copyright and quotes for 'educational' use..

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I am writing a new hub, with an educational intent, and I would like to include, in its entirety, a very brief poem by Dorothy Parker.

The latest copyright date  by her is 1956.  (She died in 1967.)
    The current copyright is Penguin Books, 2006.

Can this poem be used in my article under the educational rule, or should I write to Penguin Books for permission?

1. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's still under copyright, and including a poem in a commercial article, even with educational intent, does not fall under Fair Use. (Remember, you are getting paid as a writer, not as a teacher.) You should write to Penguin for permission.

DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ok--I kind of figured as much, so I've already sent for the permission.  However, I thought the 'commercial' use meant actually using the segment/page/quote or what have you, as a stand-alone way to make money.
        The fact that it's to be buried in an article with no commercial intent (I'm not trying to sell anything--it's a purely educational article), and the ads (so often unrelated to the content!) are what pay me, it seemed as if it should skate by.
        Sigh...things are so damned complicated all the time.  Hopefully, they will grant permission, and I can use the actual poem instead of just linking to it.  I don't like links that take the reader off my pages!

1. bravewarrior profile image88
          bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The fact that you're posting the poem in its entirety falls under the plagiarism rules unless permission is obtained. You'll have to site the source and give attribution to the proper entity, along with a statement that you have permission to post it. Regardless of what other text is in the post, it (the poem) is being used for commercial purposes since you get paid for each page view.

2. lisavollrath profile image92
          lisavollrathposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Going forward, assume that everything you write on HubPages is for commercial intent. If you get paid, by whatever means, it's commercial.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think it's pretty clear.  If you are writing an article for commercial purposes, anything you use within the article must be legal to use for commercial purposes.   That includes poems and photos.

2. LillyGrillzit profile image79
        LillyGrillzitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

1+

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Even with permission you are going to have a lot of issues with this Hub due to the content duplication. Personally, I feel this is not a good content fit for this site.

GAH!  What a royal PITA!!  I guess I'll just end up putting only a link, then, even if I do get permission.... but that is so unsatisfactory....

1. SheilaMilne profile image93
          SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If it's short enough, maybe you could add it as an image.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
            SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1, as long as you are granted permission from the copyright holder.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Ah--that might work; good idea--that gets past the 'duplicate content' filter!
            (And yes, it is very short!)
            I await the permission, so that hub is on hold.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

Update:

Well, I have heard back from Penguin Group, and it is not looking good.  Instead of giving me either outright permission, or a straight denial, they have sent a letter requesting additional information.

The very nature of the questions leads me to believe it will end up a denial, anyway, as they have asked question neither I nor anyone else would be able to answer!  Here  is their list of "requested information":

--Indicate the total number of anticipated users  (WTH??!!  No one here has a crystal ball!)

--Is this a for profit or non profit site?  (Yeah..I guess it is 'for profit.')

--Do you wish to allow the end-user to print or otherwise reproduce multiple copies of this material?  (Really??  It's online!  I have no control over that!)

--Is site subscriber-access, password-protected?  (DUH--no)

--What is the date (mm/dd/yyyy) of your initial release:  (Hell if I know--that depends on YOUR reply!)

So, I guess that's that!  If it looked more promising, I'd go forward, but this looks more like they are looking for reasons to deny, or charge me a fee I couldn't afford anyway, so eff it--I'll just put a link. 
    I'm not going to play games and jump through 10K hoops just to get turned down. I've sent a politely worded e-mail to that effect. 
    I have better things to do with what little energy I have right now.

3. stephenteacher profile image68
    stephenteacherposted 8 years ago

The U.S. has clear ways of using copyrighted material. If you follow those rules, you are fine...outside of HUB. If HUB determines it's too much duplicate material, they may close it down, even if you follow the rules. I don't agree with most duplicate content hysteria, as google and the web are chock full of duplicate material. Every big site from yahoo to amazon, New York TImes, etc. uses duplicate, copied material...no big deal.

I choose to stick with hub, so I choose to follow their rules, guidelines, and decisions. Make no mistake about that.

I think most people would be amazed at how much and how you can readily use copyrighted material. Commentary, news, satire, etc. all following the many, diverse rules on copyrighted material.

Off topic, but more than half the world could care less about US laws.

That is so very true, and I agree about the "duplicate content hysteria."  As you  say, the WWW is chock full of it.  Even on Google, so, IMO, HP has a hard time defending their position as being based on what Google wants/likes.

It is also true that many other countries routinely copy all manner of written content without regard to copyright laws; they are unaffected and cannot be prosecuted by our laws, so they simply don't care.

As for my predicament, as you can see from my update, they wanted answers to questions for which there are no reasonable answers!  It's a dodge around a direct 'no.'
      That's okay:  the material is already out there at various sites online, and I'll simply link to it!  A virtual nose-thumbing, if you will.  And, realistically, once you publish something publicly online, you really do lose control over it, so all of this uproar is a lot of tilting at windmills.
      LOL

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

The internet is indeed "full of" duplicate content.  And Google penalizes it by heavily reducing the ranking of all but one copy (their best guess as to which is the original) when they detect it.

Thus letting people posy duplicate content without any limitations would negatively effect Hubpages by loading it with a lot of low value material.

I'm in no way suggesting that posting duplicate content is a good idea; I'm merely pointing out that people all over the world do it anyway, and that once you post something online, you have really lost any control over what happens next.  People are going to do what they are going to do, and other countries do not care about and are not bound by our laws.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)