Your travel time

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 8 years ago

How do you spend your time while going for a long journey in a train?  I love reading and listening to music. Also enjoy watching the surrounding scenery along the route while traveling long distance.  Please tell me your activities during travel time.

2. littlething profile image93
    littlethingposted 8 years ago

I've never really traveled by train, living in a rather rural area devoid of stations. However, during my long commute, or when I'm traveling for fun, I like to listen to music or podcasts. On really long trips, like my last 7+hours in the car trip, I'll buy an audio book to listen to. I'll download them to my phone, plug in it with an AUX cable, and listen away as I drive.

sunilkunnoth2012posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You should try train travel since it is an enjoyable as well funny experience.  Your idea of listening to audio book is fine. Doing so we can pass time as well enrich our knowledge on different topics. That was a great idea Robin Sharma described in his famous book Who Will Cry When You Die. I love to hear something more about audio books. Please give me some idea as I am a clueless about it. Thank you for your reply post.

1. littlething profile image93
        littlethingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I actually love listening to audiobooks. You can find pretty much any book in an audio book format, but if it's a new release it can take some time for the book to be released as an audio book as well. I use Audible mostly, and download the books onto my phone. Audible is available through Amazon, and the app is for Android, iPhones, and I believe Microsoft as well. The only downside is how expensive they are. On average, I pay about $21 for a decent audio book. Typically the audio is clear, and the narrators excellent.   Hope this helps!

3. Nagalekshmi profile image60
    Nagalekshmiposted 8 years ago

Nothing can substitute music.But I do play cards or other games while with friends and family.Photography is another option.The best experience can be had or reminded always during a long travel.I take it as a golden oppurtunity to think about my golden days during long journeys.

Sure, music is a very good option.  But nowadays I am more into reading books rather than listening to music.  Photography, as you said is an interesting thing while we travel.  I do take snaps while passing through the beautiful areas in the country.  Konkan rail route is my most favorite and have enjoyed the beauty of the place and have taken several photos. You can see some of my hubs featuring the Konkan beauty. Thank you for your comments.

4. Virginia Allain profile image87
    Virginia Allainposted 8 years ago

I enjoy a long train ride so I can watch the scenery if I haven't been that way before. If it is dark out or if I've seen the route many times, then I like to read.

Right, long train ride is a pleasant experience and I do enjoy it regularly since we have good rail connectivity at my home town Kozhikode. You can find more information about my home town from my hub titled 'Why I Love My Home Town Kozhikode',   Like you said, I too during night or dark out prefer reading books. If I have passed the route earlier, then also I go for book reading. In all other cases I love to enjoy the surrounding panoramic view of the area I pass through. Luckily my land is so blessed with such beautiful places. Thank you for your comments.

5. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 8 years ago

I enjoy watching the beautiful sceneries that we are passing while riding on a train, maybe take photos using my mobile. I might play some games on my IPad if I get bored. Or just shut my eyes and sleep.

Yes, I too love enjoying the time by watching the beautiful scenery along the route. I don't like playing games on Mobile Phones but love taking photos if it is worth to capture. Thank you for your response.

6. Kimberleyclarke profile image82
    Kimberleyclarkeposted 8 years ago

I'm clearly a bit boring...I often end up falling asleep! The rolling scenery is like a lullaby, hypnotising me to slumber!

7. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60

You are lucky. I never get sleep during day time. So enjoy my time with reading, writing, listening to music and taking snaps of the scenery around. Sleeping the whole time is anyhow not a good choice since you are missing then some of the fun of a travel,

8. integrater profile image60
    integraterposted 8 years ago

I like to watch the scenery , the trees and greenery . I rarely listen to music or read book when I travel by train .

9. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

I love watching the scenery when it comes to any trip whether by train, car, or bus. If it's especially long then I'll listen to music, do word puzzles, or play apps on my phone. A good book can help too, if you are able to read in a moving vehicle.

10. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60

In my opinion a comfortable reading is possible only in train.  In fact almost all kind of fun activities can be had from inside a train. While we travel  in a car or bus, it is somewhat difficult to read and write. Thank you for your comments.

11. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

I used to travel in trains during 1970s and 1980s. I was working in Uttar Pradesh near Varanasi and had to travel each year to my native place in Andhra Pradesh. It used to take 36 hours to 40 hours in the train. So I along with my wife used to spend watching the sceneries, lakes, mountains,  train passing through 5 or 6 caves also in Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra regions. It used to be exciting journey with wife enjoying and gossiping and sometimes, reading novels or newspapers and magazines. There used to be no mobile usage in those days and hence no photos.
    Nowadays, most of my family members meet in Hyderabad itself. So it is only a car or auto journey of  one or two hours now.

That's a wonderful nostalgic trip that you shared here.  Why not write a hub based on these fond memories? I love to visit Varanasi and it is  a great experience for anyone. Please do write something about the Varanasi or better what we call the Kashi, its ghats and the devotional life there. Thank you for your comments here.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I shall ponder over it later and try to publish one hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)