So, A Lot Of My Hubs Were Unfeatured due to traffic.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (25 posts)
  1. joween18 profile image80
    joween18posted 9 years ago

Well, when you are suffering from depression and you opened your hubpages stats then you notice that 9 of your supposed to be featured hubs got unfeatured due to lack of traffic.. Very disappointing indeed but, can you guys here suggest some tips in improving hits? I don't want to spam my facebook friends with my hub links and I am looking for a decent and constant traffic source like Google.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12307371.jpg

1. Robin profile image86
      Robinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This happens to a lot of Hubbers, including staff, so don't worry!  Your Hubs can easily be featured again if you edit them.  I would suggest asking fellow Hubbers for advice on how to improve readership on your Hubs.  I'm happy to give you advice as well if you leave a link.  Take care.  smile

joween18posted 9 years agoin reply to this
        1. SpaceShanty profile image93
          SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I read the first one '10 Internet tricks' and it looks very detailed and insightful, I don't think you are not getting views because of the quality.

I think you just need to do some keyword research with Google Adwords or just using Google search and then put those popular searches into your titles for each text capsule and once in the main body of the text without it looking unnatural, I know this can sometimes destroy a beautiful sentence but it is what you have to do sometimes to get visits.

I didn't know you could download a wiki article in PDF so I did a quick search to show you what keywords or search terms people use.  If you do the same for each capsule then the views will start rolling in.

You might have to save the picture to your computer to view it.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12307916_f248.jpg

2. Kylyssa profile image91
          Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice if HubPro were for improving traffic to the hubs that need it most but it's only for making hubs that already get a lot of traffic and social media shares fit a specific HubPages style.

I wouldn't think of what you need to do to improve traffic as keywording but instead, insuring that the topic you are writing on is something people search for sometimes and that you include the sort of words people search for when researching that topic.

For example, I have a hub about things people often mistakenly believe about homeless people. I wrote the article, listing those incorrect beliefs and countering them with facts. Then I looked at different ways people might search for the information.  What I found was that people frequently use a couple of different words to mean very similar concepts. For that topic, those words were misconceptions and stereotypes so I used those words in the hub title. I also saw that people often put the word 'common' in their searches on this topic so the title became "Common Stereotypes and Misconceptions about Homeless People." I also replaced instances where I'd used the word myths with the word misconceptions because the statistics showed that people really didn't use the word 'myths' very often when making searches on this topic.

You can see from that hub's URL that the title was originally "Homelessness Myths and Misconceptions." The new title works much better.

2. SheilaMilne profile image92
      SheilaMilneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You might like to consider using Grammarly (free Chrome app) to catch a few of those typos and grammar mistakes that we all have.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I took a quick look on your Google use tutorial and as a former Language Arts teacher saw a distinct difference between the way you write when you are speaking to your audience, and the way you write in technical terms.

They should be the same.  You do have grammar issues, but I don't see that as the real problem.  If I edited this piece, I would wonder if you had spun some of the information to try to make it appear as though it was yours.

This topic is well saturated, so this would be very easy to do. It does not appear to me as though the writing in this piece is totally yours, and that may be why it became unfeatured.

Yup.. I do believe that I have grammar issues. I just write something that will came up in my mind while writing (impromtu).

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I understand that, but this does not mean you can copy complete paragraphs from other sites in order to create an article.  You really need to take some ESOL classes and learn how to use the language correctly before you try to write on a site like this.  There are many people here from other countries who are second language speakers who do well because they learned what they needed to know before trying to produce good articles.  You need to do what they did, or success will continue to evade you.  Furthermore, if you keep copying and plagiarizing, you will be banned.

4. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have 120 hubs, got 12 unfeatured in a single day, now i edit one hub aday like adding new photos, polls, video, amazon, text, got featured now

2. NateB11 profile image90
    NateB11posted 9 years ago

The best way I've experienced to get better traffic is to use keywords that bring in visitors. Sometimes just tweaking the title (especially the title) will bring more visitors from the search engines.

This means you'll have to do some keyword research to see what people are actually typing into the search engine. It's unlikely you'll get much traffic unless the title of the article reflects what people are actually typing into the search engine. This is what titles actually need to reflect, if you want traffic.

Just make sure the title still reflects what the article is about too.

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
      csmiravite-blogsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I read the article of JPCarlos about the proper use of keywords to improve the clickrates...and I'm going to do that. Putting the keyword on the title is a great help, too.

3. mary615 profile image81
    mary615posted 9 years ago

I can imagine how you must have felt when you saw all those notices.  I was sad yesterday to see one of mine was unfeatured, but I know why.  You have received some good advice here; it all has to do with what people are searching for, I think.
    No one was searching for my topic!
    My Hub never got much traffic to begin with, so I should have worked on it to bring it back to being featured.   I was just lazy!

4. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

After a very quick look at your hubs, I'd guess that the problem is how very general and over-saturated your topics are. People tend to look to known experts and celebrities for lists like the ten best anime or what-have-you. To do well with that sort of topic, you need to both narrow the topic and find a hook. If you were to write about the ten best anime for steampunk lovers or the ten best anime for a bachelor party or to add some other interesting modifier, it might serve both functions.

The computer advice is something people would likely search a tech bulletin board or newsgroup for and the topics themselves are fairly saturated. Look at the Internet as a whole rather than at HubPages when trying to determine if too many people are already covering the exact same concepts online.

I'm not into a lot of fruitless and difficult work so I choose topics that don't have so much direct competition. If there are enough people writing on a single narrow topic that they could form their own country, I tend to avoid that topic unless I know I am an actual expert in that topic. For instance, if I weren't a retired, award-winning floral designer, I'd avoid floral design topics like the plague because everyone and her sister seems to give those topics a shot.

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
      csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good I came across this thread as I need to edit my hubs too. This gave me an idea on how to go about it.  I need my hubs to be more Google friendly to increase the click rates, so it doesn't get unfeatured.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is my feeling.  You can use all the keywords in the world, but the information in your articles has to be truly unique.

5. joween18 profile image80
    joween18posted 9 years ago

One quick question.. Does the hub URL affect SEO? If does, why not give us an option to edit it.. You know?

I just change some Titles of my hubs to 'must' search based on google trends..but still the URL are the same as before. Hopefully I can rise up on other search engines as well as Yahoo and Bing.

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes the keywords in the URL do have some SEO effect but you can't change it so don't worry, it is only one of many factors.

6. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

It happens now and that makes us disappointed. I find nothing wrong with the traffic, but in fact it is quality. What I recommend is not to delete those hubs but give it a patient reading. Again read and find out where it stands now and what are the elements we can improve. Try to avoid or limit affiliate ads such as eBay and Amazon.  Check the links. Then resubmit it for editors analysis. Wait and see if it passed or not. If passed (featured), be happy and if not just leave it for a while. Frankly speaking everything related to HP is now passing through bad phase, such as less traffic, less author score, less earning, etc. The conversion of Feature to Unfeature  also in a alarming scale!  I am really worried and don't what to do further.

7. Bills Place profile image83
    Bills Placeposted 9 years ago

Almost half of mine also got unfeatured due to traffic, blah.

I feel you!

It would be great if they could this feature.. hehe smile
      Just saying..

8. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 9 years ago

Sorry to be blunt, but the first thing that I notice when I read your hubs is the poor spelling and grammar.

joween18posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yup.. I am pretty aware of that. Sorry. Not a native english speaker here wink

9. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

You were not alone with the unfeatured hubs. I got I think 11 unfeatured and I was busy updating them although I know that it was caused by low traffic. I´m glad I´m finished now and some are featured again.

10. RanaKm profile image40
    RanaKmposted 8 years ago

Simple: Just quit this site and start your own blog and rules.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)