EC labels on hubs.. is it REALLY worth it??

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Aneegma profile image71
    Aneegmaposted 9 years ago

I'm just following up on this discussion:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/129147

For the last two weeks I have read and monitored a lot of hubs (about 150 hubs) that have been labelled "Editor's Choice." Based on the ones that I read, about 90% of them I would NEVER read and the only reason I read them was purely for that label and also to see if I can get tips to improve my hubs and maybe get myself that prestigious label.

I've also seen several discussions of people that have that label complaining that their traffic has gone to the bin. So again I ask myself... "do these editor's wake up every morning and have a meeting of how to destroy hubs today?" Because quiet frankly I think this EC thing sucks. Take for example with the case of the discussion I mentioned above.

Her hub was positioned next to several hubs that had that label and I read all of the hubs and her hub was the best one and yet didn't have that EC title. So naturally a non hubber or a visitor passing by will not know that and they will opt to read the ones with labels because they look "cooler"

So now it seems to me that getting that label means "your hub is about to die a painful traffic-less death"

So for those of you that have EC labels, can you shed some light on here and tell us if your traffic improved or plummeted? I want to prepare myself in case I ever get that email that says "your hub has been selected" (which I highly doubt anyway).

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My EC Hubs experience increased traffic over the non-EC Hubs most of the time. I still update them as needed, though - new pictures, that sort of thing.

2. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All of my EC Hubs appear to be doing far better than the non EC ones at the moment.
      If  I received the monthly cash payout I would definitely feel it was worth opting in.
      My chances might be better than my winning the lottery:)

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

The last staff report was that for any given hub being made EC versus being opted out did not effect traffic or earnings

You may see a difference between those selected for EC and those not selected, but that is about the kind of hub they are, not EC adding any value to the hub

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps more interesting to note is  that EC  Hubs cover a very wide range of scores,  One would expect them to score higher than the average hub but this is not always the case.  Scores don't relate to views either apparently.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It will be interesting to see if that changes with the inclusion of the labels in the "related hubs" section.  If it doesn't, the furor over those labels is misplaced.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's not misplaced. It's justified by the mere intention.

1. wilderness profile image96

The intention of the labels is apparently to reward those that put the effort into writing better hubs.  And that justifies the outcry over them?

If that's the sole intention, then I rather regret the fact that none of HubPages' staff are creative enough to come up with a better idea.

Besides, those hubs are not necessarily 'better hubs'. In particularly because not all hubbers have opted into the program.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
              galleryofgraceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

EC hubs are not better hubs but don't tell the thieves that. The main reason traffic stops on hubs that get tagged EC is because it's been copied somewhere in the nether world.

2. wilderness profile image96

Personally, I find the EC hubs to be better on the average.  There are lots of exceptions, both ways, but on the average they are much better than the average non-EC hub.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
            Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness - I have dozens of hubs labeled EC - and I am known for good content and good writing. I opted out recently for various reasons.  Does that mean the hubs I wrote now have a lower quality than before? Does that mean they should be penalized because I opted out?

By the way - most were written prior to the "EC" effort & HP converted them to their own domain name when they created the program. My traffic went down, but I was trapped due to the AP program.

The reward for good writing should be for it to stand on its own merits, and not appear next to something that more or less says, "The editors picked this one!  Read it now!"

+1

3. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Personally, when EC first came out, I read many of them. So, based on my reaction, EC matters because they get read by people looking for quality. Some of the EC hubs were awesome but some were very average. Calling them stellar will only disappoint readers and will not improve the image of HP. Several had spelling mistakes and one in particular, was paraphrased from a book read and having corrected many student papers, I can easily spot this.

HP has to raise the standards of what is stellar and clearly define these for the hubbers so they can aspire to that when they write.

4. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I have three EC hubs, but all are over 18 months old. I feel they are all quite good quality and they have varying scores and traffic, though are far from being my highest traffic hubs (one actually has almost the lowest traffic of all my hubs). I don't seem to be able to meet the criteria any more for my recent hubs to be considered for EC. There seems to be pros and cons as to whether having the EC banner is beneficial.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)