I'll Tell You Two Things You Can Change To Improve Your Hub/s

Jump to Last Post 51-97 of 97 discussions (424 posts)
  1. StitchTheDamned profile image68
    StitchTheDamnedposted 11 years ago

I just want to say, that I am really enjoying reading all the comments here. There is just so much to learn!

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image38
        Ceres Schwarzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the above comment by StitchTheDamned. There's so much very useful and helpful information in this forum that can really be of use to everyone. I'll be reading through all of this again because of all the information that can be used to improve our hubs. To WryLilt,  thanks for taking the time to help everyone and for giving such great tips and suggestions on how people can improve their hubs.

WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile Thanks.

2. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

Wrylilt your help and advice is greatly appreciated. Can you help this lost cause.

Senorjohn, weren't you attempting to lose followers a long time ago? How did that work out for you?

1. Divide your hubs up into subtitled capsules - you are currently using the italics and bold formatting and it's hard to read through. One big block of text is hard for internet users who like to skim.
      2. You might want to try for longer hubs too. And use some dot point and numbered lists (instead of typing them in yourself.) This will indent them and make them neater.

GO and do a 30 day challenge. It's a great way to get out heaps of content and learn as you go.

1. seanorjohn profile image71
        seanorjohnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Wrylilt.I appreciate your helpful advice.

3. theluckywriter profile image69
    theluckywriterposted 11 years ago

If you're still open to reviewing hubs, I'd love to take you up on it. I'm pretty new to this (only have 5 hubs) and would LOVE some feedback! I'm at a point right now where I know that I need to write more hubs, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. Thanks for being so generous with your time!

OMG Yum. I had to pin your coconut coffee recipe!

1. Try right aligning your videos. And if you have a page wide image, don't have it at half size. I'd recommend right aligning it or if you want a divider, get a thin line of text instead of a full blown image. And remember your description! That description often fills in the description field when the image is pinned AND effects how Google sees your images!
      2. Evergreen. Evergreen means content that won't ever get old. Your content has a lot of non-evergreen information that will likely need updating, or make it less and less interesting to Google searchers. Things like prices, TV shows that are already out of date etc.

1. theluckywriter profile image69
        theluckywriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the feedback!  That makes sense. I actually added prices to my travel hubs based on people's feedback, but you're right that they will require constant updating. food for thought...maybe I'll take down the prices. I hope you enjoy the coconut coffee! It's SO good!

4. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 11 years ago

You are such a wonderful and giving person to help us like you have.  I hope I'm not too late to ask you for your input on my Hubs.  The first ones I wrote are pretty bad, but I like to think the newer ones are better.  I'm a slow learner!
    I have really enjoyed reading this entire thread and thanks again!

Thanks Mary smile

1. Add descriptions into your images! Your cake pop hub has 26 pins yet when you pin the first image you have to fill in your own description. Put some good keywords in there, it will help both with pinning AND Google.
      2. You have a lot of little words hyperlinked to your other content. This works if you're trying to get backlinks or accidental clicks but not for driving traffic. Get in their face! Right align a text box, make it blue, give the reader a spiel on why they MUST read this other hub and throw your link up in bold!

1. mary615 profile image83
        mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to be a pest, but when you say to add descriptions into the images, are you referring to text on the photo or into the caption area?  When I Pin, I Pin the Hub, not a photo.  Am I doing that all wrong??
        I'll check on those little words that are hyperlinked.
        Many thanks for taking the time to do this!  I have learned more from reading this forum post than any other source here.

mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just made a discovery!  I said I was a slow learner...if I hover over a photo, the Pin button appears.  I never saw that before.  I pinned the first photo on my CakePops Hub  with a description.  I took out those hyperlinks. 
          Thanks again! smile

2. WryLilt profile image87

Mary what do you mean "You pin the hub, not the photo"?

You can ONLY pin photos. But the photo will be linked back to Hubpages on the Pinterest site.

When you "Pin" a photo, you'll see that a box appears for the description. Usually that box will pull the words from the photo "description box". If you don't have anything in there, whoever pins it will make up their own description, and if it's not a good one, it will show up in less searches on Pinterest.

mary615posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I think I've got it!

5. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

OK.  The Cherry thing.  I obviously can't self-promote on here, except in a caring way.

If one were to wander in the direction of my profile one might find a certain something vaguely related to the subject.

It used to be an article but I took most of the words out and added the cherry picture.

I had to wade through your hubs to find the damn thing (despite the ability to write, I can't read to save myself) but I finally found it. Near the bottom. But I pinned it. Last time I checked it had 6,254 (divided by 6255) repins. Hope you're happy!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol, and thanks!

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I bet no one said "wade through" to Shakespeare - at least not to his face.  The page in question, which wasn't actually a question but if it was I had answered it, was the first one on the carousel.  I mean.  It couldn't be more obvious if I had raised a flag and said "This way Wry to the page in question... not that... anyway".

To echo what others are saying...

Wry... wry.... wry...

Not really.  Thanks - I am trying to say.

While I am here, the MFP thing - words on pictures.  It took me the best part of two years to get even near fathoming that out so it is valuable advice.  Of course, I never take anyone's advice anyway but that's another story.

If Shakespeare wrote on the internet, he'd get 10 views. Total. Ever.

That's one thing people don't seem to get sad It's about search engines, not how talented or amazeballs you are!

*She said wryly*

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
            Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's a very fair comment.  I need to become a DIY consumer sports geek with a love of baking cupcakes.

Instead of just being a plonker.

Cupcakes are out, cake pops are in, Mark!

6. georgialgal1984 profile image83
    georgialgal1984posted 10 years ago

Wrylit, if you still have some extra time, I would love your honesty about my hubs. I'm still learning and greatly appreciate any help or advise I can get. I completely understand if you are too busy now. Hope you have a wonderful day~

Great use of MFPs. I had to go through and pin a few wink

1. You have big blocks of text in some parts, and small blocks in others. Instead of small blocks of multiple information, try using a dot point or numbered list (like in "10 Ways to Use Leftover Hot Dog Buns").
      2. Right align most photos and videos instead of having them full width. Only use bold/italics/underline to make a really important point, not sprinkled throughout the hub.

Also, make sure you use a description on the photos. Otherwise the description box is empty when you pin it. wink

1. georgialgal1984 profile image83
          georgialgal1984posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! You are awesome!
          (( Cyber Hugs))

2. georgialgal1984 profile image83
          georgialgal1984posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to say thanks so much for pinning some of my photos. I appreciate your support! smile

7. Suzie HQ profile image92
    Suzie HQposted 10 years ago

Wow, you are a power house, this is so kind of you!
    Would love your opinion if and when you have time but I fully appreciate your time in replying to so many so no worries!
    Love in particular, your views on my homemade skin care hubs as it is a topic/ niche I am particularly keen on exploring and building further.
    many thanks!

Your lemon & lime hub is BEAUTIFUL! Gorgeous use of images and nice layout!

1. I can see Made For Pinterest images going great on those hubs... Pinterest is full of middle aged women so perfect spot!
      2. Since you have a great grasp of the basics I'd say go for the interhub traffic next. Add a referral tracker to your links - that means anyone who clicks them will see YOUR adverts for a percentage of any page they visit on the site while the cookie is active. Plus, if they sign up, you get the referral.

8. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

I just created a hub using your advice, including a MFP photo at the top.  I usually write to an audience of experienced agility competitors who follow me on Facebook, but this one is designed for Google traffic.  It will be interesting to see if it takes off or sinks. 

Thanks for all of the advice!!

smile That isn't an MFP image. That's an image with a caption. If nothing else, it confuses me and makes me LESS likely to click. Use an image that tells the reader:

-This image will mentally prompt me, so I should bookmark it on Pinterest so i can come back later.

And tells people on Pinterest:
      -This is a cute image, but what it says makes me want to read further and find out more... I'm going to click!

1. agilitymach profile image93
        agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK.  Is this better? smile

Lots better smile

You still have this as the caption though, which means that's what will automatically go in the pin description unless the pinner manually changes it.

"The American Eskimo can make a great agility dog, although the breed doesn't come quickly to mind when thinking of the "best agility dogs."

Personally though, I don't really know what an "agility breed" is (yes I've owned dogs, but just as pets). Maybe go for something more people will understand, such as best protectors, best all round dogs, best dog breeds. Just my two cents - I could be wrong but from what you said it's quite niche, so that could lower the number of people searching on Google OR Pinterest for that topic.

It has to be "best agility dogs" to make sense for the article.  Agility is a sport that millions of U.S. dogs do with their owners, if only in their back yards.  There's a video at the end of my dogs doing agility in competition. 

The best way to describe it is with the word "agility."  I'll look to see if I can change the caption to something more simple.

Thanks for your help.  I'm starting to get the idea of a MFP image.  BTW, I'm already getting several Pinterest hits even after midnight Central time according to Google Analytics Real time. smile

I rewrote the caption.  It is much more broad and simple.

Thanks for your help.  It will be fun to see how it's doing by tomorrow morning.  smile

Awesome. Good luck smile

9. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 10 years ago

Would love some help too if you have time.

Lovely layout and images.

1. You have some white spaces, some images might do better right aligned instead of full width so you don't break the text flow and you may want to use images to break up the monotony of big blocks of text. But they're pretty awesome as is!
      2. Few too many lists in some hubs, which makes them harder to skim. For example: http://just-ask-susan.hubpages.com/hub/ … -Worksheet

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
        Just Ask Susanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks WryLilt.

10. VVanNess profile image77
    VVanNessposted 10 years ago

Is there a difference in pinning your article to Pinterest and pinning your pictures? I've read tons of posts where you are talking about pinning your pictures. Is there a difference?

Essentially they're the same thing. When you pin an image it links back TO the hub it came from.

That said, I recommend having the first image in your hub as a "Made For Pinterest" image, so you increase the number of visitors who pin it.

11. Jools99 profile image88
    Jools99posted 10 years ago

I think your post is so kind (and so unselfish) - I would love you to have a look at some of my hubs and offer your advice.  My TV hubs do well but other stuff - well, a lot less well sad  I am on the verge of calling it a day to be honest.

Thanks so much.

sad That's not good. Maybe you just haven't found your "spot" yet.

1. TIME IS NOT YOUR FRIEND! Lots of your hubs are time based. Ones like "Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice 200th Anniversary"... that's only going to be relevant for a year at most! You need to write evergreen. Even writing about time periods can see you slowly lose traffic as interest wanes. Try and get into topics that are never going to be time based - how to guides, reviews, etc but based around things that don't date, or date very slowly (How to grow nasturtiums, How to get yourself on TV, Top ten ways to make yourself famous...)
      2. Topics are too broad. "Top 100 Beatles Songs"? I'm sure that there are dozens of sites, forums, music notes, tumblr posts and blogs with people's favourite 5, 10, 50, 100 Beatles songs. Be unique. Or write about what you can't find an answer to. Ever Google a question where all the answers were on Yahoo, or in forum posts? Jump in and write a hub!

1. Jools99 profile image88
        Jools99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much - time to narrow my focus and above all, add value and be original....not easy but I do like a challenge smile

12. David Trujillo profile image52
    David Trujilloposted 10 years ago

Hellow Again,

I´m writting a historical series around the Colombian Conflict and would like your review.

I´ve tryied to keep it as engaging as posible, is called "An Easy History Timeline To Understand The Colombian Armed Conflict"

Thanks!

Hi again David! Normally I'd say too many lists and use of bold, but I think in this hub it works ok. I can't say much about the topic though - are people looking for information on this? Will it be out of date in a few months?

1. David Trujillo profile image52
        David Trujilloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You could be right, I wrote it mostly because I wanted to learn myself the story behind the conflict. I guess analytics will tell us in a few weeks.

I have another hub which has become my most sucessful so far with search engines. I´ll ask your review in another forum comment.

13. sholland10 profile image83
    sholland10posted 10 years ago

WryLilt, you are amazing!  I have learned so much from reading your advice.  I have been on HP's for 2 years.  I make HP pay-out about every other month.  I have never reached pay-out with Google, though that is where most of my traffic comes from.  Any tips?  I know I am coming in late, but I would appreciate it if you could take a look at some of my hubs.  Thanks so much! smile 

I am excited to see what you glean from your research. Again, thank you!

You have some great search friendly content - how to guides and "top lists".

1. You could check out Cardisa's guide on SEO for creative writing for some of your stories.
      2. Get rid of all the links to other people's hubs. Link more between your own hubs - drive traffic from high traffic hubs to low traffic related hubs. ONLY link to someone else's hub if you're using a referral link AND it's a hub that you really think is going to be relevant to the reader. Keep readers on your hubs for as long as possible!

1. sholland10 profile image83
        sholland10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, WryLilt!!  I appreciate your time and effort!  You are the most generous hubber!!  Looking forward to your hub!! :-)

14. barbat79 profile image62
    barbat79posted 10 years ago

Can you please help me out on this hub?  Why it did not meet the "featured" status.  Please critique if you are still doing this.  I need feedback on it.  Thanks if you can
    http://barbat79.hubpages.com/hub/Simpli … -Annuities

I don't know the exact things that are measured by the QAP but I'd hazard a guess that it's a saturated topic hub. Usually hubs in a saturated topic (weight loss, finance etc) are held to a higher standard than normal hubs.

1. barbat79 profile image62
        barbat79posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I dont think my last reply actually posted. If it did I apologize for the redundancy.  It was strange that the hub had no icon "pending" and then a long while after i sought your input, it became featured.  Thank you so much for answering. I learn more and more about hubpages as I create more hubs.  Your reply gave me more insight to what is needed! and how "saturated" topics are treated!  Thank again! smile

smile Sometimes it can take awhile before the system figures out what to do with your content!

15. David Trujillo profile image52

Could you review my hub "Evian Dancing Baby Madness!". It gets some search engine traffic, I guess because the latest commercial of Evian Babies was just released 2 days before mu hub was published. How can I improve its SEO?

Looks like a great hub... you have a big white space at the bottom in the eBay capsule. You could try adding a Made For Pinterest image at the top right... do you have much competition for this topic?

1. David Trujillo profile image52
        David Trujilloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The new commercial "Baby Inside" video gives me tough competition from major marketing and news blogs. For "evian baby dancing" I´m on second page of google after all the major news blogs. I´ll take a look into my white space problem.

Do you think the name of the Hub is the best, or can I improve it somehow for better SEO?

You have to remember that it not only needs to rank in Google, but that REAL people are looking at it. From a "real person" perspective the title is a little confusing. You can try adding more of a hook to it to make people click if they see it in search - "See all the videos" or something along those lines.

16. NitroD profile image63
    NitroDposted 10 years ago

Hi Wry! I would appreciate you looking at mine if you have a chance? Thank for the great help you are giving us smile

1. Your topics are very broad and I can imagine many of them would have a lot of quality competition. "Adventure Mystery Hidden Object Games" would be better being more niche for instance - about a SPECIFIC hidden object game. "How Do You Know When Someone Is Lying?" - very broad and unless it's the best of its type on the internet, unlikely to beat out older and better articles and websites, especially with shows like "Lie To Me" making it popular.
      2. Use bold and other formatting sparingly, and don't forget to add your referral tracker into any interlinked hubpages URLs.

1. NitroD profile image63
        NitroDposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much! Perfectly agree with the articles "broadness". Didn't know about the referral link wink

17. tom_caton profile image80
    tom_catonposted 10 years ago

Hi WryLilt, I do alright out of an index hub leading to 20 or so other hubs, but others don't fare so well in search engines, say for example this one. Any ideas?

1. Work on your title. What's the "frugal living" part all about? Recipes are naturally competitive, so you have to fill your title with some more angles (or niches). For instance gluten free or quick meal or something that people will look for in closer relation to recipes.
      2. For better SEO you can change the titles of the pizza photos to include any many keywords you want to target. Don't "keyword stuff" but put synonyms of your main topic and angles in your subtitles and image descriptions. Google wants to know that you're serious about writing on pizza and everything in your content needs to point to that!

18. Toytasting profile image60
    Toytastingposted 10 years ago

Hey WryLit, if you are still open to reviewing hubs, I would appreciate if you could remove some time to review my hubs. I am fairly new to HubPages and have 10 hubs published. You are doing an awesome job here. Thanks. Cheers!

1. I'd say most of your topics are in areas where you have plenty of competition. So you need strong titles and you need to think about what people will type into Google to find your type of content. For instance "Warning: Monster High Dolls Ruling the World". Are people likely to Google "Monster high ruling the world"? I'd say they're more likely to be looking for "Why monster high is bad" or something along those lines. Think like the Googler!
      2. Right align your images/videos/amazon capsules so you have a continual run of text down the left hand side. And a hub like the Barbie one could have an Amazon barbie for sale exactly the same as the picture, in case anyone wants to buy one. Your top right area is also prime real estate - make sure you have an ad block, a Made For Pinterest image or an Amazon/eBay capsule there.

19. Vlorsutes profile image73
    Vlorsutesposted 10 years ago

I'm curious to see what your opinions of mine are. I'm always looking for new ways of improving mine.

1. Most of your titles make me think of blog or news story titles. You need to match what people are Googling, not go with a "pretty title." Reviews can also be bad ways to bring traffic - there are usually hundreds of reviews so if you're going to go with that niche, you need to make one REALLY good - very in depth, exploring a new angle or hilariously funny.
      2. You have BIG blocks of text with no break. Break them into shorter paragraphs, add a dot point list now and then... keep me engaged. And top right is prime real estate - make sure you have an ad block, a Made For Pinterest image or an Amazon/eBay capsule there.

20. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Hi WryLilt, I'm back! smile I appreciate the earlier support and comment about my having good content but that I'm in need of title revisions. I've been working really hard on changing hub titles and making them more search-friendly. I'm sure I have more work to do and request a quick critique via my subdomain. Please pick two of my hub titles in need of tuning and let me know so I can continue to work on them. Thanks smile

They're looking a lot better! Overall it's hard to give advice on what titles will work best exactly, without knowing much about the topic area but here are two tips.
      1. Use the Hubpages title tuner if you haven't already.
      2. Think about other words people will be Googling that relate to your topic and see if you can slot them in so you're covering more niches not juts aiming at one. For example, in a hub on bread - adding in even a short section in the hub about gluten free, pumpkin bread and sourdough could help bring related traffic and you can add one or more of those words into your title too.

1. janshares profile image91
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great suggestions, never would think to slot in a word to garner niche traffic. For example, putting the word "tithe" in the title for hub about fear of financial commitment at church might pull in more traffic?! That's brilliant. Thanks again, WryLilt, for your help and encouragement.

Yes, you've got it... adding in the word tithe would be a great example.

Yes it's important to go with "niche" topics but you can go for more than one niche at once!

21. Phillip Rearick profile image73
    Phillip Rearickposted 10 years ago

Hey WryLilt!
    If you have time, please take a look at my hubs and let me know how I can improve them. I am pretty new to this and feel that I am not very good. So, I would love some help here!
    Thanks

Great start on titles... they're clear and they're problem solving issues, which people look for in Google.

1. You may be able to narrow down your topics a little. For instance you could find some niches on fixing problems with particular software that isn't as widely talked about except in support forums - specific modem brands, niche programs etc. You could even start looking through some of the bigger forums, see issues people are complaining about and start hubbing on those.
      2. Titles like "The How and Why to Downloading Torrents" might be better matching more closely what searchers are looking for. For example "What Are Torrents and How Do I Download Torrents." Some of your hubs are also quite short... you may want to add some more text as the best hubs are around 1000 words. I have a hub on increasing word count on my profile page if you want some tips on doing that.

22. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 10 years ago

I have taken your advice and am in the process of working on text on photos for Pinterest.  I wrote a Hub about Emotional Support Animals flying on planes,  and I'm disappointed in the amount of traffic it is getting. 
    When you have some time, would you take a look and tell me what you think of the Hub.
    Thanks in advance.

Mary I really need to ask - who is your audience? Who will be typing this into Google? I may be wrong, but it really has a "news story" feel to it, and doesn't appear evergreen. It's also country specific - doesn't help me much if I'm in England or Australia or anywhere else.

I think you've got the cart before the horse - you need to target what people ARE searching for, then give them new information. Currently you're providing information that they don't KNOW to search for.

With images, what program are you using? Try and avoid serif text in plain black - experiment with complimentary colours and other font styles. Also, your images don't make me want to click - they look like a caption, not a teaser with a promise of more...

Thanks so much for looking at this Hub.  I thought anyone interested in emotional support animals would find the article through a search on them.  I never thought about other countries!  I am sure you are right about that. I am using PicMonkey for text, and am still experimenting and learning.
        I had such high hopes for this Hub.  I'll do some more work on it:  not exactly sure how I'll do that, though.  Maybe I'll just do a rewrite.
        You are the greatest for all your help.  I certainly appreciate what you are doing here to help us!

I do wish you luck with it... fingers crossed there is a demographic out there looking for something along those lines.

Try playing around with the shapes and pictures you can add on Picmonkey - you can fade them in and out and add a strip for your text to sit on.

I changed the text to a script on my first photo, and changed the second photo to a better one, I think.  I searched Emotional Support Animals in Google and mine came up on the first page, but I don't understand. It doesn't go to my Hub, but rather my profile....
            When you have a minute tell me what you think of that search and what it means.   
            Thanks again for everything.

Mary, this usually just means that Google has visited your profile page since you published, but it's yet to visit the hub itself. Not uncommon, and it should find your hub soon too.

Thanks so  much for checking that for me!  I still have hopes for this Hub.

23. HollieT profile image81
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

Wrylit, I only have one hub on this account, but about to publish another one today using the same format. I'd be really grateful for any suggestions for improvement. Cheers smile

Looking great Hollie! You've done a great job using clear subtitles that will hopefully match other information people are searching for relating to those birds/animals. I love how you've promoted your own artwork at the top of the hubs!

Anything I said would be nitpicky and just what I don't like personally haha. Leave fullstops off subtitles, you could try "photos" instead of "pictures" and the full width Amazon capsule at the bottom of the African dogs hub could be swung to the right. But they're just personal preference!

1. HollieT profile image81
        HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Wrylilt- I keep forgetting about the full stops, it's force of habit. big_smile
        I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look. I'll make the changes.

24. Judi Bee profile image91
    Judi Beeposted 10 years ago

Hi WryLilt

If you still have the time, I'd be grateful for your opinion.  My traffic used to climb pretty steadily but started to die back in early November last year and has been sliding away ever since.  Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks!

smile I don't know much about the history niche, but I'd be worried you'd have some stiff competition with history websites and similar - so make sure you're checking your competition before choosing a topic.

Also, on many of your hubs you're not using your important top right space very well - this is one of the best places to have adverts, Made For Pinterest images or anything else you want to promote.

1. Judi Bee profile image91
        Judi Beeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the advice smile

25. Desmith3 profile image68
    Desmith3posted 10 years ago

New here, but what better time to get some excellent advice? Nip those bad habits right in the bud! OK I have taken a deep breath and prepared for the worst, what do you think? BTW, what you're doing here is nothing short of awesome smile

Dwayne, I think you need to work on your titles. They're catchy, but not really good for search engines. For instance how many people are going to be Googling "Fido" when they look for pet insurance? You need to mention pet insurance in the title to make it clear to Google what you're on about. In a hub like "5 Best Excuses to Travel in an RV", I'd say that people are more likely to be Googling something like "Reasons to buy an RV" - it's important you think about what people will type into Google to find your information and work your titles accordingly.

The links list at the bottom of your hub is unrelated to your topics... when people get to the bottom they may want to read something more on the same topic, not on something completely different. Create some more hubs on similar topics and interlink them.

1. Desmith3 profile image68
        Desmith3posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I'll work on that. The title thing is from writing for a pay per article site where you needed catchy titles to sell articles, but I need to get into a new habit here. Working on more hubs for linking, so I guess it could be worse! Thanks again smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Word of warning - fix those links sooner rather than later.  If you have unrelated links in a Hub, it's at high risk of being unpublished.   Being written by the same author doesn't count as "related" - they have to be on the same topic!

+1

Done. It would be nice if some of these rules were a little more obvious. It seems that the amount of information and advice is so overwhelming here that you have to either know to search for something or make the mistake first to find out about it. I was in violation with some of my photos before I just happened across a Hub about them, as a result of reading this post, in fact. Thanks for the heads-up Marisa.

Perhaps one of you veterans could write a "Beginner's Guide to Hubpages"?
                Maybe you, Wry?

1. SimeyC profile image89
                  SimeyCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One exists - it's called the Learning Center big_smile

" little more obvious"
                    I did not say it didn't exist.
                    From the Hub "New to HubPages? Start at the Learning Center! Using the Learning Center on HubPages.com"
                    "One of the first things I did when I joined HubPages was to visit the Learning Center. It’s not a very apparent button or hyperlink on the home page/welcome page for HubPages (perhaps that should change?),"
                    I tried the instructions in this Hub and still haven't found it.

1. wilderness profile image94
                      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Click the "help" button at the top right of this screen.  You will find a link to the learning center there.  The hub is probably a little too old and hasn't been kept up with the changes - it used to be as listed in that hub.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
                Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean.  There are two fundamental problems.   

One is that the Learning Centre has become so vast, it's daunting for the beginner to know where to start.  In fact, there are several 'how to' Hubs for newbies, but good luck finding them amongst all the other information!

The other is that HubPages introduced a LOT of new rules in the wake of the Great Panda Update of 2011.  Most of those rules didn't help the site recover - that was achieved by moving to the sub-domain structure we now have.  Nevertheless, none of those rules was ever relaxed.  I've often thought there's a strong case for HubPages to review its rules and see if it's possible to streamline and simplify them.

2. David Trujillo profile image52

Hello again my friend,

Just  wanted you to take a peek into this new kind of hub.

"Rodrigo D No Futuro Complete Movie Online and Critic Review (with english subtitles)"

As you can see I have posted the complete movie from Youtube in three subsequent hubs with citic reviews of each scene and a walktrhough of the movie (it may be hard to follow for foreigners). Going to Hubpages to watch a movie? What is your opinion? If it works it means terrific SEO for the amount each user spents on my hubs.

And another hub: "5 Most Original Mother´s Day Gift ideas". It may be too broad but I wanted to know your opion on writing hubs that are holiday based. I was thinking of changing the title to "Most Original Gift Ideas for Mother´s Birthday" after mother´s day. Is this a good thing to do?

Looks like there are only about 880 people globally Googling "Rodrigo D No Futuro", and 58 in the US, each month.  Plus you have stiff competition - Youtube videos rank in Google too, and there are plenty of movie sites having their say as well. Always check your competition and make sure there is enough traffic to make it worth your while.

3. CyberShelley profile image76
      CyberShelleyposted 10 years ago

WryLilt, I would really appreciate your insight and help on my hubs.  Thank you for your generosity toward me.

smile I'd recommend writing your titles Like This Instead Of LIKE THIS - on the internet capitals are the equivalent of shouting. You also need to offer more in your titles - why should someone click on that title, what will it give them? How to, the best of, secret ways... give them a hint as to why they NEED to click.

Some of your topics are in very saturated topics - there are thousands of articles on things like coupon clipping and saving on grocery bills. You need to work on finding smaller niches so you don't have as many pages to compete with in Google.

1. CyberShelley profile image76
          CyberShelleyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your insight, much appreciated.  Will change the titles to lower caps! Will also look for more niche subjects.

4. Persecution-ave profile image60
      Persecution-aveposted 10 years ago

I would definitely love your help- have some ideas and new article strategies that I want to apply to my next three articles, but any insight beforehand would be great--

I can only see one published hub, but I'd say you need to pick some more niche topics - generally finance can be pretty saturated. Remember, you're competing in Google with thousands of other writers, so you need to pick topics that aren't written about hundreds of times already.

Try and right align things like poll capsules so that people get an unbroken string of text on the left side. You're also going to lose traffic by linking out to random sites - if you need to link out, do it at the bottom and link to your own hubs in the hub itself.

1. Persecution-ave profile image60
          Persecution-aveposted 10 years agoin reply to this

txs for the advice-

5. caseymel profile image90
      caseymelposted 10 years ago

Hi WryLilt,

I was wondering if you could look over some of my hubs and give me a review.  It looks like you are giving out great advice!

smile You seem to be very niche in some hubs (What It's Like To Live In Bristow, Virginia) and in very broad topics in others (How to Choose a 529 Plan). I'm a little worried that you're not checking your competition when writing on a subject.

You have some white spaces in hubs as well - make sure you check them after publication as ad placement can break up where your capsules originally sat.

You also have some hubs on getting followers. Are you aware that Hubpages followers, internal traffic and driving traffic from your personal social media etc are low spurts of traffic that won't continue? It's better to work on building up a brand and getting organic traffic from search engines.

1. caseymel profile image90
          caseymelposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks WryLilt, I appreciate the help!!!  (-;

6. JasonLicerioPH profile image74
      JasonLicerioPHposted 10 years ago

Criticize my hubs please! Should I take down some of them?

I think you need to work on neatening your hubs - they're full of white spaces, low quality images, and full width content that can be right aligned. Photos are great, but you don't need a picture for EVERY point you make, unless it's definitely related... one meaningful picture is better than three low quality and barely relevant ones.

Some of your topics are very broad and saturated "The Search for Online Jobs: Advantages of Online Work" for instance. You need to work on finding niche topics.

1. JasonLicerioPH profile image74
          JasonLicerioPHposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot! Checklist:
          - Write more words
          - Images should be quality rather than quantity
          - Niche topics

Did I get it right?

Thanks WryLilt!

Sounds good smile

1. JasonLicerioPH profile image74
              JasonLicerioPHposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much WryLilt!

Keep up the good work big_smile

7. Scribenet profile image62
      Scribenetposted 10 years ago

WryLilt...I just have to say this is a great thread... Terrific work. I already followed a few of your suggestions I had never thought of moving photos to the right...looks so much better.
      ...decided to follow here so I can find the thread again!

I will be going through all these great suggestions in time . I don't want to miss any!

I may not be the most prolific or dedicated writer, but I still want to learn all I can. Last thing I want to do is waste my time even though I write for the enjoyment of it...still want to present as best I can!

Thanks!

Thanks big_smile

8. Codebreak profile image70
      Codebreakposted 10 years ago

Do you mind checking my hubs. I have re done them all.

I think there are quite a few things you could do to improve your hubs:

>Think about your titles - how do they match what people are typing into Google? People probably aren't Googling things like 33 pounds or 3 months in relation to weight loss, or The Lost Art in relation to honesty and how to be honest.
        >Many of your topics are broad and in saturated areas. For instance weight loss is OVERLOADED with thousands of fad diet websites and articles.
        >Use subtitles to accurately describe what the section is about. Subtitles are important to Google and to people who skim read.
        >Many images are pixelated. That means you're stretching them too much.
        >Right align images, instead of breaking the flow of text.
        >Some of the hubs seem too short to be in parts - there's no reason you can't have them all in one.

9. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I've finished my hub, collated from most of the advice I've given in this thread. If you want all the information in one place, check it out!

1. Codebreak profile image70
        Codebreakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for your insight.

10. My Cook Book profile image60
      My Cook Bookposted 10 years ago

Hi WryLilt, you are doing a great job. I would like to see as well what suggestions you will provide me so that i can improve my hubs.

1. Your topics are VERY broad. There are thousands of articles on weight loss, and hundreds of cooking and drinking and restaurant sites talking about things like coffee and tea. Pick a niche!
        2. You've tried to set up your HP account like a website. Unfortunately, colour coding on your profile won't do much - 99% of visitors from Google will never visit your profile.

11. LauraD093 profile image71
      LauraD093posted 10 years ago

I'm game any help would be appreciated-been here over a year and haven't made $50 dollars yet (doesn't really matter I get a steady paycheck but would love to improve my traffic) here's one of my hubs:

http://laurad093.hubpages.com/hub/5-Mus … at-Walmart

1. Very very general topics - and many of the words in the title have nothing to do with what people will be using to find them in Google. Your titles are what help Google decide what you're writing about - make them precise, not pretty.
        2. Right align images and videos, neaten up hubs and attribute images where needed.

12. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 10 years ago

Wrylit - I think this is a wonderful thing you are doing! Thanks for helping improve the quality of HP!!!!

Thanks Simey smile

13. AlinaNycole profile image60
      AlinaNycoleposted 10 years ago

Thanks for the input, I'll be implementing your advice on the next one.  I did add a few pictures to my current hub.  I read your hub and it was very helpful as well.

smile

14. sahbam16 profile image68
      sahbam16posted 10 years ago

You seemed to have helped many a Hubber! It's amazing you're willing to give of your time to help others. I keep trying to alter my hubs but I'm only getting 5-15 views on each a day. Could you help please?  Thanks!

Your topics are WAY too broad. Think about what other sites and people are writing about "President George W Bush Senior". Not only all the wikipedia style sites, but news sites, top bloggers, political activists, yada yada. You need to write on topics not many people are writing on!

Give me a reason to want to read your hubs - give me a different angle. If I want a history lesson or autobiography I can read a history site or book. Be controversial. Or provide new information. Or start a conspiracy theory.

15. StoneCircle profile image87
      StoneCircleposted 10 years ago

WryLilt
      I have found many of your comments to be very informative and I just keep learning. I have gone back and tweaked a couple of my hubs already. I have just begun here, so I do not expect a ton of traffic, but I look at this place as a great learning tool. I would be paying hundreds of dollars to get this at an online school. Thank you for your time and passing on what has worked for you. I am truly thankful for all of your lessons.

That's good to hear, good luck with your hubbing smile

16. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
      Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

Everybody needs a good editor, and you may never do anything else at the rate this amazing forum is going!  What a generous thing to do.
      One question:  I've gotten conflicting advice about unbroken text flush left and use of white space.  What's your reason for encouraging both of these trends?

Hi Kathleen, I'll try and answer what I *think* you're asking:

->Flush text. Many people have full width videos or images. This breaks up the reader's concentration and interest in the text, and sometimes also makes them think "that's the end of the article". Right aligning the content means that the reader isn't as likely to lose interest - they can still see the pretty pictures, but continue reading, too.
        ->What type of white space are you talking about? Having any big white block of space looks messy and makes it appear you've forgotten something?

17. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
      Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

You've answered both questions just fine.  Thanks for the info and for the help you are providing to hubbers.

smile

18. jdw7979 profile image72
      jdw7979posted 10 years ago

Heck, just browsing through this question and answer forum is giving me pointers!! Kudos..

Cool big_smile

19. Man of Strength profile image71
      Man of Strengthposted 10 years ago

Hi, Wry!

I'm a new Hubber, I joined about two weeks ago. When you can, give me some feedback on my hubs. Thanks in advance.

20. arnelirobles profile image61
      arneliroblesposted 10 years ago

Hello guys. I just started creating a hub and I'm a beginner. Do you have tips for me? Please do visit my hub http://hub.me/afmRj and see what should I need to improve.

Thank you.

1. jdw7979 profile image72
        jdw7979posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am a new Hubber as well. Just keep pounding away and picking up on little things here and there to better your hubs along with taking any sound advise. Also, proof read until you are blue in the face!

Good luck and have fun!

1. arnelirobles profile image61
          arneliroblesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for info. :-)

21. agapsikap profile image61
      agapsikapposted 10 years ago

Hi,Wrylit! Glad to have found this thread. Can you give me some feedback on my hubs?

I'm no longer updating on this thread as all my information was compiled into a 2,200 word hub... take a look at my profile page to check it out smile

Great Hub.  Thanks for all your time and help!

22. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image59
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years ago

I repeat please give me your evaluation report on the following hub:  http://sunilkunnoth2012.hubpages.com/hu … th-Breasts

I am no longer updating this thread, however you can find all my recommendations in my latest hub on the topic smile

23. SouradipSinha profile image84
      SouradipSinhaposted 8 years ago

Reading this thread was fun big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)