Why do people keep calling Discordianism a fake religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image51
    Requiaposted 14 years ago

I just came across the 'bogus religions' hub and found my own religion listed on it.

Why do people continue to paint Discordia with this hateful brush that we're some parody religion?

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Whatever floats your boat religion-wise (you'll have a few takers on this I'm sure), but I am totally offended, as many artists everywhere should be by the way you have attempted to use the metaphor of a "hateful brish(sic)."

1. jonwenberg profile image61
      jonwenbergposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what whit! smile

3. profile image51

Don't be silly, thats only offensive to painters.  Other artists are left out.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have made an excellent point.  Keep it up!

4. jonwenberg profile image61
    jonwenbergposted 14 years ago

What is Discordianism?

1. profile image0

Regarding whit...I'm not so sure about that, but I try.  smile

Discordianism might just be associated with Satan worshipping (?):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discordianism

The OP really should tell us more!

I just looked at the wiki link; looks more like a sci-fi gathering than a religion, but who is to judge. The IRS I guess.

1. profile image51
          Requiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The IRS being involved would require us to make enough money to be required to file the income.  Thats generally avoided, though not for lack of trying.  (Also, parody religions like pastafarianism *do* get tax exempt status).

You might avoid the whole issue by claiming that this is a sect of christianity. I think Jusus demonstrated enough of a bent toward disorder with the temple/money lender incident to lend you a slice of the christian pie.
            (I feel a little bad for writing that, but I think JC must have had a sense of humor)

2. jonwenberg profile image61

I became your fan recently, love your writing. Can I view your painting work anywhere?

1. profile image0

Thanks.  I wish...(about the painting)!  I've gotten more into photography (but need to take it more seriously) by this point.  And all is hard w/ a ft salaried job...

Do you have your architectural design work on view anywhere?  I became your fan, also...my bf is an architect.

Thanks to you too.
            BTW - You have a great book list. I think Joseph Campbell changed my life. I like his talks with Bill Moyers also.

Architecture work - I have a somewhat underdeveloped website: www.mdsarch.com
            You will find a small handful of residential projects here; I don't show any professional work I have done for other firms, only my own recent independent projects.

1. profile image0

Very cool!  Like your paintings.  I am (well, was) an abstract expressionist, too.  Matt is just getting his architectural design on the web.

I wrote something here, but it disapeared.
                Post Matts url for me when complete; always interested in other architects work. The SW is a great place to build, great climate.

I would love to see your painting sometime; I don't judge, just participate.

1. profile image0

Thanks.  I do graphic design & write, so this is my, lol, current work:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Work-Samples

And my paintings were similar to this (not mine, but I love her work):
                  http://www.evaryn.com/gallery/red-ice3.htm

Matt does a lot of Santa Fe style stuff (clients), but he does some modern, too.

Very nice.
                    I know you are a writer, but is always interesting to see what else really creative people do.
                    Bed time for me; thanks for the chat.

5. Pamda Man profile image59
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Discordianism is similar to Pandaism. Actually derived from Pandaism. The basic law in Pandaism is that everything is nothing and nothing is everything. Well, you get the idea.

Mind you, Pandaism and Discordianism is actually million times more scientific than Christianity. It's not all just beliefs and theory, it's also science. For instance, entropy has taken an important part in Pandaism. Read more on the holy book of Pandaism...

Panda Man

1. profile image0

And you should realize that you incorrectly spelled 'Panda' as 'Pamda,' which is silly. Do you and Requia know each other?

1. Pamda Man profile image59
        Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How is spelling something wrong silly? Besides, it was a typo. Do not try to start a flame war. Please.

Oh, topic creator was talking to those who know what he/she is talking about. If you have no idea what discordianism is, then stop posting in the topic. Sometimes admitting you don't know something is better than blatantly posting in topics, asking for topic creator to explain. Why are there so many people like you? Sigh...

And no, I do not know topic creator.

Panda Man

1. profile image0

Na.  I post in topics such as these (but only occasionally) because I like parody.  Sigh...  Some people just don't get brilliant whit.  wink

2. profile image51
      Requiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've never heard of anything like that in Discordia, unless you mean the 'All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense...' thing, which is totally different.

Also, Discordia is over 50 years old, Pandaism is only 2 as far as I can tell, be kindof hard for Discordia to be derived from Pandaism.  (Unless you have time machines, in which case I really need to borrow one).

6. Pamda Man profile image59

Do you know me? smile

7. Pamda Man profile image59

I still think Pandaism > Discordianism > Buddhism > Christianity

Which means Pandagod is the origin of everything. HAHAHA!

Panda Man

8. profile image51

I have no idea who Panda Man is.

As to the wiki page... *checks what it says this week*

9. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I'm willing to bet 90% of Hubbers have never heard of Discordia.  Maybe you should write your first Hub on it.

10. Pamda Man profile image59

There's no point in writing a hub on Discordia. There isn't really much to say about it. Chaos is strong - 1st commandment of Pandaism - basically explains everything.

11. profile image51

I think Jesus got sainted a few weeks ago actually, when someone did some digging into 'turn the other cheek'.

The philosophy part of the wiki page is pretty good right now, the rest is either about discordians instead of discordia or utter nonsense (and thus absolutely critical).

12. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

i didn't. I don't know what that is!

1. profile image0

I don't think many people knew.  And whatever...like I say, whatever they want to believe is fine with me, actually, as long as they aren't hurting anyone else.

Thought perhaps they were trying to get the 'serious' Christians to reply. lol  You know what I'm saying...

1. kmackey32 profile image66
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh yea I gotcha! lol weird seems that the religious threads always wanna attack people!

First rule of trolling: Never use religion as an attacking topic.

http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html

"AVERAGE: Posting "God Doesn't Exist" to all the alt.religion newsgroups. Here you are being too obvious. People recognise this sort of trouble making and have usually learned not to respond to it. However, if your troll is well written you can actually entrap a lot of newbies.

This, if executed correctly, can be exploited to cause great offence to those more experienced troll avoiders on the groups you are attacking. Go for it!"

Living life as a troll has really given me an insight towards other people.

13. Pamda Man profile image59

No I don't know what you are saying. It seems to me you are attacking Discordianism.

1. profile image0

OMG! lol  No, actually couldn't care less, actually.  To each his own, I firmly believe.

And if you noticed, I was more interested in talking about art...and was also addressing kmackey previously.

These forums do border on the ridiculous, sometimes, though.  I reserve the right to satire, wink.  I'm sure you agree.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. We are cool. smile

14. kmackey32 profile image66

ok maybe im really tired... Im not getting it. IDK

15. kmackey32 profile image66

seems every time I go to read any of the religious threads here on hubpages its wrote to attack another religious person. I mean who cares what others think is what I mean.... Its there choice and is not hurting anyone.

1. profile image0

You got it right, kmackey.  You're just not totally cynical, yet. (I'm not either, thought I try to be.)

16. Pamda Man profile image59

Pandas live a long time. None of you has ever seen a dead panda.

17. profile image51

I don't see this kind of thing so much as an attack, as a complete and utter failure to 'get it'.  I'm more curious as to why people think its a joke.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it is any consolation - I think all religions are a joke.

Except mine of course. wink

Qft. Except Pandaism of course.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)