What are the pros and cons of Atheists?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 8 years ago

From another thread on the religious side of pros and cons. No one gave a list.
    Let see if any atheist are afraid trying this out.

From not being an atheist nor religious, I made my own pros and cons list anyways. Found out I am either.

Pros-
    1. Focus on what's really important in life. Don't concern on who's at the center of the universe. do not take the bible litterally, only methaphoricaly sometimes if it makes some sense.

2.Following my good sense rather than childhood indoctrination or religious fundamentalism. Not belonging to a groups self-superiority "one truth dogmatic" or blind faith. No anicent rules or paranoia about sexism, food, marriage, slavery, and money. No need to feel quilty or regrets of sin.

3.Having an open mind about ethics of nature and science. By use of logic, reasoning, history, and science to define your Aims

4. No need to fear God or Fear of hell (for you or your family) Blaming Satan was invented to scare people into obedience along with false promise of heaven rewards. Sometimes they go out and convert people rather than letting God/Bible do that.
    Cons
    1. The religious insist ON your error of your ways of thinking and if you don't agree, saying you are arrogant or delustional.

2. The most hated group in America,stereotype of being someone who's "evil" by religious groups Meanwhile atheist per capita have a better criminal record.

3. Social stigma, persecution by bigots. Some people think you couldn't possibly have any morals because you don't believe in their god. About 85% of the world believes in God wail your onesided also as you do not know if God exist (no proof)

4. More often, no afterlife comfort.

5. You can't run for office in some parts of your own country or be the President.

6. Not as high of paid jobs

7. Lower life expectancy

1. Link10103 profile image60
      Link10103posted 8 years agoin reply to this

1, 2, 3, and 5 are based on stupidity and ignorance from closed minded people. Obviously Im not saying that they arent cons, but they arent ones that come with being an atheist by simply identifying as one if you talk to someone whos IQ doesnt match that of a squirrel. Irrelevant point but I felt like making it anyway.

As for 4, If someone is an atheist, clearly they dont need comfort about the afterlife otherwise they would be a theist...so I dont see how thats a con. If it was strictly about comfort it would be incredibly easy to just not be an atheist.

I've never seen anyone ever mention 6, like ever. Usually places just wont hire you point blank if you identify as an atheist, but if they actually tell you that you can always bring them to court. Thats not particularly limited to atheists though...

As for 7...the only way that makes any kind of sense is if someone is an atheist in places where they behead them...and as we can see thats not really limited to atheists either. You mentioned running for office and being President, so I would have assumed you meant the US. Seeing as there are religious people who deny modern medicine completely or certain aspects of it when they need it to survive...I really dont see where 7 came from at all.

Castlepalomaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Do you have a list of your own?

1. Link10103 profile image60
          Link10103posted 8 years agoin reply to this

None that are much different from what's already been stated

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Pros-
    1. As with any belief system, feeling like you are being true to yourself
    2. As with any belief system, deciding how much you want to pursue it in an organized group or institution.
    3. Actually not being the most hated group in America by any measure.  Being an open atheist has never caused me any problems. And my job is plenty high paid, and my family history and lifestyle suggest I will live a long life, so that was not an issue either.

Cons
    1. Being a minority.
    2. I guess heaven would be cool if it did exist.

CNN Survey. I do not hate anyone, yet imagine telling a Christian group (85% Americans ultimate love) that their God dose not exist.  Then tell 85% of the world's population their God is not there.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't equate people saying what they believe to criticism of my beliefs.  I find many deists take the same perspective to living with and celebrating diversity.

3. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

I agree with some for sure.

For the pros I do like that I feel I'm getting the most out this life by not just looking forward to the 'next thing'.

I also feel that atheists tend to be more open-minded and accepting of different lifestyles which I think can provide valuable insight and experience.

For the cons, I do personally wish that I could believe in the afterlife or that I will someday see my loved ones again. But just because I *want* to believe that doesn't make it so. I'm sure it's a nice comfort to have and I am sometimes sad not to have it. But I view my non-belief as being just as strong and valid as someone's belief - I didn't choose it, it's just what makes sense to me.

That's really the only con I can think of. Maybe not having the feeling of a tight-knit community that some people get in church?

1. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Some atheists believe in reincarnation. Some religions also support atheism; Buddhism does.  You can if d your hope and community there.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image80
        Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Find!  I don't know how if'd came up.

I like to be a jelly or a triagrade. Travel to more places than man. Live longer than man, have no back pains like man. Don,t get punished for thinking or for living. In bible years compared to science years, the jelly fish has lived a 100 times longer.

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

Pros -
    1. Being able to think things through logically without having to rely on faith provides me comfort.
    2. A feeling of accomplishment that is all mine when I do something very difficult. Never having to pass off my achievements as some almighty beings.
    3. No need to mind other people's business unless their behavior is illegal or truly harmful to others (basic morals not killing people, raping people, or taking things that don't belong to them etc.).
    4. No worries of being stuck in an afterlife world with all the "forgiven" rapists, molesters, etc.
    5. Knowing that I am in control of my life and no one is guiding me towards a point provides comfort. (the idea of an almighty having a plan for me makes me uncomfortable, I prefer being responsible for my own outcome 100%)

Cons -
    1. Having to hide my beliefs or being unable to discuss them openly outside of the internet. Due to the fact I own my own business and live in the bible belt I risk losing clients if they find out I am not a believer (Has happened and I was openly told it wasn't good for business so I lost the contract even though my work had been valuable I was not worth the risk to the other business). Also I have heard people close to our family state they do not believe atheist should be allowed to raise children. So it is easier to just keep my mouth shut.
    2. Not having the comfort of a "father" protecting me when ill or seriously worried about my life. It would be nice to just pray away my worries. What an easy way out! I guess if I were dying it would be nice to know someone was "on the other side"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)