Google's Mobile-Friendly Algorithm Update

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image94
    Christy Kirwanposted 9 years ago

Happy Monday! Here's hoping it's short and heavily caffeinated.

Check out today's Blog Post for information on Google's upcoming Mobile-Friendly algorithm change.

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
      csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thnx for posting this thread. I better check mine too, if mobile-friendly.

2. paradigm search profile image53
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

https://i.imgflip.com/jiypa.jpg

3. NateB11 profile image87
    NateB11posted 9 years ago

Been noticing there are a lot of visitors using mobile devices and been hearing about how important being optimized is in terms of the search engine. Glad HP is ahead of the game.

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 9 years ago

Is the mobile friendly search label applied to all HP?  Just ones chosen by HP?  Chosen by Google?

None of the searches I did for my hubs show the label, although I've gone through nearly half of them trying to make them mobile friendly.

5. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

@wilderness will you post a url that doesn't have the mobile friendly designation. All pages on your subdomain should have it.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://hubpages.com/hub/EMT-Electrical- … ding-Guide

Searching google for "formulas and multipliers for bending conduit" shows the hub, but not with the mobile friendly designation as the HP blog shows.  Or do you have to be on a phone to see that?

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
        Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It only shows on a phone.  I checked it on my phone and it has the mobile friendly designation.

Thanks, Paul.  I just got a new phone and they're having trouble porting the number over, so couldn't check myself.  I hated to think that my hours of work on the hubs was going to waste! smile

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
          csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I keep on yapping that I need to do some edit, but I haven't done any work yet. Our hubs need to be mobile-friendly to attract more readers.

6. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I just took a look at one of my hubs in the mobile friendly version - and noted all the adverts sitting near the top interspersed amongst my content and diverting traffic away from my hub and my recommendations.

That's straight cannibalisation in marketing terms.

I'm NOT impressed - not least because I do NOT recommend the products on the other end of the adverts

Net effect - you've just prompted me to remove some content.

7. Shades-of-truth profile image82
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

I have been previewing some of my articles, using the "Mobile" preview option. They look spammy to me, as the advertisements are glaring. Due to their placement, it looks like the author has finished the hub, as it takes a bit of scrolling to get past them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to take away from a reader continuing on to the end of the hub. Not fond of the layout.

I don't like the look, either, but what else can you do with the ads?  There IS no side area to stick them into!

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
      Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can always turn ads off on your Hub(s). As wilderness points out, there's much less flexibility when it comes to ad placement on mobile. hmm

1. Shades-of-truth profile image82
        Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Marina. I was simply commenting about my experience with the mobile view. Some of the ads took up a large "chunk" of space.

I know the space is limited, and there isn't a whole lot more that can be done with them.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image94
          Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ideally, we'd really love to have less ads (and less prominent ads) too. It's always a tough balancing act between the look of the content and our ability to pay the bills and keep the site running.

1. Shades-of-truth profile image82
            Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can certainly identify with that, Christy!

2. colorfulone profile image77
            colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

With the limited space and need to scroll I would think most mobile device users are good at ignoring ads unless one gets their attention.

3. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree Shades-of-truth, overbearing. It is surprising to see how many and how they chop up the hub. I understand bills must be paid and that this is how business is done. But it seems contradictory when we are told to get rid of Amazon and eBay ads and they need to be germane to the hub and strategically placed.  Most of the HP ads I see are not related to the hub they are placed in. Confused about the rules. Maybe we need to make space for HP ads because they are more profitable?

8. makingamark profile image70

I could always switch my content to another site as well - where I would be happy to see MY RECOMMENDATIONS for products and AdSense in the placement I judge appropriate.

The issue for me is the rigidity of the HubPages template in terms of where adverts should come.

The point of sites with content should be the content NOT the adverts. 

Once the content just becomes a peg to hang the adverts on then it's time to reevaluate the pros and cons of different hosts

We all have the option of changing to a site where any Adsense placement will be sensitive to each page and work well whether it's seen on a desktop or a mobile. 

With Hubpages the only option we have is AdSense on or off.  (Does that actually turn ALL the adverts off?) Is that going to keep people happy? Only time will tell.

In terms of HubPages, I don't have a clue what the business model assumes in terms of how many hubbers will end up removing content or turning AdSense off - but maybe it might be wise to do some sensitivity analysis around the assumptions being made?

9. makingamark profile image70

I understand that. However the placement and size of the adverts and the extent to which they actively cannibalise the content of the hub I looked at suggests to me the balance is weighted too far one way.

Like I said I know I have other options - but I thought you might like some feedback as to why I'm now looking at them........ smile

(Besides which I thought Google thought that websites which had too many adverts too high in the content were spammy?)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)