I swear I'm not dumb. And I know all the rules.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

So why can't I pass myself off even as a decent chess player?
    I'm having my butt handed to me on Pogo tonight. Good lord, I suck.

I've tried careful strategy, wily false moves, and panicked fleeing.  I have yet to even put somebody in check tonight.

Help me out guys! grrr. I have a major chess-block and I am completely jealous of the people who can play this game. Are there any general tips you can give me? I am obviously way over-thinking. I wish there was a "switch to checkers" mode. tongue

1. Ohma profile image61
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have found that the best way to play chess is to not worry so much about my moves but to look for even the smallest mistakes on the side of my opponent. people tend to get careless when they think you don't know what you are doing.

2. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My son beats me. I try to give him a good game. I almost beat my brother once. I would suggest playing the game against your computer (which will always win) Write down the strategy the pc uses, and then try pogo.

There are books written about the greatest games ever played. Maybe get one at the library. Once you move, then they decide their move, based on your first move.

Real players memorize whole games... It's insane to me, as I have no strategy at all. Just keeping myself alive until i can make the kill on the queen.

2. profile image0
    LegendaryHeroposted 14 years ago

I play chess A LOT, but the only real advice I can give to you is to always make sure that your pieces are protected with every move you make. You want to your opponent to always have to lose a piece to take one of yours. Also before you make a move look to see the possible response from your opponent pieces for the move.

wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I keep leaving the back door wide open tonight - and believe it or not it's getting me with the same bishop over and over.
      I will try this right now. Pretend it's checkers, force them to take my pieces...
      keep myself protected...

off I go lol

3. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

do you guys have a pogo account? come over & play! smile
    This week you only need to capture certain pieces to win the challenge, you don't actually have to checkmate somebody. phew

Yeah, I'm playing bots right now. I'm too embarrassed at my lack-o-skill to play with people tonight.

It's crazy 'cuz I have been able to checkmate this robot a few times. Tonight though it's got me beat on 15 - 20 moves. This is worse than Algebra. To top it off, the letter K just popped off my keyboard and I don't have any glue.
    yuck.

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No glue on the keyboard! It just goes back in, it's a pain, but just don't lose the k... K? smile

Yeah, this board is probably 10 years old. It's one of those ergonomic boards with the split down the middle. I love it to death, and it is on it's way to death. lol
        The keys don't clip in - when they break, they snap right off. My delete key flung itself across the room once...
        I'll have to grab some superglue tomorrow.

2. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've never heard of Pogo. Can you play regular chess games against other humans on it? Currently I just play against bots on my computer chess, though I prefer to play against humans because they (unlike those cursed chess bots!) actually make mistakes and are easily manipulated.

Absolutely! Pogo has dozens of games...
        Chess has 6 skill levels from "social" to "beginner" to "master" (that's not me obviously)

If you play against human players, you can play a Rated Game. Your rating will increase when you win and decrease when you lose. It's proportional to the level you play. It's real cool.

I switch between people and bots if I get frustrated. lol.

Pogo.com - it's a free play site. There are premium games, but I'm pretty sure that Chess is on the free list.
        <edit> Yes, chess is free on Pogo. Much fun.

4. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I have not played at Pogo in many years and cannot tonigt but perhaps another time. Do you by chance play scrabble as well? there is a game that I truly love.

I play Scrabble when there is a weekly contest in it. I'm hooked on Boggle right now.

Anyway: my name is QGJ01 over there, track me down smile

5. Anthea Carson profile image61
    Anthea Carsonposted 13 years ago

Chess just takes learning and practice. http://hubpages.com/hub/Common-Chess-Mistakes

6. Bill Manning profile image66
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I play chess a lot against the computer. I find that you need to make a plan, then keep trying to use that one plan no matter what.

I do know two ways to win in just 4 moves, but only if the other player does not move some pieces.

Another trick is moving a piece so that it makes a check, forcing the other player to move the king, leaving a piece exposed so you can capture it. smile

7. Phil Perez profile image60
    Phil Perezposted 9 years ago

The goal is center control. Maintaining an consistency with developing your pieces and providing King safety. Making a move is easy, understanding why is the difficult part. I am an avid chess player and although I'm not great, I have a slight understanding of chess. I play on Chess Titans on my computer against the Bot. 10 is the most difficult and I play on that and I've been beating it recently. Chess is really just analyzing your position and not allowing your opponent to come across to your side of the board and threaten your King. You definitely want to know how to analyze what your opponent will do and why when you move. That is essential when playing chess. It's also not about offense or defense, it's about patience, JUST LIKE CHECKERS ! Make your opponent "run out" of useful tactical moves and they won't understand what to do next ensuring your victory !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)