Bogus Broken Link Notification

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Swisstoons profile image74
    Swisstoonsposted 9 years ago

About 36 hours ago, I found the Broken Link skull on this hub: http://swisstoons.hubpages.com/hub/general-quiz

Contrary to the message, nothing was highlighted.  I searched every link on the page twice and found no broken links. Nevertheless, I removed the only ebay link I'd posted.  I then clicked the Check For Violations Now button...and got a clean bill of health.  But the skull remains.  What gives?  Anyone else currently experiencing this problem?

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Check this post:  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/129153#post2714063

I had one, too; it was in a photo capsule and was not highlighted.  HP converted my "source" of "wilderness" into a link.

(Scroll down from the link to a little post from Matthew where he describes it better).

Swisstoonsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much.  Am about to click on the link you've provided.  I appreciate your help!

2. Swisstoons profile image74

Well, I've gone back and checked everything again...twice...and again found no broken links anywhere.  But as I was checking, another annoying problem cropped up.  The edit box stuck to my cursor and anytime I tried to move the cursor to "Save" or "Discard Changes," the entire edit box would move.  Frustrating to say the least.  In any event, I just clicked the "Check for violations" button again...and just as it did a couple of days ago, it's telling me there are none.  But the exclamation point remains next to the page title.

The link in the photo of Eisenhower does not work.  Make sure you didn't just type "wikipedia commons" in the "source" box, which is what I did.  And then HP, looking for a link in that box, puts a https// in front if it, but of course it still won't work.

Thanks for checking.  Actually, I checked that Wikipedia link several times in the past couple of days...and each and every time it took me straight to the Wikipedia page.  The last time I checked it was only two or three hours ago and it was fine.    But I just clicked it and, you're right, it is not working NOW. Maybe HubPages can see into the future?  Apparently, HubPages software swapped out the link for that Wiki page with a DESCRIPTION of the page. So, now, I am putting the original HTML back where it belongs.  I'll see if that works.  Thanks again for finding the problem and pointing it out!

The gnomes that occupy the HP servers are strange creatures indeed.  Maybe they CAN see the future! smile

You're more than welcome.

I did type "Wikipedia Commons" into the "Name of the source" box...but I had the correct workable URL in the "Source URL" box until the HubPages software changed it.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
              Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There were not changes made to the content of these source URL boxes, but we did not check this field in the past for valid URLs. So we check them now, but the functionality to highlight so they are easy to find is not working properly. So unlike other broken links, those in the source URL for a photo capsule may not be highlighted in the HubTool nor indicated as broken to readers as are other broken links.

Our engineering team is aware of the issue.
              Thanks for your ongoing patience!

Thanks for responding.  I can tell you that the link in question worked properly everytime I clicked to check it over the past several days even as the broken link icon appeared next to the page in my Stats.  But when I checked about an hour ago, it did not work...for the FIRST time.  So, the source code I had in there originally did the job it was supposed to until very recently when part of that source code was changed to include a partial description of the Wikipedia page.  I did not modify it to include that partial description. Someone, or something, else did. I don't know what else to tell you.  I REinserted the correct URL into the Source Code box and it works properly once again...and the exclamation point on the Stats page has finally disappeared. Thanks again.

As you can see here, I am not the only hubber with this problem. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/129204

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)