And … What’s so good about YOUR job?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image82
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

BIG KUDOS to everyone who has responded thus far! It seems like being able to have flexibility and in a sense "call your own shots" are very positive reasons to love your job and boy, do I agree with you! It's great on a Friday (the 13th for those who cross your fingers) to hear such positive, uplifting responses!

Great job!

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good question 4390
      Been lucky to love my
      artwork for most waking hours of my life, and get paid well for it.

Can't think of anything that is a greater waste of time in anyones life than sending it not likeing or loving your job, work or being of service.

It's the crime of the century.

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, I hear a lot from people who hate their jobs but do them because of the debt they have backed themselves into. It is the best way of shortening your life. Enjoying what you do, and even more so, leaving what you hate to follow your passion takes guts. It's saying I will not be controlled by my circumstances but I will be in control of my circumstances. I know because this is what I did almost three years ago. Yes, it was hard but I did it and I am so glad I did!

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
          Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They did keep me down for a few years there. Then I got back up and went round and round and round.

You know the song.

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image82

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12204828.jpg
    There are a lot of people who really hate getting up in the morning because they have to go to a job that is very stressful, very unfulfilling or very far to commute. We hear from them a lot. Now it’s your turn. Those who really love and appreciate what they do. They rise in the morning, looking forward to another productive day.

Okay, what’s so good about YOUR job?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I get to work with Hubbers, read so much good writing, and learn so many new things on a regular basis. smile

Two thumbs way up :-)

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image82

Streets in my neighborhood a sheet of ice! I'm in my home office chilling! Another reason why I love my job!

3. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm a Freelance English teacher in Milan, Italy. The variety, fun and freedom are the best parts. There is a big downside but that's another discussion

1. Sed-me profile image78
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that sounds so cool.

3. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

My job is time demanding, though not all that stressful, but I like it that way.

Good for you!

4. Jacqueline4390 profile image82

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12204833.jpg
    After I retired; I pursued my passion for Graphic Designing on a regular basis. One of the good things about it is that I commute from my bedroom to my home office. That takes me about a minute. I can communicate with my clients either in my office or by email and telephone.

I don't worry about "Snow Days" because I can still get my work done without leaving the comfort of my home and I have my breaks and lunches whenever I want them. I also listen to classical music and enjoy an atmosphere of serenity and productivity.

Yes, my job or should I say my career is all I could ask for in a job! Even when my clients become a bit fussy--I still have the convenience of meeting their demands without having to get "approval" from someone "higher up."

5. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

First of all, I'm my own boss. Secondly, I actually see my counseling "job" as a ministry, and love helping people work through their personal issues. It is very rewarding to know you're making a difference is someone's life.

Edit: Being able to do administrative work from home, in pajamas, is a plus. smile

I can tell by that "award winning smile of yours!"

6. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I am self-employed and yes that comes with stress and uncertainty at times, but it also means I don't have to answer to others, play office politics, or deal with people who I don't choose to associate with. 

It has given me the benefit of being more self-motivated, organized and determined - because if I'm not we don't eat or pay bills.  There's a lot of incentive to get one's act together when you depend solely on your self.

Freelancing also allows me to use my creative talents (writing, design etc) which is what I prefer to do over my former life in hotel management.  No matter what you do, there are going to be days you just don't want to do it, but working on my own I face those days far less frequently now.

7. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

My commute is about 20 feet each morning, from bed to office. I often work in my PJs (always something comfy) with my dogs at my feet or sometimes in my chair with me, as a backrest. My hours are really flexible; as long as I get the work done, it usually doesn't matter when that happens. Then again, sometimes I work more than full time and don't get paid days off or vacations. (Well, with one exception; I actually do have a client who pays me to take time off over the winter holidays.)

I love freelancing, which I've been doing full time for the past several years. I've had the office jobs and the proverbial 9-5s (which were usually more like 8-5 or 8-6), but this lifestyle is much more to my liking. It still can get stressful at times, and having multiple clients can be a challenge, but I wouldn't trade it for a so-called "real job" for anything. Freelancing allows me the freedom to do Search & Rescue -- a passion of mine -- and go backpacking/hiking, another passion. And I really do live for my passions.

8. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

I love what I do now, and I love the flexibility it gives me.  Here's what I like about it:

- I choose when I do the work. Complete flexibility.
    - The return on investment (for my consulting work) is significant - very good income per hour invested.
    - The university teaching is rewarding - I enjoy it, and can take a term off if I want.
    - When my work is completed, the time is mine (I'm not chained to being someplace for eight hours).
    - My mind is more freed-up to do more creative writing, and I enjoy that.

As Ramkitten said, the freelance jobs don't provide paid time off, but it all works out.

Although I had a great career in the 8-5 world, I am very aware of the stress it created. I don't regret those years - I learned a lot, made great friends and professional associates, and had some amazing experiences. That career made it possible to do what I do now.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

My boss works out of a different facility 25 miles away so aside from two or three visits a year she's just a voice on the phone. Not a bad arrangement.

10. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

The ppl I work with.

11. Jacolive profile image60
    Jacoliveposted 9 years ago

At the moment my main job is raising my son, so I get to hangout with the most fun little 20 month old everyday. We have our moments, but most of the time its great.

1. Sed-me profile image78
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1! smile

12. lisavanvorst profile image62
    lisavanvorstposted 9 years ago

I am the Director of Recreation in a nursing home. What is so good about my job is that I get to plan fun and enjoyable programs for our longterm residents and our patients who are here for therapy. Today we are having our Valentine's Day Party (we do not have parties on the weekend). For the past two weeks I have had residents, patients and visitors come up to me excited about the party. We introduced a new entertainer in December for our resident/family Christmas/holiday party and everyone loved him. He is coming to perform again today. The dining room is decorated with all types of Valentine Decorations, red table cloths and heart shaped mylar balloons. The dining services department is making us yummy desserts and beverages. When I see resdients and patients smiling, laughing, singing and clapping, this makes my day and I feel as though my staff and I did something good for someone else. This job is very rewarding in the sense you make people happy. In a nursing home that is so important.

13. aesta1 profile image92
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

We enjoy working in other countries and sharing what we know well. We have freedom to say no to whatever contracts we don't want as well as determine our own time so we have kept our summers in Canada protected.

WOW an A+ situation!

14. dimimobile profile image57
    dimimobileposted 9 years ago

My boss works out of a different facility ....

That is nice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)