Proof of Quota Imposition

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (49 posts)
  1. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Before the Phantom Panda my monthly traffic was the typical sine wave, pretty much completely governed by day-of-week.

After the Phantom Panda my traffic is pretty much just a straight line, day-of-week effects are now about 80% muted. And of course it's my peak traffic days that have been taken away so as to match my lower traffic days.

To me this is the final proof. What say you?

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There was no 'phantom panda.'  There was a change in the main Google algorithm; Google makes about 500 changes a year to that.

There is no such thing as a Google quota for search engine results or for sending traffic to a site.  There is a limit for domain clustering on page one, but even that has increased lately to allow more webpage results from the same site. People who imagine some sort of quota are having a bad case of sour grapes and should be improving the quality of their content instead of drinking that Kool-Aid.

paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well we certainly have one opinion, any others? lol

2. paradigm search profile image54

Hmmm. The latest HubPages Weekly (and its links) seems to dispute you on several points...

No, not really.  The Google spokesman confirmed that it wasn't a Panda algorithm change or update.  He said it was "part of a core algorithm update."

1. wilderness profile image93
            wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Paradigmsearch.  Google simply neglected to mention that the algorithm includes a quota system to prevent google's sites from losing traffic to better ones.

I think you and Paradigm make a lovely couple.  tongue

Why thank you!  The doomsday clock and the doomsayer - what could be more appropriate?

But seriously, watching the traffic figures since the first Panda, it just seems almost a certainty that there is a quota.  Not one enforced by an algorithm, though, but one manually applied whenever HP gets "uppity" with too much traffic.  A slow build to an increased figure, then a sudden drop.  Over and over and over it happens, and I just find it way too much coincidence.

The day-of-week sine wave disappearing was the final convincer for me. If there ever was a chart forensic indicator of artificial manipulation, that was it.

But, according to Quantcast, HP traffic overall still goes down on the weekends, like always.  That hasn't changed.  (Individual results may vary.)

2. paradigm search profile image54

Actually, we do get our shotguns and go fox hunting from time to time. lol

3. Ben Aidoo profile image60
        Ben Aidooposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You've said it all, Writer Fox "There is a limit  for domain clustering on page one, but even that has increased lately to allow more webpage results from the same site". Google is playing it safe by putting on page one articles from major media, professional and specialized websites. Faced with this change, I can see why hubbers who cannot increase their Google traffic, regardless of how much effort they make, would say there is a quota.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

I am a quota believer.  I don't feel there is anything more - or less - that I can do that will make a shred of difference.

Catch him before he falls.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12423305.png

3. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 8 years ago

Feast your eyes on this.  Here is a traffic graph for a site which Google loves:

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12423808.png

I have repeatedly instructed Google, Quantcast, Alexa, and others that my website information is not to be made public. I am perturbed.

You wish!  Those traffic figures are from ComScore analytics. Want to guess the website name?

1. colorfulone profile image78
          colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Zazzle! (?)

Nope. I know the print is very small on the image I posted, but the site gets 453,100,000 views a month.

Here's a clue:  I met the guy who started that site on Sunday.

1. Solaras profile image95
              Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Alibaba?

Nope.

Here's another clue: Jimbo

1. colorfulone profile image78

"Jimbo"?  (I am clueless)

The website name starts with a W. The guy who founded it is often called Jimbo.

2. PegCole17 profile image94
                  PegCole17posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Seriously? I recently had good luck when filing a DMCA on two of their websites that were using my hub. I was impressed with the friendly and personal response from them.

What site was that?

3. DrMark1961 profile image94
                  DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea but am definitely curious. Are you going to let us know?

2. SheilaMilne profile image91
              SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it odd that Europe uses it much more than North America?  Roughly twice as much?  Or am I misreading the graph?

Europe has a greater population than North America: 742.5 million compared to 528.7 million.

1. SheilaMilne profile image91
                  SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not twice as many though

2. wilderness profile image93

Google loves this site?  They have a funny way of showing it, then - world wide traffic increased by only 80% (not even double) in the past 7 years, with an actual loss in the last 3 years.

This site gets traffic from many sources, not just Google.  But, since I'm viewing all of the analytic statics for the site, I can tell you that it has never taken a hit from a Google algorithm change and Google loves that site. The site gets 453,100,000 unique visitors a month. Double that would mean about one billion uniques a month.  The world only has three billion Internet users!  What are you thinking?

I'm thinking that while internet traffic has increased by a factor of more than 10 in 7 years (doubling every year) their traffic hasn't even doubled once.  That's not particularly impressive, and neither is a stagnant rate of growth in the last 3 years.  HP does that well - this actually sounds like something wikipedia might see.  A large number of visitors, but virtually no growth at all.

You win the prize (except, that there isn't one big_smile). 

The statistics are for http://www.wikipedia.org/.  (Eat your heart out, HP!)

2. colorfulone profile image78

I really think there should have been a PRIZE! 
            ( I will donate $100's worth of SOS pads wink

2. brakel2 profile image72
          brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wikipedia failed the mobile test as did many others, as a side note.
          http://tfmainsights.com/wikipedia-bbc-r … ilegeddon/

Yea for Hubpages. I am sure we passed.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12423938_f248.jpg

5. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Sorry Writerfox, the Google Quota Theory is a religion and its adherents do not care that Google Quota Theory is implausible and without proof.  High priest Janderson99 is amassing his followers for a crusade. Bow before him and the arbitrary red line drawn on the Alexa traffic graph!

lol

2. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hey! There is nothing fishy about Google Quotas - the proof is in the pudding - the sea is rising and so are temperatures and you can't get over that. The tragedy of the commons rules the internet, like it does for fisheries, which recognised the need for quotas eons ago. There is a real prospect that the Internet will become conscious as GAIA to save Planet Water (Earth is a silly name). Quotas are obvious and real - the stability in traffic heralds control! Google twiddles the knobs.

6. paradigm search profile image54

Been gazing at my stats again...

Looked at the year-to-date for my account. The before and after is clear as a bell. The consistent, higher level before the sudden drop. The consistent, new lower level after the sudden drop.

Looked at the year-to-date for HubPages. Excepting for the few, unrelated swings; it is the exact same thing for the entire site. However there is a very interesting side note...

Check out US versus global. Almost all of our entire loss is from global. The US loss, though significant, is not nearly as damaging.

We all certainly have our theories as to the cause(s) of all of this... big_smile

As for me, I've decided to invoke my philosophy of life concerning the whole matter; the future looks too damned depressing and hopeless. Gonna go find myself a new hobby and revenue source.

If my account does eventually stop making monthly payout, I'll probably turn the freaking ads off as a public service. big_smile

7. paradigm search profile image54

Well, sports fans... Yesterday (May 23, 2015) is my new, first place, lowest traffic day of the year. The infamous HP-traffic-falls-off-cliff-day weekend is now second place. Unless I find myself something else to be preoccupied with, I'm going to hate this summer.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
      Jayne Lancerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Same here.

Those were the days my friend
        We thought they'd never end
        We'd sing and dance forever and a day
        We'd live the life we choose
        We'd fight and never lose
        Those were the days, oh yes those were the days

2. colorfulone profile image78

A friend got me started on a site called "sunfrogshirts". You do not have to design shirts to earn money. You can create up to 20 collections of t-shirts (up to 85 shirts in a collection) by other members on the site and earn 35% on sales. That's a very nice commission! 

You would have to go and make your own social shares because there are no social buttons on their site because it is designed to be iframed into your own website.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)