Will Rajon Rondo resign with the Mavericks?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 9 years ago

Personally, I don't think he will because he's a bad fit for the team long term.  The Mavericks love to pass the ball around a lot, and Rondo seems to be a ball dominant point guard that needs the ball to go through him to be effective; which is totally against Coach Carlisle's offensive style. 

I don't think he'd be a good fit for the New York Knicks either.   I say this mainly because Phil Jackson seems obsessed with implementing the triangle offense there, and throughout my years of watching the 90's bulls and 2000's lakers play, it doesn't really seem like the triangle offense even needs a traditional point guard setting up shots for people.  If anything, it would probably be a waste of Rondo's talents if he went to New York.

Personally, I'd like to see him go to the Lakers.  I'm not a huge Lakers fan, but I think he would be a good fit there.  For starters, he knows Kobe Bryant, and he's not a pushover either.  Plus, he's a champion, so him and kobe would have no problem seeing eye to eye on things.  Kobe is in the final year of his contract next season, so the lakers need someone to  help establish their new identity after kobe retires, so why not rondo?

I think it would be a perfect fit.   Plus if the Lakers do get the first pick in the draft to get Okafor, while signing rondo and some other big name player like maybe Kevin love, then don't be surprised if the Lakers make some noise next year. 

What do you guys think?

1. Phil Perez profile image61
      Phil Perezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well Rondo, for one, does not get along with Carlisle. They have many differences. The Mavs have 4 point guards on the team whose style of play is different. It's difficult for Rondo to adjust when he's usually the "leader" and cannot implement any of his ways when he's new to the team. I personally believe he should leave. I think it's for financial reasons that he's there...Maybe a good fit can be the Indiana Pacers or even the San Antonio Spurs for their slow-pace/fundamental style of play. Frank Vogel and Gregg Popovich are excellent coaches, one of the best ever in my humble opinion. The Knicks and Lakers need to rebuild too much and having Rondo there won't do much good when Rondo is a "pass-first" player. If players can't do well under pressure or cannot perform consistently, then what use is Rondo's style in L.A. or N.Y any valuable?

As for going with Kobe (because I've heard they've been talking and even had lunch together at one point) well I don't believe it'll last since Kobe is aging and to rely on two players to be contenders in the playoffs is iffy.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I doubt he's going to the Knicks because I know Phil Jackson's triangle offense doesn't need a traditional point guard per say, so his talents would be kind of wasted in New York.  As for the your suggestion about the Spurs, I disagree.  I like the Spurs, but they already have a healthy Tony Parker, who's 32 years old, and he could still be the starter on that team for  years.  I think if the Spurs need anything, then they should be looking at possible successors for Duncan, and worry about resigning Kwahi because he's their future.

I do think your right about the Mavericks because I don't see that being a fit in the long run.  Not unless Rondo becomes the next Jason Kidd, and just becomes more of a scorer as his career goes on.

I think it could work in LA because your overlooking a few possible things that work in the Lakers favor.  For one, most of their roster is coming off the books after this year, and they'll have enough money go after two marquee free agents this summer, and a possible first round pick. If they somehow get the number one pick to get Okafor, and if they  manage to sign Rondo along with another big name like maybe Kevin Love or whoever, then the Lakers could make a comeback in the West.  Granted, a lot of "ifs" would have to happen, but it could in theory. Plus, a lot of this depends on whether or not Okafor would be a bust or not too because that'll be a huge factor; along with whether or not Kobe is going to have a problem deferring his leadership to the new players because next year will be his last season after all.

I think another good fit for him would be the Rockets.  Although Harden loves playing with the ball in his hands most of the game, he's also used to playing with a point guard that controls the ball majority of the time like it was back in OKC.  However, the biggest difference here is that Rondo isn't a shoot first type point guard.  He's a pass first one, which wouldn't hurt Harden's offensive game too much.

If anything, it would probably help Dwight Howard's offensive game because Rondo could do a variety of pick and roll sets to get him the ball inside the paint, or throw him some nice alley oop passes.

I like Rondo going to the Kings actually because they're in dire need of a leader. DeMarcus Cousins cannot because although he does have that quality he doesn't see the floor as good as a point guard and with George Karl's new method of dishing the ball to Cousins I see Rondo can potentially be a good fit in Sacramento.

Harden is too selfish in my opinion. He's in love with handling and play 1 on 1 type of offense disregarding his own teammates who are more than capable of playing. Rondo cannot carry teammates, he helps them eventually carry themselves to be able to carry their own teammates (I hope that didn't sound confusing). If Rondo always wants the ball to make plays and Harden wants the ball to and score constantly then it'll be a Westbrook/Harden conflict all over again.

Harden and Rondo are two leaders and only one must drop their ego in order to win. If none of them ever lowers their pride, then I don't see them playing well. If it was just Rondo and Howard then that's a different story.

I'm not sure of the "young bloods" who'll be drafted with the Lakers, they have too much to learn before Rondo can get another championship ring. I don't think he has the time to do that with Kobe. Kobe doesn't even have patience or faith in the Lakers... The Knicks have more potential because there are some veterans like Bargnani and Melo but Rondo is a defensive type of player and the Knicks/Lakers are offensive type teams.

1. profile image0

That's why I said there's a lot of 'IFS" involved when it comes to the lakers, but theoretically they do have the potential to bounce back next year because of the cap room they have, AND if they can get a pick in the top five that isn't a bust, then we could be talking about the lakers in a different light next year.

2. profile image0

Sacramento would probably be a good destination for him as well, as you do bring up a good point about them.

As far as the conflict with Harden and Westbrook go, there's a few distinct differences between Westbrook and Rondo if you haven't noticed.  Rondo is a pass first, pass second, pass third type of point guard.  Meaning that Harden doesn't have to worry about losing touches or any points to Rondo.  If anything, he knows that  he'll get the ball back right away if Rondo handles the ball majority of the time. 

As far as the ego thing goes, I get what you're saying, but here's the thing.  Shaq and Kobe didn't exactly like each other either, but they won three titles together.  And Scottie Pippen didn't exactly love playing with Michael Jordan either.  imo.  However, it didn't matter because they were winning.  Therefore, if they hit the ground running and win a title, then I'm sure that alleviates everything.

2. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 8 years ago

Well Rick Carlisle said that he doesn't believe Rondo will be back, so I guess it's official.

Phil Perezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

For some reason I feel he'll stay one more year because it's Rondo. Rondo was never the type to just "jump" teams. But who knows, maybe they'll waive him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)