What are the immplications of giving permission to reprint

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years ago

Yesterday someone contacted me saying she wanted to reprint my hub "Does Religion do More Harm than Good" in her ezine. This is the link:  http://churchandstate.org.uk/

I was so flattered that I immediately gave permission. My article will be there right next to articles from "real" journalists. I will get credit as the author and she said she will ink to the article. A link is good except people will have already read the full article on her page.

Now I am not so sure if this is good for me, neutral or if it will hurt me. It does put my name out there giving me wider exposure. What is your advice?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would never do that because if this is an online application, you will have problems with duplicate content, ranking, etc.  It is one thing for people to give a teaser and then link to your work, but quite another for them to print the entire hub.

I would immediately rescind my permission. Otherwise, you will lose views, money and may even have a problem with Google.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image89
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Catherine,

Do you know if your article will be available to be crawled by search engines or just distributed by email or some other method not accessible to search? If it gets indexed by search engines, it will indeed cause duplicate content issues, as some Hubbers have mentioned.

relache's comments are spot-on. As long as the original remains published here, it shouldn't be penalized, but you may run into some of the other issues she points out.

CatherineGiordanoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Christy. Kirwan for providing the definitive answer.  It would have been published online. I decided the benefit wasn't worth the cost and the risk.

2. firstcookbooklady profile image85
    firstcookbookladyposted 8 years ago

Not to worry. Nice to have advertising done for you.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 8 years ago

It will be considered Duplicate Content if it goes on the internet.

I had a duplicate content notice once. It was quickly resolved and my hub was back to being featured. A web site had quoted me extensively in order to refute me.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If this ezine can be found with Google, this would actually be duplicate content and you would need to unpublish your hub. That would be the resolution.

4. Buildreps profile image84
    Buildrepsposted 8 years ago

That's always great!
    I'm told that HP doesn't allow the author to publish the same articles elsewhere. I don't know if this is the same case, since someone else publishes it for you.

Buildreps: Your response is more troubling. I don't want my hub removed from HP.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78

The other time my content was duplicated was on someone's blog, done without my permission.

This is an ezine that compiles articles from varius sources. I don't know if that makes a difference.

My hubs freuqently get picked up by publishers using paper.li to compile articles, They only take the opening picture and a blurb and then link to the hub.  They don't ask permission or tell me in advance.

When they do that, they do not need your permission because they are not duplicating your hub, only referring people to it.  That's how people should do this kind of thing.

5. Buildreps profile image84
    Buildrepsposted 8 years ago

Catherine, you could try contact the Hubpages team and ask this question.

I did that about an hour ago. No response yet. I did it because of you alerted me to the potential of a problem. As of 8am this morning it hadn't been posted yet. I hope I can get an official answer before it is posted. The problem you brought up hadn't occurred to me. I was only thinking in terms of losing views.

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Catherine, even though you gave permission to reproduce the article,

1) Google will still view it as duplicated and the church site will gain no benefit from showing the content because it's not original.
    2) HubPages will constantly tell you that Hub's content has been stolen because you have allowed it to be reproduced.
    3) now you have to make sure that no European sites steal or copy your article from the church site.  The rules there are different because the Digital Copyrigjt Millennium Act is an American law, so you'll have to make sure you know what you are doing there.
    4) if HubPages collapses, and the content goes away from here, that church site then owns the oldest version of that content and you may find that you can never use that content again.

Catherine, fair use allows quoting and excepts from articles.  Any writer needs to be aware of and understand the writing usage rules that exist.  You comments make it seem you might want to read up on that topic because your statements imply you do not understand Fair Use in an written/print or Internet/digital context.

thanks relache.  I think I should withdraw my permission.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you are looking at moving towards being professional perhaps you should stand by the permission and re-write the hub.  And next time you are approached request a small payment.

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is spot on.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78

Thanks psycheskinner. Good advice about asking for payment. Except I don't think I could rewrite it. it is perfect as it is. I can't imagine saying the same thing in different words.

1. brakel2 profile image74
            brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The purpose of rewriting is to prevent duplicate content if this issue is important to you. It doesn't matter how perfect it is now. You probably would save time by rescinding your offer, however.

I withdrew my permission. I understand I could avoid duplication by present the same ideas with different words. I probably produce something good if I tried, but not as good as it is now.

Here is the reply I got from the HP team in case anyone else has this question and wants the answer "straight from the horse's mouth":

Duplicate content is not permitted on HubPages.This means you can publish your content on HubPages or another site, but not both at the same time.So, yes it could be problematic. Abstracted from HubPages policies, it isn't a good idea for SEO either.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image78

Now that I have had a chance to think it over, I could have let the website reprint my hub and immediately made enough edits to the current hub so that it would not be seen as duplicate, basically rewriting it without changing the url. That way any links to it would still work. That would have been a lot of work and it would have made the hub less than my best work.

Yes, but then the links would take people to something different than what they expected.  I think you did the right thing, and the team's response supports this.

While it is flattering to think someone wants to reprint your work, it is also pretty darned cheap of them to not offer to pay you for doing so.  Also, if they are an online community, they should know that this type of request would compromise you.

As I said earlier, when someone approaches you like this, tell them they can do a brief summary that leads people to your work and then link to it, but they certainly cannot print the entire article.

Glad you rescinded.  I wouldn't worry about my professional reputation...you are a fine writer and will do quite well without plagiarists wanting to steal your work!

I told the person exactly the thing you recommend. I rescinded permission and said she could quote a couple of paragraphs and put a "see more" link to the hub. That would have been a win-win for both of us.

I'm comfortable I did the right thing, although it would have been a trip to see my name right next to the names of people who write for major publications.

7. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 8 years ago

I have always wondered about Hubbers who have their work published in  publications such as the Chicken Soup books.    I have hesitated publishing a short story there because it may be a duplicate.
    Anyone know about that??

8. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 8 years ago

Another website I write for allows other websites to use the first 50 words of an article (like a brief introduction) as a teaser and then a link that says "read more" that brings to your article. I would not give them the whole article for the reasons people posted above especially because of the duplicate content issue. Webmasters should pay $$$ for authors to provide content for their websites!

If they're looking for freebie content, I would ask if they can put a teaser only with a link back to your Hubpages article or you can rewrite it but ask some money for your time. I have re-written several of my articles for print publications and the newly written articles often come out even better than the earlier versions.  They often turn out quite unique, with a better twist.

And putting your link at the end of the article is useless as you say, since they already read through your whole article.

At this point, if they're refusing to pay you for re-writing the article from scratch, at a minimum,( if you really  feel it could benefit you as an author to appear on a popular website and you would like to add it to your portfolio),  I would expect them to post somewhere in the text a link to your Hubpages account like your clickable name that takes to your profile or something that says "for more of my content visit here" or a hyperlink using anchor text to a keyword in the article that takes to another topic- related Hubpages article. At least you get some traffic! If they are very popular, you can get a decent amount of traffic if the hyperlink anchor text is catchy enough. But you'll need to often check that they always keep that link live and don't disable it!

And always keep a record of whatever you agree on, you never know, one day they could disable that link and you have nothing to prove your agreement.  Just my 2 cents!

Thanks alexadry. Next time I'll ask for payment to do a rewrite. Perhaps it won't be as hard as I think to write something even better if I can get past the feeling that my hub just can't be improved upon. The woman who contacted me did agree to put a link to my profile page.  There is new content in the ezine all the time so my publicity would have been short lived anyway. I'd soon be archived.  And next time, I will ask for a written contract and not just give permission in a facebook message. I really didn't think things through when I was first approached because I was so flattered to be asked. Your advice is worth way more than 2 cents.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)