RESOLVED: Stats page and individual hub stats don't match - again.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (58 posts)
  1. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

We had this same problem a couple of weeks ago and it was resolved. Same problem again today though, so I'm reporting it.  (If we don't report problems, how can we expect them to be fixed?)

1 day stats are abnormally low, so I checked the stats on an individual hub. The 'day' stat there is higher than on my account page ... but there's another problem evident as well.

My pinterest views alone on that hub (displayed beneath 'day' total) are significantly higher than the day total itself.

1. Lady Lorelei profile image87
      Lady Loreleiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, peeked in this morning and wasn't even surprised anymore to see the numbers screwed up. Getting to be more the norm than having them show up as accurate. Sad thought huh? wink

LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1. I hope it doesn't become the norm though, Lady L. sad

2. Matthew Meyer profile image72
        Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is a known issue with stats at this time.
        Our engineering team is currently working on a resolution.
        Thanks for your patience.

3. profile image52
        tozoyomokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

4. ChristinS profile image40
        ChristinSposted 8 years ago

I think the stats here are always going to be wonky - always have been off and on the 3 years I've been here lol.  I'd suggest using Google Analytics for a better measure of your actual traffic, but yes, I wish the HP team would do something about how the stats work here to improve them.  When they go buggy it causes people to understandably get upset and wonder what the heck is going on?

When earnings are linked to hp stats, not analytics, it doesn't matter what analytics stats say.

The way I see it, all hubbers need our stats to be accurate.

1. ChristinS profile image40
            ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

And you'll see I said the same thing, but when there are glitches and one is uncertain as to whether the stats here are accurate or buggy - analytics is the best way to determine what your actual traffic is.  I agree HP should improve their stats, but I"m not holding my breath.

lol. I don't bother visiting analytics every time because it just increases my annoyance. It is easy enough to spot the obvious problems when page stats don't match. smile

1. colorfulone profile image79
                colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I maybe look at Google analytics once or twice a month. I just come to the forums and read what other have to say and know there is a problem. Nothing I can do about it but wait and see what is next. smile

5. paradigm search profile image54
        paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

As of this post, the time frames for HP and GA generally match. HP stats are stating approx. 57% of what GA says for Tuesday totals.

1. sallybea profile image93
          sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How frustrating, my views for the day are going backwards again!  How do you lose about fifty views in a few hours?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your views for the day are for the immediately preceding 24 hours.  They will go up and down.

Yes, psycheskinner, but they are supposed to go up and down for a reason ... with evidence to support the rise and fall. When they randomly change (contrary to the evidence), it is a problem requiring attention.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
                psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Is it really implausible that one hour or traffic might have 50 more hits than another hour of traffic.  Mine go up and down that much based on whether it is day or night in the US.

That's the time I'd be checking the stats for that individual hub, psycheskinner. Open the hub, click on 'stats', then 'day', then see if the 'traffic sources' add up to match the total views.

If you see a significant discrepancy, it is time to report a problem here on the forum so the team can address it. smile

6. The Examiner-1 profile image61
        The Examiner-1posted 8 years ago

Sally,
        Mine never straightened out. I just click on 'Score', twice, each time that I open the page. They are back in order and I do not not wait.

LongTimeMother,
        I just checked one of mine and it looked okay.

Hi Examiner-1. I have just looked at mine again. There is still a problem with the stats, (although the day stats on my account page now match the total day stats on two more hubs I checked - reflecting the lower number.)

The reason why I know there's still a problem is the discrepancy in the individual hub's stats. When I look under 'Day', the 'total views' figure is only about 50% of the total when I add the 'top traffic sources' stats shown in the same box (in 2 of the hubs I just checked. Can't be bothered checking every hub.)

When the stats are working properly, the traffic source stats add up to the same figure as 'total views' - or sometimes less because 'not all views have a discernable source'.

When traffic sources from external sources significantly exceed the total views showing, there is obviously some kind of problem.

Would you please choose one of your hubs that seems to have an unexpected/irregular number of views and see if you get the same result?  Thanks.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
            The Examiner-1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure what "unexpected/irregular number of views" meant but to me the one I chose before and the two more that I selected after phrase that had low comments and high views. Everything matched exactly. The only thing we cannot match up are the scores. So I hope that I have done it correct.

Thanks for looking, and telling me the results. smile

What I'd meant by 'unexpected/irregular' is the type of hub that generally gets a predictable number of views every day ... whether that number be 50 or 100 or 1,000 views per day ... but suddenly only shows 25 views (for instance.)

It is that type of hub that I check first, to see if it genuinely has lost its regular traffic, or if the stats don't add up when I check the individual hub's stats (by opening the hub.)

Practically all of my Hubs do that but I will check again trying to match what you are saying. I checked my two lowest scores - which I do not remember when they recived comments - everything on them matched except for the score on the stats page and "Top Traffic Sources" on the Hub stats, if that is the score.

2. sallybea profile image93

I think you misunderstood me, I meant that my overall average score went backwards instead of forwards, it was fifty higher this morning than it was when I said this.

When I sign on there is no arrow beside "Score" and I count down every four Hubs, then it jumps up again and I count down four more it jumps back up... It repeats this to the bottom. I click the Score word twice to get the up arrow and normal stats. Is that what you meant?

It turns out there is a known issue so not to worry, guess they will fix it soon,
              http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/130723

7. LongTimeMother profile image93

I just counted 21 blue arrows on my stats page. I think that's a personal record.

Last time they fixed the stats, my blue arrows all disappeared ... without the reward of red arrows. (Which I commented on last time, because if my actual traffic had dramatically increased back to more normal stats, I'd expect some kind of visual acknowledgement.)

... Just thought I'd explain that for anyone who is new to the plummeting views phenomenon. smile

8. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 8 years ago

'24-hour page view' stats just updated again, but the 'total views ever' remained the same.  I think the stats server needs antidepressants.

Same here, Writer Fox. In fact my total views ever have remained the same during the past 3 updates.

The most recent update saw me plummet even further ... and I've just broken my personal record. I now have 23 blue arrows.

2am local time so I'll wait for morning to see if I'm dead in the water. lol.

9. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Every time they "fix" this bug I still never get the lost views credited to the total views ever.  Not that it really matters since a staff member mentioned a long time ago that the ad earnings counter is separate from the views counter.  My earnings always look consistent with GA's numbers, so I don't worry.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My Ad Impressions on HP's stats were identical for 5 days in a row: April 29 – May 3.  That is IMPOSSIBLE!  And, it was never corrected.

1. profile image0
            calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Probably they never will be.

I think after years of offering us incorrect daily stats HP should just admit the task is beyond the skill set of its engineering team and do away with them.  Wrong stats are worse than no stats, and everyone with an ounce of common sense is using Google Analytics anyway. 

I would think it's a drain on their resources to give us daily stats, and even more so when they are wrong and a moderator has to come on the forum to announce they are "working on it."  Good lord, just give up already! roll

But those were Ad Impressions, which is how we get paid under the HP Ad Program!

As were mine, I think for three days. but eventually those dismal impressions just disappeared off the page never to be seen again.  I mentioned this again on another thread yesterday.

Go back to your earnings reports and check the dates April 29 - May 3 and see if the Impressions were ever changed.  Mine are still exactly the same.

They are as I thought, unchanged.  Those are also definitely not right, three days exactly the same!  One a point out but all of them are too low, far below my average..

Since it has now been three weeks and the figures have not been corrected, it is almost like the site programmers did this on purpose.  Either way, it's truly unethical.

1. Solaras profile image96
                        Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have been gypped as well.  May 1- 4 covers the weekend where I get my boost in traffic. I demand my extra 50 cents per weekend day!

2. CatherineGiordano profile image76
                        CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think HP got our earnings wrong on purpose, but it is worrisome nonetheless. People who don't keep a close watch on views and earnings might never know.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image72

We are going to review and recalculate the impressions for May 1 to May 3.
            Earnings are close to accurate, but there may be some change when the impressions are recalculated.

Thank you!

2. sallybea profile image93

Thank you very much, Matthew.

3. colorfulone profile image79

I have missed all the action. Maybe I should look at my stats?  tongue

4. CatherineGiordano profile image76

My earnings look like they are around 50% too low. Not what I would call close.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image76

Also I think the number of views in my earnings today is about 10%-20% too low, but since they have not been confirmed yet, maybe that will change.

I was seeing a 30% deficit between GA and HP earnings impressions taking into account the 60/40 split.

I just got an email saying they were still working on correcting it. 6pm EST on May 21, 2015.

5. paradigm search profile image54
              paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You sure did. My MTD earnings just dropped. And that was after yesterday's earnings were added. Tough town... Tough town... smile

6. Matthew Meyer profile image72

Those 3 days (May 1-3) have now been recalculated and audited. You should see new values reflected. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I see those dates have changed, thanks Matthew.

Now if the stats update regularly for the next couple of days, it will be a great weekend! lol. smile

I still think I was paid for fewer views than I actually had on April 30th. Maybe about 50 views too few. I don't know if it is worth my time to pursue it any further. And another day about a week ago looked off. I have to check my records.

10. LongTimeMother profile image93

Stats are not working AGAIN today ...

I just noticed that myself. The count looks suspiciously low.

2. colorfulone profile image79

I was so hoping for a glitch in my favor with 1 million views added.

11. LongTimeMother profile image93

So the stats returned to a more normal figure, which is good. But here's the latest discrepancy I've noticed.

My stats from '10 hours ago' were updated to '5 hours ago'. My one day figure was higher, although not much higher. However my total views ever only increased by 4. Got to be kidding me. For the previous 24 hour stats to have remained at the same figure as 5 hours previously, I had to be getting traffic - a lot more than 4 views.

So I took a look at the individual views on my hubs (according to my account page) and they are all showing exactly the same figures in day, week, month and ever in both the 10 hours ago and the more recent 5 hours ago versions .... except for a couple of hubs way down the bottom of the list that show a tiny change.

I do hope the team keeps an eye on this forum thread. It would be tedious to keep starting new forum threads every day or two.

I have lost at least 15,000 ever views to glitches when the counters stop running.  It does not mean anything except that I would like to reach certain milestones that I have set for myself, and losing ever views to oblivion makes it take that much longer.

Counting the views correctly is the one thing that HP absolutely needs to get right or they will lose all credibility with writers. I think the glitch I noticed last night is fixed, but it is hard to know. I want to spend my time writing a new hub, not trying to reconcile HP with GA.

The lag time is also very annoying. When I first started stats would update frequently and it would say "from 15 minutes ago." Now even when they update, it is from 6 to 8 hours ago. When I'm working on promotion, I'd like to know within hours what is working. As it is now, I have to wait until the next day at best.

I agree with Solaras. I set little goals to keep myself motivated, and I really like to know how I am doing.

2. colorfulone profile image79

I haven't thought about reaching ever view milestones but I can see why that would make it difficult to reach them.  The less I look at stats the better I feel.
            tongue

3. LongTimeMother profile image93

I just reached 3 years here. Like Catherine, I miss the days of reliable updates that were advised within minutes - not hours or, increasingly, days. sad

12. Sue Adams profile image94
        Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

How can I trust the accuracy of payment figures (which, b.t.w. have dropped to a third of what hey were 2 months ago) when the stats aren't working properly?

1. colorfulone profile image79

Certainly, accurate stats would be in everyone's best interest.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)