Suggestions for a New Hubber?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)
  1. kbdressman profile image61
    kbdressmanposted 9 years ago

What suggestions do you have for a new hubber?  What topics do you recommend they write on?  What topics have worked well for you?  What mistakes should they avoid?  What has led to your success as on hubpages? How often do you recommend publishing?  Do you have any specific advice on the pages I've published so far?

1. Paul Maplesden profile image76
      Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The first stop for a new hubber should always be the learning center. There's lots of information on there about all of your questions and it's extremely helpful. Find it here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

kbdressmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Paul!  I've read a number of the articles.  I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, slowly!

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

1) Reading and comprehending the rules and guidelines can be frustrating, especially as they change, a LOT, but it's really worth it.
      2) things you really do on your offline life.
      3) things I really do in my offline life
      4) that's why you read the rules first!
      5) publishing depends on how fast you write and how much time you have to devote to this.  There is such a thing as "too soon" with web writing but almost never "too late"
      6) what gets you an edge these days is truly unique content.  What can you say, based on your experience, that no one else is saying?

1. Kylyssa profile image90
        Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

I'd also add that it helps to learn by doing. Learn the rules and then write a few dozen articles on an assortment of tightly-focused topics you have personal experience with. Keep writing and publishing and you should slowly see trends in which topics you write best by seeing which topics get views and shares. Then you can focus on those topics a bit more.

No one can tell you which topics will work best for you unless they can see a large enough body of your work to know what you write best. There are no one-size-fits-all answers to what topics will work for you.

I can tell you some things that are highly unlikely to work for you:

* Over-saturated topics
        * Topics that are too broad used as individual article topics
        * Topics that don't excite or interest you
        * Topics you only have feelings about but have done absolutely no research on
        * Topics frequently associated with spam even if what you write on those topics is not spam
        * Writing that is too general

2. kbdressman profile image61

Thanks, relache!  You gave me a couple ideas that are currently being reviewed.  We'll see how they go!

Thanks, Kylyssa.  I'm pretty sure my first few topics were too broad.  Thanks for mentioning that!

2. Reinventing Rach profile image61
    Reinventing Rachposted 9 years ago

I am also a new "hubber" and I have all the same questions so I am glad this was posted.  I want to make the post of my postings!  I have always been interested in writing and sharing experiences with others so I am looking forward to starting this journey.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wrote an article about how the whole system works that may help you.  You can find it on my timeline.  It is easy to become discouraged when you are starting out, but you just have to keep plugging away.  I always advise writing what you know about and creating evergreen articles (those that will be read throughout the year as opposed to seasonal articles).   Welcome to HP and good luck.

1. Reinventing Rach profile image61
        Reinventing Rachposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I will definitely read what you wrote.  I agree that starting out can be discouraging as well as confusing.  I am just trying to figure this all out.  I wrote about 6 short hubs today but I was denied by Google adsense forgot having enough approved content? Can you reapply to Google Adsense once you have been denied, and if so how? Also how do you actually start earning money form your hubs? This is the confusing part for me? Any information will be helpful! Thanks

1. Jan Saints profile image88
          Jan Saintsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes you can reapply, but ensure you've at least 10 featured hubs.
          Your hubs will earn you money through: HubPages earnings program, Google Ad program, Amazon & eBay programs, contests and apprenticeship program. You need Google Adsense approval to set up and activate all these programs.
          You can visit the Learning Center for more info.

2. kbdressman profile image61

Glad to see I'm not the only one, Reinventing Rach!

TIMETRAVELER2, I'll have to check out your article.  Thanks!

3. Angel198625 profile image88
    Angel198625posted 9 years ago

Starting out on hubpages can be a little rough for some while you're figuring it all out. Just read the rules, follow them, and then write about something that interests you. If you just write about whatever to throw something out there, it won't nearly as good as if you write about something you're passionate about, or at least already know about. You also want unique content. Publish whenever you feel like it. One thing to remember, there are alot of new hubbers that are looking for the secret formula to success. There really isn't one. Just do the above, and give it time. Best of luck!

Thanks, Angel198625!  Profound point about the secrets to success.  (here or anywhere!)  Guess I'd better get to work!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)