Your Views On Mars One?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. traveleze profile image45
    travelezeposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12218546_f520.jpg
    I think it's a step to far, It even scares me and i am not going! The through of going to a different planet HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of miles away (WITH NO RETURN) its a death sentence! We aren't made to go to different planets! These people will NEVER be able to return, so they say bye to there family like they are dying in my view! What is your views on this? here is some information if you not aware

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/17/tech/mars-one-final-100/
    http://www.mars-one.com

1. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not enough politicians or Reality TV contestants have signed up.

p.s. We aren't made to live on many parts of the earth either. That's why clothes were invented.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think the whole thing is a scam anyway. These people are not going anywhere.

3. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Interesting set of comments in this thread. 
      It never ceases to amaze me how people will turn to "a supernatural creator" and "his" plan for our world, when considering a technological ambition.  It's like mentally finding a concept too taxing and therefore throwing it all up to "Gard," to relieve the mind of any further work.
      So many of us want sensational happenings to keep ourselves motivated.  Just the simple process and journey of life and living seems to be never enough.
      For example, it's not enough to allow our naturally evolved digestive system to eat and deal with naturally grown foods.  We must listen to sensational advertisements that tell us untruths about "chopping up the cells to extract the nutrients."  I have never heard such nonsense, yet there are millions falling for it and paying millions of dollars into the coffers of the manufactures.
      When anyone complains that going to Mars is un-natural, just look at your life here on Planet Earth.  Get real!   Much of our great world of commerce is built on and dependent on the Un-Natural.

2. emmaouthworth profile image60
    emmaouthworthposted 9 years ago

I do agree with your point, traveleze but i also think that its part of evolution to evolve, and i believe that this is just part of  evolution

1. traveleze profile image45
      travelezeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm not sure i agree. I believe its very unnatural to live on mars and i think they could die really quickly

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 9 years ago

We're already under a death sentence, every one of us.  Going to mars can't add to that.

If we were "made" to eat cooked food we'd have a stove in our throat.  We certainly weren't "made" to fly, or so said people of the past, yet we do it every day.  Going to mars is no different.

The travelers may or may not return - you have no reason to say that they most definitely will not.

People said "Bye" to their family when they embarked on the Mayflower, too - is there any real difference?

Bottom line; if we don't learn how to spread mankind through space, and to other stars as well, we will surely perish.  This is but a tiny, tiny step in that direction and one that must be taken.

4. traveleze profile image45

wilderness

You provide a good answer and i respect that, Just for me just seems not natural

Thanks
    Lee

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, the trip is not for me, either.  While I would love to go to space, the first mars trip would not be my choice.

"Natural", though - I find that whatever man can do is "natural".  It's how we are - curious and wanting to always spread our wings a little further.  Always trying something new and harder.  For mankind, it is the "natural" thing to do.

1. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness, sorry to butt in... I only just came across this rather funny discussion.

You know, of course, that they are marketing on Mars a sort of white chocolate affair, very tasty, that they call Earth Bars.   Not to be eaten in gross amounts, otherwise you can't get a space suit to fit and you won't ever get back to Mother Earth.

smile

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Probably why there are no martians coming t earth - they're all too fat to get into their space suits.  Ever since the invasion of '38, when the few survivors fled back to mars with the ingredient list, they've had that problem.

5. traveleze profile image45

Hi wilderness

Yep i see your point, I think its just me reading this news websites saying they will die and being locked up for the rest of there life just plain scary

6. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 9 years ago

traveleze, I am in full agreement with Wilderness on this one. But, I say we must go to Mars, or this will be the first time in human existence where a frontier is made available technically and we turn away. One of the few redeeming characteristics of the human species is its insatiable curiosity as to what is just beyond the next bend. We must never give that up. Yes, Mars is uninhabitable without extensive artificial life support apparatus, but we can do it. 8 to 10 month journey one way is taxing on our technological prowess right now. There can be no resupply like that available for orbital platforms. I suggest a more aggressive exploration of the moon and the development of lunar colonies and bases and use them and the subsequent training and preparation as a springboard to Mars. Exploration of the solar system is the 21st century equivalent of the 16th and 17th century mariners. What would DeGama or Columbus say to us today? The pressure to develop more efficient propulsion technologies to learn to get around faster and other barriers today will be overcome as we sharpen our technological prowess to meet the challenges, as they say necessity is the mother of invention. I would like to think that a manned Mars landing could be possible within my lifetime, within the next 25-30 years.

'So we will go to the moon and do all the other things'...... John F. Kennedy, 1961

7. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 9 years ago

Given the latest probe, Curiosity, weighing in at about 2 tons, slightly larger than an SUV, travelling at 26K mph took 6 months -straight shot- to Mars, see no possibility that humans can achieve this on a larger scale. In universal size, the probe weighed about as much as a grain of sand. Consider the vessel alone required to transport 100 humans at a shot, never mind what would be needed in the vessel -and the fuel, and and.... The weight alone would slow its motion to a snails pace, extending the trip from 6 months to 6 years, respectively. Humans can barely get through a 6 hour flight or 6 miles of traffic without going berserk with internet/smartphone capabilities...

Second, there's no food or water -and if there is, the average daily surface temperature is -103F/-75C, albeit much warmer than space itself, but just a little too cold for sunbathing. Then there is the factor of 6 months of endless dust storms...

Third is the cost. Currently at a going rate of 1Billion USD for only 4 people. Y'ouch.

8. EssayMaxi profile image61
    EssayMaxiposted 9 years ago

Marc One is just super-crazy project! I can't even mind that such project can be in our real life.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is every indication that it is not real, but a money making scam with no actual chance of happening.

1. janesix profile image60
        janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why do you think that?

If true, it's unfortunate. I think it's a great idea.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)