364posted 14 years ago

Both are very very bad for you...I mean not good at all, but beer is worse by a longshot.  You wont get a hangover from a soda.

27. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I thought I would add to this post. Beer or Coke?
    Both can do harm actually in excess.
    But I will share something about soft drinks from experience.

I am an electrician. There are jobs I have been on that the walls of a building are Block. We electrician have to install metal conduits (pipe) into the block walls so we can get wires down them for outlets.
    Sometimes while the walls are being constructed and we have to piece these pipes together as the wall gets taller...the "morter" that goes between the blocks to seal them together...will accidently (hum, hum) get into the pipes and dry by the time I need to get wiring down them.

How do I clear out the conduits/pipes? 

I take a can of Coke/Pepsi or another brand and pour it down the conduit/pipe. Wait just a few minutes, sometimes longer....and out flows the "dissolved morter!"

Think about what coke is like in our stomachs.

And btw...I do still drink coke products, just not like I use to.

28. SparklingJewel profile image68
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

check out my hub "Soda Pop is Unhealthy" for some latest research facts and figures.

I haven't researched beer, so can't compare.

29. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Can't decide...question too difficult...head hurts!...http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/LisaMznutz/Smilies/BlowUpSmilie.gif

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would you like a Red Bull Wayne then you will have energy to decide. smile

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/KimCandy2/Funny/35030gh.gif

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha that looks like my gran!! yep red bull would be nice!!

1. blondepoet profile image68
          blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/KimCandy2/Funny/LOLdog.gif

30. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

beer for today, coke for tomorrow after too many beers

31. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/2628475732_e016bf53e6.jpg?v=0

Why choose?

32. vanzant730 profile image64
    vanzant730posted 14 years ago

Most defiantly Coke. It cleans the tartar off of your teeth.

. . .  and the enamel.

33. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

Dr. Pepper over either!

34. caulfli profile image56
    caulfliposted 14 years ago

Coke has a ph level of 2.4 (acidic) it will dissolve a tooth, next time your child loses a tooth leave it in a glass of Coke overnight.

Coke is great for cleaning your car battery, but not for drinking.

Coke funded a Million dollar reasearch effort and as luck would have it the American Dental Association (ADA) found that it was not harmful to the teeth.

Soft drinks also leach calcium from the bones and degrade the gums. 

If you're addicted and can't set it down, use a straw at least you'll save the front of your mouth.

Something in Coke changes the chemistry of the brain much like other addictive drugs, which is why like smoking and other ugly habits you want a Coke when you're stressed, bored, etc.

Why else would we become enslaved to such a substance?

As for beer, if you can do it without getting drunk and without causing someone else to get off the sober ranch - Cheers to you!

35. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Crown Royal (Limited Edition) Alcohol

36. drummer boy profile image61
    drummer boyposted 14 years ago

Not sure which would be more harmful.  I guess it would depend on who we were talking about.  If you are a recovering alcoholic and sober I would say the beer is more harmful.  The next question is harmful to who?  I have never seen anyone hit someone over a Pepsi but have over a beer.

37. marshallengines profile image61
    marshallenginesposted 14 years ago

Both are harmful.......

38. Premiertimesol profile image59
    Premiertimesolposted 14 years ago

Both Coke and Beer are not good to our health.........

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)