Love Affair with a Bread Knife - What Is Your Favorite Kitchen Tool?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. 4FoodSafety profile image61
    4FoodSafetyposted 9 years ago

OK, I admit it I love food safety but cooking is not forte. I just finished insulating my attic with Roxul and put my bread knife to great use. Then Roxul gave me a free knife. I continued with my kitchen bread knife.

Since I do not cook often, the bread knife from the kitchen was not missed - I have to be honest.

The insulation is now complete and the bread knife has been cleaned and put away.

Until this morning.

When I went to cut up some bacon, I reached for my old friend who has been in my hand allot these past several weeks. You guessed it, I picked up the bread knife to cut the bacon.

To my amazement, the bread knife cut better than my many other sharp knives! Wow!

I am in love with my bread knife.

Is there a kitchen tool that you consider your old friend?

1. profile image0
      BarbaraCaseyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes. I have a 25-year-old Leifheit jar opener that I couldn't do without. Even made a lens/hub about it.

4FoodSafetyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Awesome! You are like me you don't wish to be dependent. The tools that help me where I never have to ask for help are my favorite.

2. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I love my mandolin - despite it's biting me back a couple of times - nothing slices more beautifully and quickly.

I have always wanted a mandolin. You have motivated me to take the plunge.
      Thank you!

3. lisavanvorst profile image64
    lisavanvorstposted 9 years ago

The food processor it does chopping, dicing, blending and more. I hate to cook, my husband does all the cooking, however he too uses the processor more than any other tool or appliance in the kitchen.

Wow! Mine has seen much more dust than use. When I use it everything become soup like.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I just love my Rasta food container and couldn't manage without it.

Er.

You can put food in it and then when you get the munchies you can take it out again.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12306881.jpg

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's too high-tech for me, Mark.  Wow.  Scares me.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Buy two and practice on one till the lid breaks Marcy.  Then use the other one for hash cookies.

2. 4FoodSafety profile image61

I haven't seen that here in the US - made of silicon for storage? I love everything made of silicon - light and simple like me! smile

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

I use one certain paring knife almost every time I cook  Aside from that, my latest thing that might become a favorite is a floppy rubber pan or bowl cover (I don't even know what it's called).  It looks like a round, flat rubbery thing with a small handle on top, and you can seal a bowl with it or use it to cover a pan that's cooking on the stove or microwave. It's wonderful. 

Things I don't use as often but I thought I would (and everyone else swore they couldn't do without): 

KitchenAid Mixer - the way everyone raved about them, I thought it would change my life. Not yet, but hoping.

VitaMix - I had an early romance with it, but I don't use it that often now.

Oh, I purchased that floppy rubber thing for my Mother In Law and she never uses it and I want one!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)