Oklahoma Frat Obscenity OMG!

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 9 years ago

I am a forgiving kinda guy. I usually wait for a few facts to emerge before jumping on any "condemnation" bandwagon, but... the video was enough for me.

Oklahoma University you have a problem!

This frat obscenity is so anti-American that the fact that it could happen among your students says more about you than your apologies and condemnations can cover-up!

My daughter is of their age, and she was even more disgusted than I was. That frat represents your attitudes. Damn near turned me into a "hands-up" supporter.

Oklahoma you do not represent my America!

GA

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This has been an underlying problem for a few years. What was said or sung speaks volumes to where race relations are going. I don't know if it was mob mentality that created this atmosphere but participation by those involved shows a lack of character if they disagreed with the action.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
        GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ha! "...lack of character..." what an understatement that is.

My problem includes the University too. A fraternal mentality like that is not something that suddenly appears out-of-the-blue.

Ga

It's all over the place. Many don't come right out and say it but it is either implied or easily understood. I don't know if I would put it on the University as the culprit but gravitating people with those proclivities is hard to pinpoint with such a large student body.

2. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oklahoma University is trying to expel the students, and they must already move out of the frat house. I think it happened on a bus, and a non frat person videoed it. It is so disgusting and reminds me of the police forces that are against certain racial groups. My granddaughter goes to OU and is so outraged.

3. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, teens are characterized as having poor judgment. In my day, I pledged frats and did some silly things I still have yet to live down. But the 'animal house' stuff never went in the direction of intolerance and racism.
      M
      So is it that behind closed doors and at a myriad of supper tables bigotry is served up with the mashed potatoes? The incident by itself is less significant than what appears to be a perpetuation of the attitudes, which will later be acted upon both consciously and subconsciously by kids that may well carry them into adulthood. So, what were these boys taught by their parents, so as they could treat this issue less than seriously? If this is commonplace, is it any wonder we have students that grow up to be hostile or indifferent toward persons of color. Have the advances in race relations exist on a more superficial level than I would have believed?  From where does the arrogance come to make racial slurs in public and send through social media.

What would the women say if college men trivialized sexual assault in an intimidating way? Would they be allowed to remain on campus? So the Millennial Generation already dabbles in racism, sexism,homophobia, etc. I am disappointed as I thought that this generation would at least have all these old societal issues as a thing of the past, perhaps not?

What is most disappointing is that  "Oklahoma" may represent a larger and deeper swath of America than I thought.

1. Credence2 profile image78

I guess all that I can really ask is that people have the civility  to at least keep these kinds of thoughts to themselves as it appears unlikely that we will rid them from society any time soon.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

It is sad that frat turned so horribly racist, in the past they had black members who had a good experience with them.

1. brakel2 profile image73

I feel like we are going backward with all the evidence of police racism and then this occurrence. I don't like what is happening to our country, and I wish someone could stop it. What would make a fraternity make up such songs and sing them and be so intolerant? It seems like it is a bad group mentality. Think of how it is in your area and form your own judgment of what can be done.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think the appearance of increase has more to do with the increase in people with video-enabled smart phones.  No the bigots can't just deny it ever happened.

2. brakel2 profile image73

Now they are saying the college cannot expel students. as they have the right to free speech. The lawyers are weighing into the issue.

1. Credence2 profile image78

You know, maybe they are right, the boys have the right to free speech and although that speech is heinous, they can say what they want. It may be inappropriate to expel them But the university should be able to disassociate itself with the frat and its OU chapter. As the boys behavior and that of the frat negatively reflects upon the university and its charter as a public institution. Yes, we can do that.

I agree! although vile in appearance and not a very good thing to associate yourself with maybe these outed racists will see what their actions will bring them. While maybe there is a chance they may be allowed to continue they may reap the rewards for their actions by being shunned by those who abhor what they have done. Many a man has been tamed by the tongue in far worse situations and maybe this will be the most valuable lesson they may ever learn.

1. brakel2 profile image73

The two young men who have been expelled will probably not try legal means to come back. One family had to move from their North Dallas home and have a business phone disconnected, while protesters linger in front of the house. They had death threats, allegedly. Apparently, the word is that lesser punishment is in order for any other frat members. They had to find other housing to complete the semester if they so desired, and the school said it would not help them with that task. My OU granddaughter thinks they should not punish the entire fraternity, but the fraternity has already done that. There is no good answer to this sad situation.

3. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 9 years ago

Sometimes it feels like there are still two different worlds in this country. It was disgusting and embarrassing, but I guarantee there have been plenty of other cases of this that weren't documented. This does nothing to assure me of a bettering society and it's really sad.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)