HOTD quality control

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)
  1. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

Hello, Matt.

I appreciate you have a small engineering team with lots of competing priorities, but do you think it might be possible to create appropriate software that will prevent a listed (potential) HOTD from actually 'featuring' until it has been signed off as checked and approved by one of your editing team?

Active quality control of HOTD is a feature suggestion that will definitely be 'useful for a large number of authors'.

- It will directly help the authors of each of the 365 potential hubs of the day each year, who may not have noticed typos and other errors.
    - It will increase the confidence of authors like myself who are currently reluctant to recommend HP to other professional writers. (Surely the Hub of the Day should be as near to 'perfect' as possible.)
    - And, perhaps most importantly, it will encourage all HP authors to be aware of the need for 'top quality' if they hope to have one of their hubs featured as HOTD.

I haven't read all of this week's HOTDs, but the two hubs I did read have glaring errors.

One had paragraph breaks within sentences. Not once or twice, but repeatedly. It was a fascinating topic - worthy of attention to correct it and make it easier to read.

Today's HOTD has an obvious spelling mistake in the title. I've left a note for the author in the hope she sees it before too many other hubbers wake up and read it, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Somebody should be responsible for Quality Control before featuring any hub as HOTD. If the editorial staff are not checking hubs as a priority, software might fix the problem. I'd rather see the same 'perfect' HOTD featured for a week in preference to seeing a changing display of errors.

I'll leave it with you in the hope you can find a solution. Thanks, Matt.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Shades-of-truth profile image81
      Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+2

3. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Hubs of the Day are chosen by HubPages staff members from a pool of Editor’s Choice Hubs based on their interesting subjects, beautiful formatting, and high quality writing."
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/acco … d_22634413

LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Fox. The link you provided clearly shows the criteria for selection.

Because those criteria are not always met, I am hoping Matt's team will figure out a way for the staff members to actually check, then tick, each criteria before any HOTD is featured.

If they also have to write their name before 'signing off' on it, admin will have a clear idea who not to trust with choosing HOTD if errors get through.

4. ESPeck1919 profile image87
      ESPeck1919posted 9 years agoin reply to this

First off, thank you for pointing the typo out. I appreciate it. It would have been nice if the quality control folks would have pointed it out before featuring the hub, since I'd obviously missed it after however many times I read everything through.

I also agree the need for more quality control, but I also agree with Millionaire Tips's idea of sending potential HODT recipients an e-mail beforehand, so they could take another look at their work. This is my second HODT, and the only reason I knew either one was featured was because of an explosion of comments in my inbox. There must be a way to send notification to the author upon nomination.

1. Shades-of-truth profile image81
        Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point, ESPeck1919! Had you had a "heads up", you would have had an opportunity to check it over minutely. We have seen this many times before, and you are not the only one who wished they had a warning.

2. LongTimeMother profile image92

You're welcome, ESPeck1919. I'm glad you saw it promptly and had a chance to make the change.

One of my HOTDs also had a typo, but I was away from my computer until the next day - so it was seen by viewers for the entire day before I spotted it. It was only when I saw the multiple comments and revisited the hub that I saw the typo. Felt dreadful for not having fixed it earlier.

I have repeatedly requested a return to the type of email correspondence we used to get when hubs were selected for HOTD (in the days of Simone), but those requests have not been granted.

So, I thought I'd try a different approach. smile

Because I opted out of EC quite a while back, I'll not be in the running for any further HOTDs. Therefore there's no advantage to me from a 'saving face' perspective anymore, but I'd still like to be confident that HP's Hub of the Day (whichever hub it may be) is error free and worthy of 'representing' all HP authors on any given day.

If a nominated hub fails to be cleared for featuring, I think it should just stay in the pool until it is appropriately checked. We're never going to gain a solid reputation for creating quality work if our HOTD efforts fall short of a high mark.

I'd have been grateful if my typo had not slipped past 'quality control'.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I agree that potential HOTD should have the benefit of getting editing.  Even if it is only for people who have signed up for HubPro. This would help spread the HubPro benefits to a greater number of people, and even if you only do one hub for that Hubber, he or she can take what they learn from it and apply it to the other hubs in the account. This would increase the quality to the entire site faster.

Even simply letting the Hubber know that their hub is a potential candidate for HOTD would be helpful, so the Hubber can look over the hub before it is put in the spotlight.

This is not the first time we have made this recommendation.

3. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 9 years ago

I read the HOTD each morning.  I use that Hub as a guide in what HP believes to be a "stellar" Hub, and hope I can learn from reading it. 
    I saw the typo in today's HOTD.

The typo is fixed now, Mary, which makes it look much better. (Although it will still remain in the hub's address, unfortunately for the writer.)

1. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree Espec1919,
          It's always nicer if someone, either from staff or a friend, tells you there is a typo in your work, before too many people see it. Once they correct you in a forum, it just makes you feel bad.

I read somewhere that when you proofread your own work, once you read the typo wrong once, your eyes will continue to see it that way. Sometimes I read old hubs to see if they need updating or if something major in them changed, and see typos I never noticed before. It's embarrassing. Don't let it get to you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)