I'd like feedback on my Hub: How to apply vinyl monograms.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Mark Faile profile image58
    Mark Faileposted 9 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub How to apply vinyl monograms. (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. colorfulone profile image79
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

1) Do start with an introduction to what a reader can expect to find on your hub.

1) The affiliate link to Monograms Markings site would keep the hub from being featured.

3) The hub is short on word count.

2. Shades-of-truth profile image82
      Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The first thing that came to mind, was that the introductory capsule could tell people a bit about what they are, and why they might wish to use them.

Believe it or not, many people are not familiar with them, or how to effectively use them to accomplish a particular purpose.

2. BrennaSpark profile image64
    BrennaSparkposted 9 years ago

Hey Mark! I reviewed your hub and noticed a few things you could change in your article to help you pass the Quality Assessment Process. In addition to what colorfulone said before, there are a few minor spelling mistakes and the length of your hub can be a problem. The QAP usually looks for hubs with over 600 words and uses an array of tools and devices that interact with the reader throughout the article. The pictures you included are very useful and a video might keep the reader engaged as well. Another thing to consider might be the layout of your article. Leading with a general introduction to your topic and ending with a good conclusion and a few useful tips would improve the quality of your article as well. Don't forget, the Quality Assessment Process features hubs that are detailed and in-depth; it might seem like unnecessary explaining to you, but someone who has never applied vinyl before would greatly benefit from as much explanation as possible. Hope that helped!

Mark Faileposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your help Breanna Spark. I think I will think of this in a completely different way. The truth is ... I was trying to make this as short and simple as possible. The reason for that..... all the other instructions I have seen on the internet are very wordy and confusing. I can make it much more detailed and it will make it much longer, kinda defeating the purpose I started the Hub. Why does it seem to be a problem for me to link back to my website where I have this blogged and also sell vinyl. I dont want to be spammy but I would also like create a little traffic along with helping people. Thank you again. Mark

3. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

Hello Mark. I'm wondering if applying this one sticker is the sum total of your experience on the topic, or if you have wider experience in vinyl application. I had the fun of participating in the application of vinyl car wraps, window graphics etc. some years ago and I can think of many additional hints and tips you could have given in this hub. To be honest, your instruction to 'scrape the entire monogram firmly from top to bottom' is not good advice for anyone applying vinyl any bigger than a hand-sized image.

If you do have experience in vinyl graphics, I suggest you explain the topic in more detail including the difference between applying on glass, vehicles, painted walls etc. ... and the common mistakes that people make. If you don't have personal experience, you should at least try googling to find more information ... then re-write it. Don't copy and paste it because your work must be original.

Good luck.

Mark Faileposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you LongTimeMother for your comment. The truth of the matter is I do have plenty of experience, my wife and I own a monogramming boutique and I work with vinyl monograms and stickers on a daily basis. My goal with this hub was to try to make it as short and simple as possible. If you do google it, you will find that the instructions are actually way too wordy and confusing. I was just trying to solve that issue by being as short with as much picture info as possible.  The crape the entire monogram from top to bottom is good advise while the backing is still on the vinyl. All that is for is to get the air bubbles if any out and to make sure the vinyl is stuck to the application tape. When  actually applying the vinyl, you should use a side to side motion while going down the monogram. Thank you for your comments and I will work on it and maybe go a little deeper into the instruction. Mark

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
        LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mark. You need to make it foolproof - or as close to foolproof as possible. And to be a published as a hub, it will need to be much longer.

Start by telling people what to expect when they open the envelope after ordering a product online. (Whether they buy from you or someone else, this hub should help them so there's a chance it is rolled.) Explain why it is important to make sure the vinyl is firmly attached to the application tape - and what can go wrong if it isn't.

Personally I think they should prepare the 'product' on a flat surface before putting it anywhere near the wall, and start in the middle of the image. There's lots you could write in a capsule titled 'Preparation'.

Explain about Bubbles in a separate capsule. For instance, a bubble causes no harm if it not between the vinyl and application tape. Tell them how to move bubbles away from the important areas (before application.)

Give a better understanding of the issues they'll face when applying it, like losing track of the dot on an i - and what to do if part of an image isn't properly stuck to the application tape when you peel off the backing paper. Explain the importance of starting in the middle (instead of one edge) when swiping 'side to side'. It's not really a side to side action ... because that could cause problems, especially when the backing paper and application tape are close to the edge of the image. (Remember, they might have a large image they want to apply.)

Talk about when it is useful to have two people working together during an application (one swiping, and the other holding the paper and removing it slowly.)

I noticed your photo showed your squeegee, but what about when people don't have one? They can use a credit card ... although you could give them a few tips about that as well, like putting paper over the top of the application tape if there's too much friction - and help them understand they don't actually need to see the image once they've lined it up properly.

Tell them the best angle to use when lifting the application tape after applying the image ... and why. What should they do if they find the vinyl is lifting along with it?

Tell them what to look for after they've applied it, and how to fix any problems they spot. Explain that vinyl 'breathes' (depending on the quality) so any little bubbles may escape in a day or two and just need pressing down with a finger - not to use their credit card directly on exposed vinyl, etc. Tell them how to correctly pop (and flatten) larger bubbles.

And talk about how to 'lift' the vinyl if it accidentally drops too early. There's so much that really does need to be said. If someone has your hub open while they're applying their first vinyl logo, vehicle graphic or whatever, they will expect to have immediate access to the solution to problems.

Trying to juggle a vinyl problem with one hand, while typing in a search engine for a different website with info about how to fix the problem with your other hand, would not be a good look.

I agree that small projects are much simpler than larger ones, but if you are talking about 'small' I think you should make that clear ... and make your hub reach an optimal length by discussing the potential problems with larger projects.

There's so much you could write about. smile

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Things people might want to know:
    What are vinyl decals?
    Where can I get one?
    Why might I want one?
    When should you not use them?
    What should you not do when trying to apply one?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)