255 Words in my Hub..... Er .... Enough?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (29 posts)
  1. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 8 years ago

I'd have laughed in the face of anybody posting this question.  Of course it's not enough.  You're idle, that's not good enough. No way.  Breaks the rules.  Dumb farquer - what ARE you thinking?  Go away and write more you moron. 

All valid responses....?   And more....

Yet I've been "Hub Pro'd" - and they've taken my hub from a  600 word "masterpiece" (well, it was working), to a 255 word hub. I can also see no image attribution for the photos that have appeared by magic

Is this what I should be emulating as my template for success?

If so I can bang those out all day ...... !!

smile

Now, I don't wish to "undo" it, if the professionals believe they've constructed a huge hit .... but it does make you wonder.

Maybe my Tip of the Day should be: tear up the rulebook folks, this is easy!

1. agvulpes profile image86
      agvulpesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So which Rule Book do we tear up This Weeks v2  or Last Weeks v3?
      Oh my what is the world coming to ? smile
      I did read somewhere from an official source that lack of attribution on images does not mean that a Hub cannot be awarded a HOTD ?

2. Robin profile image85
      Robinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think the Hub answers the question, although I think we should have added a section on why it's not safe to reheat chicken more than once.  Maybe you can add that bit; personally, I'd like to know!  Your Hub gets most of its traffic from the keyword "reheating chicken".  I think we should have changed your title to "How to Safely Reheat Cooked Chicken".  I'd suggest doing that.  Let me know if you would like us to take a second pass at editing the Hub.  Editing is a process, and I appreciate you looking at your Hub and evaluating it.  We'd love to work together with Hubbers to get it right! 

The photos were commissioned by HubPages photographers, so we don't need to attribute them.  I hope you like them!  smile

earnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm not "precious" about my work .... money talks.  If it works, then great. No fiddling required smile

I was just startled and surprised.  I'll now sit by the money pot to see what happens next.

smile

3. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That’s like a Bubblews article at 255 words.

1. mary615 profile image81
        mary615posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh, yes....I remember them!

4. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm speechless.

Do let us know the effect on your traffic to that Hub.  roll

5. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You've now got 10 H2 Tags on a 255-word Hub.  Not good.

In addition, you have five images without Alt Tags.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/130692? … ost2735826

Your Hub is now in violation of Google Webmaster Guidelines.  I predict your traffic will fall in a couple of weeks.

6. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is a typo in the quote at the end. You can add at least one more word in perfect safety.

2. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 8 years ago

It will be interesting to see how your Hub does from here out.

I'd be even more interested in hearing about the thought process that led the editor to think that 255 words is an acceptable mark. Is there a new case study they should be sharing with the community?

Otherwise, just about every piece of reputable advice I've read over the past several years suggests that articles with a much, much higher word count tend to rank better on average.

The last thing we need is for the HP community at large to start pushing out 250-word Hubs.

3. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 8 years ago

I will, of course, be checking the stats ... but it was "doing all right" before they upped its game.  So, it'll probably be subjective whether any changes/improvements are to be attributed to the re-write, or if it'd have done better as it was.

I think I will "rob" my old copy and bung it on my own page/s elsewhere.  Shame to waste all the hours of time I've spent writing that, finding the images, watching it, tweaking it over the years.

4. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

Talk about striking gold if that works out well. I always thought it needed to be 1500+ words to generate decent traffic.

I used to sweat over hubs - and haven't written any for many months (years?) as it's so daunting. 

I will have to reappraise my attitude and approach to writing and see if I have been "missing the point" all along smile

Nothing noticeable stats-wise so far....  *twiddles thumbs* ... actually, I shouldn't do that.  The amount I make wouldn't cover the cost of the band-aid/plaster required for a sore thumb!

smile

2. Suzanne Day profile image94
      Suzanne Dayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you enjoy your subject, you'd end up with 2500 words easy. The idea on how to write all this is to babble on about every thought about the topic, then edit it to make it sound professional.

It's more fun doing it this way than worrying about word counts!

5. Craftymarie profile image84
    Craftymarieposted 8 years ago

I find this particularly interesting and will be keen to know if the traffic on this hub takes a dive or remains steady.

We were encouraged en masse to produce lots of shorter style articles on Squidoo in the run up to its demise. They did not work and attracted almost no search traffic at all. I know they were pretty much a complete failure from talking to many other writers as well. This is hardly surprising since, as you'd expect, it normally takes a lot more than a mere 255 words to explore a topic properly.

It didn't work on Squidoo and shorter blurbs haven't worked long term on other sites either. I'm not just talking about working with search engines since some of these websites also get labeled as spammy and banned on social media like Pinterest.

I'd be amazed if this new style took off on Hubpages. Would 255 length hubs even remain featured if not edited by a professional? I'm not going to be trying it anyway.

6. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

Geez, and I posted an 800 word hub yesterday and thought I was pushing the limits on short length.  I too will be very interested in how that works.  For some things I can definitely see a "less is more" approach to be the best, where other subjects demand more detail.  I personally think that drawing out something that could be short and sweet can also be seen as "spammy" or gaming the system, especially if you end up being repetitive. 

Like anything else, I think there is no one size fits all approach to great content.  This definitely piques my curiosity though, so definitely going to follow along and see where it leads smile.

1. Suzanne Day profile image94

I believe longer hubs do better. They have more words in them, words you can be found with.

7. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 8 years ago

Is it a poem? A flash story? You should have at least 750 words. A normal Hub needs 1150 words to begin with. Add photos, etc. and see how many words that you have, then you have less to write.

1. Suzanne Day profile image94

Just get excited about the subject, write heaps of whatever brain dribble you have, then edit and polish to professionalism! I often write 2500 word hubs that way, with almost no effort because I am soooo excited about the subject and want to share my opinions (though these get dumbed down in the edit).

8. Robin profile image85
    Robinposted 8 years ago

In most cases, longer, in-depth Hubs do better.  However, we don't think you should add fluff just to achieve word count.  We recommend building out your topic and providing your reader with all of the information that they will need around the topic.  I agree, we probably could have figured out how to add a bit of content to this Hub, but it would be hard to write 1200 words on this topic.  We also think that photos are an important piece of the content.  The original photos in earners Hub add a lot of value.  We are also starting to commission infographics now in HubPro which is really exciting.  We are thinking about photos/illustrations as content and not just a supplemental piece.

9. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years ago

Looking at this particular Hub and the attractive use of photos and the Classic callout option surrounding important information about reheating chicken, I think it could go viral on mobile - maybe on Pinterest. I'll post it.

I think Infographics are big news on Pinterest as well.

10. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image76
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 8 years ago

I agree with the ones who believe that the long articles do better.  I can see it in the numbers.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good to see you! What you say true of my own Hubs - the short ones draw few readers, so I added more material.

11. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years ago

I have always thought that more words are not always better. It depends on the words. If I take a 1000 page article and edit it down to 500 words, I often feel like I have made it better, distilling it to its essence.

On the other hand, if I take a 500 word article and stretch it to 1000 words, just for the sake of word count, I rarely feel like it is an improvement.

Shorter articles are not always the easy way though, fewer words does not always mean less work.

HP has not usually supported this view though.

12. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

How about an update. How is your shortened hub doing now?

I don't know ....looking quickly at the stats graph there was a very noticeable drop in the first instance (probably when I first moaned in this post), it's since gone up to where it was before.

CBA to load up Analytics right now to ponder an accurate answer to that.

13. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I would hold onto the content that was taken out and save it for updates if the hub does not perform as well as it did or as hoped it might. Best wishes, I hope it does well and puts even more money in the bank for you. I am interested in knowing how things go too.

14. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 8 years ago

I just checked the Hubpages' provided stats again and the graph is showing that it's slumped again, so no real noticeable difference at all so far.

1. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)