Questioning People's Love for God

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Phil Perez profile image61
    Phil Perezposted 8 years ago

There was this very enticing and interesting question I read on the internet about people loving God. Specifically, why do everything in your power to please God when God is supposed to love you already; is supposed to accept you for who you are? I must say, people are selfish in terms of their own definition of "love." That is, them asking for entrance and sanctuary in Heaven for the good they have done. There is a huge contradiction happening right now. That is definitely not what love is. So I ask you, why do you love God, and how do you love God (by how, I mean what sort of ways) ?

1. Craig Suits profile image64
      Craig Suitsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It amazes me that all these people below claim fact after fact about their god when no one on the entire planet knows a damn thing about a god or anything close. Humanity has had hundreds if not thousands of gods and for some reason, all of them are invisible and none of them ever presented themselves for a little well deserved authentication, It is so obvious it's pathetic, there is no god as humans perceive one to be and even if there was, he/she certainly isn't very friendly towards us humans. Get out of your religious organizationally created and supported cocoons humanity. Put your time, money and efforts into the good and survival of humanity rather than walking around all day praising the lord who could care less if you live or die corroborated by the easy million plus and innocent believers that met horrible deaths in just the last few years from "gods" natural disasters. The days of believing in fairy tales are over, that is if you wish to survive...

2. Felicia Lawyer profile image60
      Felicia Lawyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I love God because he first loved me. I try to do better because I want to please Him. I try not to take his love for granted. I love Him even when I don't get my way. I know that he loves me even when I don't do right.. I love him because He sacrificed his only  Son for my sins.

Phil Perezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's my point, how do you know all this? From the Bible? If so, that's not reliable enough to justify His love.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
          Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

FOR YOU!

No, because it's objectively true. Bringing in subjective reasoning is flawed. My opinion has nothing to do with the truth of the matter. I'm not saying the Bible is completely wrong. It has its shares of accurate statements and claims but must we not forget, the Bible was written by people; followers of Christ who in fact, was also a human being. Why does one person get the chance to be the Son of God/Man and nobody else does? What made Jesus so special? Nobody knows for sure...

Any book is still not enough proof. By enough, I mean 100% but I understand the difficulty it is to obtain 100% proof. We can't even unlock more of our cerebral capacity but we can say we know God, understand God and love God? I cannot understand.

1. janesix profile image58
              janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

People say they understand God, but of course they don't. They just project their feelings and ideas onto God. Then they love the false image they've created.

EXACTLY!

2. Felicia Lawyer profile image60
        Felicia Lawyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes he has presented himself. Once I opened my eyes instead of just listening to the opinions of others. He most definitely did authenticate Himself. Over and over again.  If you let him He'll do the same for you. He will not impose HImself. He has to be invited.

2. Caleb DRC profile image73
    Caleb DRCposted 8 years ago

As far as getting into heaven is concerned, God does not love us already, and He will not accept us for who we are.  To be saved we must stop sinning, accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and get to know God by study of Scripture. By definition, Lord means He can tell us what to do and we do it.

As far as how do we love God, that is answered in the first paragraph.

That is very interesting, Caleb! I never thought about God not loving us already. I mean it makes sense. After all, why would He put us on Earth (assuming that's where we began living) if He already understood each and every one of us individually? He's testing us! That's very plausible. I enjoyed your insight very much.

Of course, God loves us already! But we may not love God. God is impartial and loves unconditionally. It is we who do not perceive Him while restlessly pursuing our own goals, without thought of God and his reality. If God does not love us why should we love him???? Knowing God by scripture is a good start. But, by itself is not enough.
        ...as far as what I think.

But what does unconditional mean? Does it make logical sense, Kathryn?
          We don't even have the right definition for love (or else people wouldn't be trying to still find their own perception of it). It's difficult to say that without reason, God loves before reason is involved...I believe that to be implausible. Logically, there must be reason before anything is done. Just like Einstein said: with every action, comes an equal and opposite reaction.

Does your own father only love you when you only do what he wants?
            Did God give us free will?
            Does God only love us when we do NOT have free will?
            NO!  He gave us free will and loves us no matter what we do. He can't help it.
            If you never had a child you might not get this.

Philosophically, he "loves" me if he learned to accept me for who I am. My father helped create me, with a limited understanding of how my mind would work. With God, assuming He exists, He created me understanding completely how my mind works. Now why must we prove to Him how good we could be by not sinning if He loves us already and unconditionally? Will He still love us if we disobey or do not comply to His demands?

I'm still very young to have a child, Kathryn hahaha.

"Will He still love us if we disobey or do not comply to His demands?"
                That is part of religious doctrine and dogma. Do not go there.

God loves us unconditionally.

If you are an adult you could have a child.
                Imagine how you would feel if you had a son.
                You would feel 100% unconditional love for your child.
                Your son might not do what you want once he is past fifteen years of age, but why? because he does not understand that you want the best for him. He wants to do things his own way.
                You would wish him luck and tell him to get back to you after he learns from the school of hard knocks that his way will not work.
                Would you hold a grudge?
                No!
                You would be happy when he comes back of his own accord.
                Your love would never diminish for any reason.

Oftentimes children DO know what is best for themselves and DO make good choices. Their fathers rejoice at their children's successes... and learn from their children.
                Father, God, is better than human fathers in this way. He wants what is best AND knows what is best.
                When you are ready to listen, He will be there smiling as he always has been and will ever be.

TWISI

But that's not love, I have to accept that issue within myself to love my son first of all. There's a difference between caring and loving. When families abandon and shun their children because no amount of professional help, or interventions, or anything else is of any use so they send them on the streets. Is that still unconditional love ? I hardly think so...

But that actually is true that you mention, "He wants to do things his own way. You would wish him luck." But it takes accepting that about yourself that he will learn his own way instead of your way. Like I said, there's a difference between care and love. Subtle as it might be, there are significant differences.

care is love and love is care. Acceptance is both. God accepts us as we are…

But do we accept ourselves????
                    That is eventually the heart of the matter.
                    Are we fine for ourselves?
                    why do I meditate?
                    because I want to know myself better. my real self.
                    and the Self I came from
                    thats all.

TWISI

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

God just IS. God is Causal. Love and Joy. We go to God because we want to feel love and joy. We want to reconnect with what we already are... on a conscious level.
    Yoga and meditation covers this.
    Yoga = union with Spirit
    Meditation = becoming conscious of ourselves as spirit and comprehending our individual spirit to be one with universal Spirit.
    Eventually we will all go back home. There are many paths up the mountain to the top where Causal God resides. (Metaphorically speaking.)
    It takes a lifetime to many lifetimes depending on the desire of body, mind, heart and spirit...
    and devotion to REALITY/SPIRIT.
    One must find a Guru.
    Jesus is one. Krishna is another.
    The spiritual path is an opportunity and a possibility.

Yoga is just an action to HELP you to be more coexistent with your spiritual side. Meditation, too. It doesn't always work, not to say it never does though... It's what you realize and self-actualize that help you.

"When families abandon and shun their children because no amount of professional help, or interventions, or anything else is of any use so they send them on the streets. Is that still unconditional love ? I hardly think so…"
          No it is human frailty.
        However,  if the child WILL not be helped what can his parents do?

I believe they should help him and never give up on him. But if the child will not stay in his family's home or cooperate, tough love is the best. Love is not easy for parents in some situations. Human parents have their flaws. I never said parents are perfect. Mothers and the fathers love their children 100% but often loose their way in administering their love. Until perfected.

"if the child WILL not be helped what can his parents do?"
          You know what they can do?
          They can love him conditionally after accepting that there is nothing they can do and understand this is who he is. But hold on, hypothetically, is kicking him out an attempt to help him because they want to support him and help him realize the hard way or is it simply just giving up on him? It's hard to say. It's hard to speak about accepting when you're trying to help someone be a better person/realize their potential, because technically, you don't really accept them deep down.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Yes, it is the discipline brought about by willingness and faith. I benefit from meditation every single time.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

...for you two.
    Not for others who are more perceptive of reality which is not detected with man-made equipment. Here, you seem to be pushing your views.

Are you more perceptive of reality, or are you just relying on your imagination too much?

I can say with absolute certainty that I am perceiving reality. God is omnipresent.

Furthermore, He assists me whenever I consciously ask for help… even when I don't consciously ask, but inwardly I am open to it.
        How is this help given?
        Sometimes by direct awareness, sometimes through books and passages in books I am led to. Ask any believer. They will tell you they have had similar experiences. They are believers for a reason.

"Not for others who are more perceptive of reality which is not detected with man-made equipment."

So I ask you, Kathryn, what's a book?

one written by a self-realized master who knows a thing or two about reality!  Who's name is Paramahansa Yogananda. I feel free to mention him because he can take you two on. All you have to do is contact SRF here in LA
            (Self Realization Fellowship.)
            But you won't.
            Thanks for the freedom of speech.

2. janesix profile image58

Sure. And each believer has a different story. And they all "know" So who's reality is right?

Those who love God and have faith in God. They are right. They perceive God and his love with their souls.
            Proof of God is our very own consciousness. Where did it come from?
            ...from His Consciousness.
            I am not preaching.
            Just telling you the absolute truth of the matter, whether you want to believe it or not.

No, you're telling me what you believe. Not the "truth". Your beliefs are from perceiving reality, but filtered through your previous life experience and subconscious. Everyone perceives reality (which is objective).

It's whatever you are open to. As Jesus  would add... He who has ears to hear.... He did not say you had to have ears to hear.
                Let those of us, who have the ears to hear Jesus, listen to Jesus. Thats all I ask. Don't bombard US with YOUR doubt.
                if you ask for proof and then don't accept my proof, that doesn't seem fair.
                it is proof for me.
                who are you to discount anyone's proof?

Don't bombard us with your "truth".

Billions of people have a totally different truth than you. Who is correct?

Your own is correct. Knock on the door and it shall be opened.

repeating
                    if you ask for proof and then don't accept my proof, that doesn't seem fair.
                    You MUST understand this fact: It IS proof for me.

Who are you to discount anyone's own proof for themselves?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)