A Hub No Longer Editors Choice

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (28 posts)
  1. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 9 years ago

I had 11 Editors Choice hubs. I noticed today that I only have 10 of them now. I don't remember exactly which hub lost the EC status but I have a feeling it might be a hub that has become unfeatured due to engagement. If an EC hub becomes unfeatured due to engagement does it lose EC status? And if it does how can I make it go back to EC status?

1. RockyMountainMom profile image67
      RockyMountainMomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't have an answer, but I was wondering the same thing. The order of my hubs (as far as score and their listing on my stats page) has changed so wildly lately that it could all shift again soon.  But for now, some of my previously steady hubs have settled to the bottom.  My Editors Choice has settled to the very bottom of my list...it feels so odd to see it in 'last place'.....hopefully it will rebound, but I was wondering if keeping a low score for too long makes it lose the distinction/classification.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
        PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ditto on the rearrangement of formerly top ranking hubs. They have settled to the bottom, including Editor's Choice book reviews that now have a score of 65. I've lost two EC hubs due to engagement issues but they had scores of 90. Sad and confusing.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If an Editor's Choice hub loses its featured status, it will also lose the Editor's Choice accolade - edit: sorry it will lose the EC status, not accolade.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Feat … d_23681264

That is a bummer!  sad

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is. I have a few EC's that don't get a lot of traffic=-- on the other hand, some editor thought it was a worthy piece. I guess it is posible to "unchoose" once it has ben chosen,,,?

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I haven't checked mine lately, but if I knew that I would have never opted in. My question then is if they start all over in their aging at Google, since they have a new url.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No they don't, because there is a 301 redirect from the original URL.   

That's also the downside of Editor's Choice.   It's not a good idea to have multiple 301 redirects, so if you have Hubs which already have a redirect on them, you wouldn't want them redirected again.

So for instance, I opted out of EC because most of my Hubs were written before sub-domains were introduced and therefore have a 301 redirect already.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74

Marisa, So were mine. So now they have two redirects if they took them out of EC. Thanks for your answer.

3. peachpurple profile image83
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I haven't reach that part yet, sorry but i think it willlose theeditor choice too

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

The Editor’s Choice status is not necessarily permanent.  At any given time, only a small percentage of Hubs will be designated Editor’s Choice.        http://blog.hubpages.com/2013/08/08/ann … oice-hubs/

3. Mickji profile image72
    Mickjiposted 9 years ago

Shouldn't you stop spamming lucas ferrer ??
    About the EC, if they change the state so often, don't you think that it is not good for our profile ? I got a message saying that if I will have many unpublished Hubs I will lose points, so the same goes by for the EC,  if you get it and then you are rejected it means that your quality decrease... no?

4. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

I am a little concerned here it appears that having an EC award could actually be harmful in the longer term? If this is the case why can HP not just add a link to that page and remove it once the value of the award is over? In that way there would not be a need for any re-direct.

5. pumpkincat210 profile image59
    pumpkincat210posted 9 years ago

I have 1 hub and it was Editors Choice for a long time.  Yesterday it lost that status despite November being my best month ever on hubpages in 5 years.  My hub was also edited by hubpro in September even though it was already editors choice. My score dipped and stayed between about 85 and 89 in November (i didn't check the first part of the month) Strangely my score went down to an 82 when the new page design rolled out.  Then it lost editors choice status yesterday, but it recovered ten points to a 92 just a few hours later.... Thats the biggest leap in points in the shortest amount of time i've had.

6. Solaras profile image93
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

Paul E had said after the Squidoo merger that they would re-evaluate EC hubs, as they would only want one EC hub on each topic.  I have also lost an EC recently.

Marissa, can they not just remove the 301 redirect or are those permanent?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I'm not sure what you mean about removing the 301 redirect, Solaras.    The 301 redirect is valuable because if there are links out there pointing to the original article, they will be redirected to the new URL.  So a 301 redirect is a good thing in general. 

However, each time a URL is redirected, it loses a bit of "juice".   So if you have a choice between leaving a page where it is, or moving it somewhere else with a 301 redirect, it's always better to leave it where it is.

So in this case, there appears to be no great benefit to be gained from being Editor's Choice, and therefore there isn't a driving reason to allow it.  Whereas in your case, where you may be moving your blog to your sales website, there IS a driving reason - while you may lose some of the traffic that comes directly to your blog, you'll boost your sales website traffic substantially, and that's what makes the money.

1. Solaras profile image93
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marisa: 

I was referring to the EC hubs that are now no longer EC hubs.  So there was a 301 redirect to get it to the EC subdomain, and now will there be another one to send it back to our subdomain, or can they just remove the first 301 redirect.  I guess there might be links on the EC subdomain -so we need both 301s to keep all potential links??

1. Barbara Kay profile image74

I"m wondering that too. By getting basically what was a reward might hurt us in the end.

1. pumpkincat210 profile image59
            pumpkincat210posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am confused with this regarding webmaster tools and analytics/adsense.  It adds frustration to already difficult tools.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Yes you do need both, and they don't necessarily "hurt".   It's just that they are not 100% effective in transferring the benefit of those links.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just found this even though it's five weeks after you asked this question. As a web programmer I figured I better chime in with the correct explanation...

When an EC hub is moved back to one's subdomain, the first 301 redirect is replaced by the actual hub since that redirect is no longer needed. And a new 301 redirect is created in the previous location where the hub existed in the top HP domain. So there still is only one redirect. It's just in the other direction.

The situation where you would lose link juice is if you had a 301 redirect pointing to a new location and then moved that page to a third different location, thereby requiring two redirects. A to B and B to C. But that is not the case when moving EC hubs back and forth. EC hubs are not moved to a third location. They are simply being moved back to where they were first created.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
            PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this explanation, Glenn. I was wondering about the negatives of having two redirects and your comment cleared this up for me.

2. Solaras profile image93
            Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Glenn - That cheers me up!

7. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

lovebuglena,
    Did it show up on your profile?

8. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 9 years ago

I went from 11 EC hubs down to 4. That is a huge drop. Why did this happen?

1. Susana S profile image95
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is a set number of EC hubs, so those on the lower end of the quality scale will get booted in favour of higher quality ones.

I lost a couple too.

It's motivating me to improve those hubs to try and regain EC status as they do better traffic/earnings wise on the HubPages domain.

2. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's one of the really bad things about allowing your Hubs to be selected for the Editor's Choice program.  When a Hub is selected, the URL is changed from your subdomain to the main HP URL.  If an EC Hub loses the EC designation, the URL is changed again and it moves back to your subdomain.

Changing the URL of a Hub is not something you do without careful thought and an overwhelming reason, and doing so has repercussions. On HP, when EC Hubs are selected a 301 redirect is put in place from the old URL to the new one.  The 301 redirect is only supposed to be used for a permanent change, not a temporary one. 

SEO experts at Moz.com say: "Be aware that when moving a page from one URL to another, the search engines will take some time to discover the 301, recognize it, and credit the new page with the rankings and trust of its predecessor. This process can be lengthier if search engine spiders rarely visit the given web page, or if the new URL doesn't properly resolve."

Search Engine Watch reports: "Another possible downside of the 301 is that it does sometimes take a while for the search engines to attribute your new page with the search authority of your original page."

This is why so many people reported on the forum that their EC Hubs lost significant amounts of traffic when the URLs were first changed.

If you have inbound links pointing to your Hub from other Hubs or from other websites, your Hub will lose some of the benefits from those links each time the URL is changed and redirected to a new one.

You can lose the EC designation at anytime for these reasons:
      1.  "Hubs that lose their Featured status will also lose their Editor’s Choice status."
      2.  "The Editor’s Choice status is not necessarily permanent.  At any given time, only a small percentage of Hubs will be designated Editor’s Choice."

Your Hubs which lost the EC status have now had the URL changed twice.  You have to completely opt out of the program (for all your Hubs) to prevent the URLs from being changed again.

The EC program was introduced in August, 2013.  Two months ago, it was reported that the EC designation did NOT increase traffic to those Hubs: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128424#post2703747

9. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

I do not have much information on this but think others have answered better.

10. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

I knew there was a reason why I scurried away from the EC Program awhile back... big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)